Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

11 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

"When frustration sinks in mistakes happen and our team lost their heads the past 3 weeks. Soyuncu and Evans red cards, Schmeichel mistakes in a couple of games. If this was Puel we would all ( a majority arguably) would be asking for him to be sacked."

Not sure where any of this becomes the managers fault??

Personal opinion but I think sides reflect the characteristics of the manager. Thats the job of the coach. Red cards will happen but for both needless and daft is a huge problem. Soyuncu no need and a 3 game ban, now Evans 3 game ban for a poor tackle when he lost his head. 

Both of these instances occurred after Bournemouth during Rodgers decision to take Kelechi off and go negative, when you don't play your normal game it is easy to switch off and this leads to mistakes. Players capitulated from that moment.

Why are we passing and playing out from the back without 4 key players in those positions. Why does Rodgers not change his tactics to suit his players who are playing and control the opposition. Hamza got caught, but would we really want him turning on the ball and looking to pass out. When we have 2 up top and a weaker midfield and defence surely, with United have a slow defence pretty much surely we go long and play over the top. Minimise risk. There is a reason Rodgers does not win big games. 

All a personal opinion of course, and there is a reason I am typing here and Rodgers is the manager who actually makes the decisions of our team. Very frustrating. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weller54 said:

We took 8 points from a possible 18 from the 3 teams that got relegated!.. you don't get/deserve CL football with that stat!!

Totally unacceptable.

And unfortunately those extra 4-5 points which the top four usually get are the ones which caused us to miss out :(

Love Brendan me. :thumbup:

Read the first few posts on here and didn't bother reading the rest as there will be too many whingers thinking we should sack and bring in someone else far less qualified or unrealistic.

Yes it's bitterly disappointing to miss out on CL football after we more or less had it wrapped up in December but the players have the upmost respect for him and that's good enough for me. Bottom line is we have no right to expect CL when competing with clubs three or four times the income of us. The club is in great hand with BR at the helm. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I will try and say it once more, its about the half season of a disaster run of results, the position is obviously part of it because we were 14 points clear, but its how we managed to finish the season, rather than the fact we finished 5th overall.

I wont repeat this point in this thread, because if you dont understand after me posting it twice then you never will.

Under normal circumstances 5th would be a great finish.

Thanks for the condescension, which I'll address directly.  I understand you perfectly, I just disagree with the point you are making.

We regressed to the mean, then below the mean. We had bad luck, a rotten set of injuries and the megabucks clubs regrouped during the COVID break.

We still play well and have good players. 

We were, I thought, unlucky to get nothing today.

I dont see the disaster you do. 

He got the job because we weren’t doing to well at the time playing a style football that didn’t work. This season we have improved and had some amazing results and some poor ones. But let’s be honest 5th is not bad we blew cl weeks ago. It could have been worse and Wolves overtook is. As disappointed as I am with the way the season ended i feel the team is mostly young and will learn from it. 

Four or five quality players are needed for us to complete for a top 6 place next year. Other than Vardy all our attackers are to inconsistent.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I suppose the implicit point is that Man U can buy their way out of trouble, regardless of who their manager is. Their squad is immense. For a club like Leicester, having a lot of ground to make up, elementary mistakes are harder to overcome.

None of which means that Rodgers needs firing. Only that he'll have to do better if he's to fulfil the club's ambitions. And he'll have to do better than our second half of the season form if he's to out-do our finishes in 2015 and 2017.

Maybe the bar is set lower than that, I don't know. Maybe you subscribe to the idea that our squad is, in truth, crap, in which case I have no idea why we'd ever have fired Puel if mid-table was the expectation. But if it isn't, things will have to get better fast. Or he'll be gone.

You do know we finished higher than under Puel? 

6 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Thanks for the condescension, which I'll address directly.  I understand you perfectly, I just disagree with the point you are making.

We regressed to the mean, then below the mean. We had bad luck, a rotten set of injuries and the megabucks clubs regrouped during the COVID break.

I'm trying to be as positive as you...!

We were in bottom five form for half a season. That's an exceptional run of poor form for a side that would expect 0.5 more points per game, at least, than we've achieved over that period in time. It's continued for over seven months, and if it continues for three more we'll be in the bottom five, and Rodgers will be on the brink. You'd tend to think that a decent transfer window might amend that, but the man at the helm hardly has an inspiring track record.

As for the injuries, I read the comments of Celtic fans about him constantly playing players with chronic injuries. We've lost Vardy, Ndidi, Pereira, Chilwell and Maddison among others this season after playing them with a pre-diagnosed injury. It's not as if Rodgers can be entirely exonerated for that. Either way, our form after the Covid break was virtually identical to our form before, when we had no injuries. So I don't see how the injuries are even relevant.

5th is a great finish. Rodgers should stay. I don't debate either of those points, not for a second. And I genuinely believe that, with serious re-evaluation, this can all be turned around. But the warning signs are clear and loud, and either he heeds them, or it will fall to the club to act.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corky said:

We won't be finishing in the top 4 with him in charge- other teams will improve and possibly pull away from us. This was an amazing opportunity and we've thrown it away like you wouldn't believe.

