Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Watford Post Match Thread - 1-1

3 minutes ago, red5 said:

Dreadful management 18 minutes between 3 individual subs, 6 between the last 2, imagine being able to bring wes and/or bennet on after chilwells goal, :nigel:

So you’d keep subs in reserve in case we nicked a goal at the back end of the game rather than trying to win it by making changes ??  Hindsight is always 20/20 ..........

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So you’d keep subs in reserve in case we nicked a goal at the back end of the game rather than trying to win it by making changes ??  Hindsight is always 20/20 ..........

No I'd have used my brain and subbed Choudhury and nacho together not a few minutes apart.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

No, but he could have put two players on together, like Gray and Iheanacho together for example, or Gray and Choudhury, leaving one substitution slot open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, red5 said:

Dreadful management 18 minutes between 3 individual subs, 6 between the last 2, imagine being able to bring wes and/or bennet on after chilwells goal, 

There are plenty who think that making changes and/or chucking on a defender "to see out a game" is a negative tactic.

"Absolute fool sending on another defender, we sat back, it invited pressure, it was inevitable they were going to score." etc

As @st albans fox said, hindsight is wonderful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Sour grapes here but Watford striker in offside position, in front of Schmeichel as Dawson hit it. 

Plenty of teams would have moaned enough to get that on VAR

VAR guys should be checking every goal regardless of moans, thats really what they should be doing, its annoying not everything is checked.

19 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Sour grapes here but Watford striker in offside position, in front of Schmeichel as Dawson hit it. 

Chilwell played him on, no?

8 hours ago, red5 said:

No I'd have used my brain and subbed Choudhury and nacho together not a few minutes 

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

No, but he could have put two players on together, like Gray and Iheanacho together for example, or Gray and Choudhury, leaving one substitution slot open.

The game changes as it progresses .....hopefully the coaching team become more adept at this 

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

VAR guys should be checking every goal regardless of moans, thats really what they should be doing, its annoying not everything is checked.

it does and it did

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The game changes as it progresses .....hopefully the coaching team become more adept at this 

it does and it did

Oh yeah, I don't think Rodgers will make the same mistake twice. He can put on 4 players and still have a "hail Mary" substitution waiting in line, if he plays his cards correctly.

Meh game. Gray changed it for us. Thought we committed suicide after we scored by sitting so deep. They had won every long ball against our back line so we decide to set up on top of Kasper!

Defense was definitely rusty, but, most importantly, those outside the top 4 haven't gained on us.

On another completely unrelated point, it would appear the shut down has completely screwed Sheff Utd. Having second season syndrome before the first has ended!

19 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Disappointing not to have held on but I would have been happy with a point beforehand.

To anyone not happy with the result what did you expect. We were up against a team in relatively good form before the lockdown, one who gave Liverpool a complete pasting and managed by one of our most significant club icons who knows us inside out. And we have been in indifferent form since the win against Villa back in December.

Any time you win against a Pearson side you work hard for it.

Tough gettting back into the swing of it after 3 months away but this game might do us the world of good. There were far worse performances than ours over the weekend. Brighton is a chance to put things right.

I think as well that these first few matches will suit teams that pride themselves on organisation and counter attacking, like Watford, as rustiness is less of an issue within those sort of tactics. The way we (try) to play involves playing out from the back and quick one touch passing, and you saw how sloppy we were with that on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

Meh game. Gray changed it for us. Thought we committed suicide after we scored by sitting so deep. They had won every long ball against our back line so we decide to set up on top of Kasper!

Defense was definitely rusty, but, most importantly, those outside the top 4 haven't gained on us.

On another completely unrelated point, it would appear the shut down has completely screwed Sheff Utd. Having second season syndrome before the first has ended!

In fairness, they were robbed of a win in the most blatant and unfair of ways, and then got a red card vs Newcastle.

Must admit I don't think the subs helped us whereas Gray made a difference for you.

We got a bit dis organised which allowed Chillwell the time and space to run then finish.

I think VAR checks each goal but yes Sarr would have been offside if he'd touched it or had the ball re bounded to him.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

I think as well that these first few matches will suit teams that pride themselves on organisation and counter attacking, like Watford, as rustiness is less of an issue within those sort of tactics. The way we (try) to play involves playing out from the back and quick one touch passing, and you saw how sloppy we were with that on Saturday.

Very true, but our 'style' was starting to fail before the lock down. Oppositions had started to work out and negate us. The so called slick one touch football, under opposition pressure had turned into an unnecessary cumbersome tippy tappy backpassing keep ball. Rodgers was seemingly becoming stubborn or unwilling to change underperforming players and tactics. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

22 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

thats really clutching at straws, offside yes but in front of the keeper? not even close to blocking his view.

The league table taken from after we beat Villa 4-1 away in December until now has us in 15th with 12 points from 12.

If that sort of form continues, even after a 3 month break, the arguments that the bad form was down to tiredness, injuries, bad luck etc can't be used. I don't think desire is an issue either. It's more likely that teams have sussed us out to a certain degree and we haven't adapted.

Hopefully we can find our rhythm again tomorrow night.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Very disappointed not to hold on for the win but 2nd half I thought we played much better and were the better team. Gray really had an impact and we had very good chances from Soyuncu, Albrighton and then Maddison and Chilwell's goal. As an away performance creative wise that wasn't too bad after 3 months off, but there were also some very rusty play. Defensively I thought we weren't as dominant, every long ball seemed to cause us issues and i'm not sure if individually any were worse than others but we seems vulnerable and therefore a 1-1 draw on reflection is maybe about fair.

I expect much more tomorrow night though, whether Praet comes in for Youri and Perez or Gray in for Albrighton we need to be a bit more quicker in our play. The pleasing thing from Saturday was Maddison looked in fine fettle and he really is crucial to this end to the season, I've a feeling he's some very big goals and assists in him. I loved his attitude in his post match interview, that's what I want to hear and see.

Not the worst result in the world for both teams, could have been a potential banana skin after coming back from a lengthy lay-off. Sharpness and speed isn't there yet which is to be expected but at least we didn't pick up any injuries.

Not sure I agree with the negative tones entirely, Tuesdays another day and we need to make sure we grab 3 points against Brighton.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I do question why we are so shit at defending corners. Theres been quite a lot of corners where we've been lucky the free man has fluffed their header as well. 

Height wise we don't have a tall team really I mean we only have 3 outfield players over 6 foot. In the starting 11

Edited by Fightforever

7 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Height wise we don't have a tall team really I mean we only have 3 outfield players over 6 foot. In the starting 11

True but sometimes i worry about our positioning as well. Half the time it seems like our players are always miles away from the guy who has got a free chance on goal. 

I do think we'd do well to have some tall players though. When we had Huth in centre back he did seem to make a difference in defending set pieces. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

We DO have a height and physicality problem at both ends of the pitch. If only Wes was 10 years younger, Barnes built like Traore and we had a 6 foot 4 midfielder who could play like the positives of N'Didi and Kanté combined.