Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Brighton Pre-Match Thread

Perhaps we overachieved (by quite a bit) in the first half of the season and have underachieved (not quite as much) since  - but we're third and shouldn't lower than fourth.

Imagine saying at the start of the season that with eight games to go "we might finish ... AS LOW AS FOURTH" lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Perhaps we overachieved (by quite a bit) in the first half of the season and have underachieved (not quite as much) since  - but we're third and shouldn't lower than fourth.

Imagine saying at the start of the season that with eight games to go "we might finish ... AS LOW AS FOURTH" lol

Could it also be that sides second half of the season have got used to how we play? Look at our results after xmas and I might be wrong but we’ve only beaten imo 2 very poor sides - villa and West Ham. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Dunk is on nine yellows, so the next costs him two games.  BHA can ill afford that.

Not sure whether that will affect his positioning or aggressiveness.  You’d think it at least rules out the professional foul if Vardy receives a pass on his shoulder.

Another reason to play aggressively and test them early.

...that is of no value to us!!!

The only people who will gain any advantage by him gaining another yellow would be the team they play next.

9 minutes ago, KingsX said:

After 32 matches I think?

Seeing some sources saying resets happen after a certain matchweek, and other sources saying after a certain date (second Sunday in April). Not sure which one applies here :dunno:

32 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that is of no value to us!!!

The only people who will gain any advantage by him gaining another yellow would be the team they play next.

Have a quick read through the rest of that post, mate

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Complete myth.

Playing it around keeping possession uses just as much energy if not more than the tesm sitting back letting you play.

Yes you can make the opposition move around by moving the ball but to do that the possession team has to constantly be running on and off the ball creating the triangles to keep the ball. 

A major point of moving the ball around in possession isn't necessarily to physically tire teams, but mentally tire them.

Concentrating on keeping compact for 90 minutes is extremely difficult when you're being constantly moved side to side. You have to watch both the ball, opposition player's movements and your own teammate's movements.

However, if it's done slowly, then it completely defeats the purpose.

• Like 1

Are they showing the game for free on YouTube?

This is City's official YouTube channel. Or is it just a fan chat thing to go alongside watching it on Sky.

By looks of it, they're streaming the actual game. :dunno:

59 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Are they showing the game for free on YouTube?

This is City's official YouTube channel. Or is it just a fan chat thing to go alongside watching it on Sky.

By looks of it, they're streaming the actual game. :dunno:

"Join us for a brand new show on LCFC TV, City On The Sofa. Experience the Foxes' return to Premier League action alongside former favourites Steve Walsh, Gerry Taggart and Tony Cottee."

It's a talk show, I think it goes on during the game, but they don't show the game.

Edited by Beechey

6 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Tielemans is miles off world class.. as is the rest of our squad apart from Ndidi and Pereira.

6 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Youri is world class, hes just young and inconsistent. However he will grow into a top top player and play for an elite club. Vardy is world class but hes 33 and is not at his peak, but prime Vardy is a world class striker and a Premier League great. If he was 20-25 now he'd be worth 150 mill, absolutely no doubt about it.

You're a bit off the deep end for me.

Praise YT all you like, he will batter sides if they give him the time and space to do it, but Praet has very few weaknesses and I struggle to remember him having a poor game. You can think YT is essential without dissing the Denis. :yesyes:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Complete myth.

Playing it around keeping possession uses just as much energy if not more than the tesm sitting back letting you play.

Yes you can make the opposition move around by moving the ball but to do that the possession team has to constantly be running on and off the ball creating the triangles to keep the ball. 

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

I've got to agree with this, I've never really understood the point. If you're passing around at a walking pace, the other team can defend at a walking pace. If you're moving around then the defenders basically just have to match that effort.

The reason we probably do better later in games is because our squad is younger and fitter than most other squads. Or certainly was earlier in the season.

Done correctly it gives you a competitive advantage later in games 

done badly it achieves nothing 

and fin - ask vards if he likes playing against a possession based top side that make him chased the ball from side to side or one that punts it forward so he doesn’t have to chase it like a dog ! 

14 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

You're a bit off the deep end for me.

Praise YT all you like, he will batter sides if they give him the time and space to do it, but Praet has very few weaknesses and I struggle to remember him having a poor game. You can think YT is essential without dissing the Denis. :yesyes:

Hes got no weaknesses because hes got no strengths either, hes just a hard working journeyman midfielder whose a good back up but is not a starter if we want to be anything more than a mid to lower mid table team.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Believe it or not JV likes playing BR possession based style. In the short time he's been here JV has expressed that BR has improved his game more than anyone before. He has added so much more to his game and is a much more rounded player than the Old Vardy sit on the shoulder and chase everything.

As time goes on for him over the next few years I see his gane adapting even more. 

At some point he will loose a yard of pace its inevitable but adding extra dimensions to his game now  and understanding the game more is what he will gain from a manager like BR.

So while he may loose his pace he will never loose the most important part of his game.

His finishing. 

He feels BR can add years to his game and talks are already underway to extend his contract beyond 2022 when he will be 35. 

I was referencing how much JV likes running his balls off between opposition centre backs who are playing keep ball in tandem with a deep lying CDM ..... like I said, if possession based play is done correctly (ie with pace on the ball and purpose)  then it’s pays dividends later in games.  

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Done correctly it gives you a competitive advantage later in games 

done badly it achieves nothing 

and fin - ask vards if he likes playing against a possession based top side that make him chased the ball from side to side or one that punts it forward so he doesn’t have to chase it like a dog ! 

When was the last time Vardy did that? Gotta be 15/16

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We have one of the best goalkeepers in the league; probably the second best pair of full backs; one of the three best defensive midfielders; one of the most creative midfielders and one of the best strikers.... Also one of the best managers.  It's crazy that we have this quality of player and coach, but we do. Top 4 is right this season... And it will be a brilliant achievement.