Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Watford Post Match Thread - 1-1

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

The league table taken from after we beat Villa 4-1 away in December until now has us in 15th with 12 points from 12.

If that sort of form continues, even after a 3 month break, the arguments that the bad form was down to tiredness, injuries, bad luck etc can't be used. I don't think desire is an issue either. It's more likely that teams have sussed us out to a certain degree and we haven't adapted.

Hopefully we can find our rhythm again tomorrow night.

Yeah, this can't carry on for a game longer if we're to realistically finish top 4.

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

We DO have a height and physicality problem at both ends of the pitch. If only Wes was 10 years younger, Barnes built like Traore and we had a 6 foot 4 midfielder who could play like the positives of N'Didi and Kanté combined. 

:beer:

Tony Pulis would cream himself

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

The league table taken from after we beat Villa 4-1 away in December until now has us in 15th with 12 points from 12.

If that sort of form continues, even after a 3 month break, the arguments that the bad form was down to tiredness, injuries, bad luck etc can't be used. I don't think desire is an issue either. It's more likely that teams have sussed us out to a certain degree and we haven't adapted.

Hopefully we can find our rhythm again tomorrow night.

I didn't even realise that, that's shocking really. We need to somehow get 3 wins in the next 8 games, even if we need to shithouse them.

First competitive game for months so i was expecting somewhat shit show for the first 45 min and lack finesse. Gray though is the most frustrating player we have ever had. I just dont know what to think of him anymore, it actually pisses me off when he plays well...cause hes so inconsistent.

• Like 4

We have to caveat the selective choice from that Villa game in December however. 

Twelve games since which included Man City H&A, Liverpool H, Chelsea H, Wolves A.

If we take those away it's 10 points from 7 games. Such a ratio would see us collect 11 points in the next eight games which will be enough. 

No doubt the Norwich games were a disaster and the real failure. Two wins there, we are about qualified.  

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

In fairness, they were robbed of a win in the most blatant and unfair of ways, and then got a red card vs Newcastle.

Agree on the Villa game. Watched the first half only v Newcastle. My point was more to their style of play. Could just be the return to action and them not being up to speed, but it all seems a little slow from them where as pre-shutdown, they were in your face and bombing forward at every opportunity. Almost like the momentum has been drained from them now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

I do question why we are so shit at defending corners. Theres been quite a lot of corners where we've been lucky the free man has fluffed their header as well. 

I swear we were incredible at defending set pieces up until February when we played Chelsea and the commentator said how good we were and then since then we've let a several in.

46 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We have to caveat the selective choice from that Villa game in December however. 

Twelve games since which included Man City H&A, Liverpool H, Chelsea H, Wolves A.

If we take those away it's 10 points from 7 games. Such a ratio would see us collect 11 points in the next eight games which will be enough. 

No doubt the Norwich games were a disaster and the real failure. Two wins there, we are about qualified.  

Imagine if we'd finished our dinner in both games v Chelsea, we'd be as good as home and hosed. I know we didn't lose either but they feel like two huge opportunities missed.

56 minutes ago, Simoken said:

First competitive game for months so i was expecting somewhat shit show for the first 45 min and lack finesse. Gray though is the most frustrating player we have ever had. I just dont know what to think of him anymore, it actually pisses me off when he plays well...cause hes so inconsistent.

He’s an impact sub, and a good one too. Unfortunately no one really wants to be an impact sub, including Gray

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I swear we were incredible at defending set pieces up until February when we played Chelsea and the commentator said how good we were and then since then we've let a several in.

Seem to recall a statistic that up until December we had not conceded a goal from a set piece all season. We had the best defensive record in the league overall. It seems that those defeats to Liverpool and Man city somehow knocked us right out of kilter and we have not been able to recapture that form since

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, urban fox said:

It seems that those defeats to Liverpool and Man city somehow knocked us right out of kilter and we have not been able to recapture that form since

Perhaps it shouldn't surprise us that those 2 defeats will have knocked us sideways. We have a young team, and nothing can have really prepared us for being wiped out like that. Confidence is a fragile thing, it'll take a little longer to return. Maybe it will take beating someone of that ilk to restore morale fully.

Guest An Sionnach
4 hours ago, FIF said:

We DO have a height and physicality problem at both ends of the pitch. If only Wes was 10 years younger, Barnes built like Traore and we had a 6 foot 4 midfielder who could play like the positives of N'Didi and Kanté combined. 

This has been known from the start of the season so every time we get associated with another lightweight I groan  . Lenny Ulloa was a very useful heavyweight for us ,we could do with another one. Of course all our players are bigger than Rodgers , he is a leprechaun!!

29 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

This has been known from the start of the season so every time we get associated with another lightweight I groan  . Lenny Ulloa was a very useful heavyweight for us ,we could do with another one. Of course all our players are bigger than Rodgers , he is a leprechaun!!

Yeah I'd love Doucoure from Watford for a bit of steel, but can't see how we'd fit both him and Ndidi into the team.

Not the first time I've said it but I think our problems at set pieces stem from Kasper, not always his fault admittedly but I am struggling to remember too many times he has came and collected a corner. Other aspects as well of course, including lack of dominant players. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Not the first time I've said it but I think our problems at set pieces stem from Kasper, not always his fault admittedly but I am struggling to remember too many times he has came and collected a corner. Other aspects as well of course, including lack of dominant players. 

Sadly enough, came here to say this. The past 3 years it has felt like we concede set piece goals at an astonishing rate.

After looking it up -- we have not been overly generous conceding from set pieces this season.  From whoscored.

1878237826_fromsetpieces.JPG.4d13ff4d53ac5a644126a8749a2b9180.JPG

... and conceded the least in the League (7) last season.

Edited by KingsX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KingsX said:

After looking it up -- we have not been overly generous conceding from set pieces this season.  From whoscored.

I think it’s just one of those things that fans of all clubs say when they concede from a set piece. It seems like it’s always against the team you support because more often than not you’re paying more attention when it happens! My mate who’s a Liverpool fan swears blind they can’t defend corners so take from that what you will. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, red5 said:

Who was suppose to be marking Dawson?

Oh yea forgot we mark fresh air

How many goals has space scored this season?

Evans was marking Dawson,after Vardy deflected the ball with his head Evans came out to clear it but the ball got to Dawson first unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Manini said:

I think it’s just one of those things that fans of all clubs say when they concede from a set piece. It seems like it’s always against the team you support because more often than not you’re paying more attention when it happens! My mate who’s a Liverpool fan swears blind they can’t defend corners so take from that what you will. 

Lol. Liverpool are arguably the best team in the league when it comes to set pieces! Defensively and offensively.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingsX said:

Looks like i stand corrected!