His record in Europe is also pretty abysmal and I have a bad feeling he will throw Europa League games for the sake of the PL. He got routinely battered in Europe with Celtic. And who can remember when he "rested" Steven Gerrard against Real Madrid. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Totally agree Vaca

1 hour ago, squidsworth said:

Probably the biggest capitulation in the history of the premier League, I don't know how people can forgive that and be happy with 5th from the position we were in. I don't give a crap about Europa League I'd rather we win our fa or even League cup over that shite not some Mickey mouse European crap for 2nd rate European teams.

Yes at the start of the season I would have been happy but not from where we were at the turn of the year.

And the way we've chucked it away with amateur gifting of goals in game after game especially since the 'restart' is frankly a disgrace and we need to ditch Foxes never quit slogan as we have quit in the biggest humiliating cowardly way imaginable and it comes down to the man at top delighting in second best.

Brendan has to go.

Wait until you see what winning of those qualifies us for 

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

You do know we finished higher than under Puel? 

I think you're deliberately missing the point here, aren't you?

Is the expectation that we challenge for Europe, and achieve form which corresponds to that? Or is it that we finish mid-table or lower?

If it's the former, then naturally we'll have to do better than we did in the second half of the season. If it's the latter - and you fully expect us to drop back into mid-table or lower - then I don't understand why people like yourself would ever have wanted Puel out in the first place.

Surely that's just a statement of the obvious, no?

None of this means that 5th wasn't a fine finish, nor that Rodgers failed to achieve an improvement when he took over. Neither does it mean that Rodgers should be fired - because that's not what I believe at all. I'm clearly talking about our expectations for the future, and the current indications of where we're headed. I'm not sure why you're trying to twist the point into something else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Yes, look at their starting 11, matic is past it he cant maintain a high level for multiple games, greenwood wasnt very good at the end of last season now he's one of the best forwards in the league, pogba injured most of the season, they had lingard and pereira as their options at cam for half the season, rashford was injured longer than ndidi was, shaw wasnt good at the start of the season neither was fred, wan bissaka isnt half the player going forward as pereira and most teams sit back against teams like us and united so attacking attributes > defensive attributes. They have had injuries and a lack of depth all season, it's not just us, we have no excuses.

You just going to ignore that at Christmas ManU popped down the shops and spent around 60Mil on the player that's transformed them??? Got Pogba (a 90mil player) to finally sort himself out. Greenwood is 18, color me shocked he's better this season than last. It strikes me that your argument basically explains our form. As we lost players they gained players. And with it came the switch in results. The difference in that now 4 point swing (66-62) is 60Mil. And if we'd won today we'd have finished above them. Badly injured squad and one of the most important home games this season to an EMPTY stadium. For me everything post lock-down is distorted. 

Edited by Hoopla10
  • Like 2

If you took the 2nd half of the season he joined and the first half of this season, I wonder where we’d have finished. 

No doubt he’s a good manager. But you have to question his ability to regularly and consistently motivate our players. (Although, as a Premier League player, if you can’t get up for the games yourself, there’s clearly a deeper problem).  

He needs a good transfer window and a solid squad with depth of quality to see us good next season. 

1 minute ago, Hoopla10 said:

You just going to ignore that at Christmas ManU popped down the shops and spent around 60Mil on the player that's transformed them??? Got Pogba (a 90mil player) to finally sort himself out. Greenwood is 18, color me shocked he's better this season than last. It strikes me that your argument basically explains our form. As we lost players they gained players. And with it came the switch in results. The difference in that now 4 point swing (66-62) is 60Mil. 

It was actually an 18 point swing when you consider they came from 14 back. I get your point, United got their act together, but we shouldn't have dropped away to the extent we did, regardless of injuries. We well and truly crapped our pants in the second half of the season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

You just going to ignore that at Christmas ManU popped down the shops and spent around 60Mil on the player that's transformed them??? Got Pogba (a 90mil player) to finally sort himself out. Greenwood is 18, color me shocked he's better this season than last. It strikes me that your argument basically explains our form. As we lost players they gained players. And with it came the switch in results. The difference in that now 4 point swing (66-62) is 60Mil. 

They had fernandes for 18 games, we had maddison for 30 games. Rodgers got the funding for our weakest position (right wing) then spunked it on a player who is more suited to second striker or CAM. Perez is like griezmann at barcelona for us, good player, wrong position, big money, our weakness going forwards this season could have been fixed so easily had rodgers just spent that money on a natural right winger so he really has no excuses.

3 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

And this goes for our central defense also not chipping in. They HAVE to do better than TWO goals ALL season. Brendan Rodgers will take flack for dropping all those points, and that's fair because that's kind of his job. But it doesn't happen in a vacuum. 

1 goal each for Cags and Evans, that really is shocking. I wonder how many shots they've had? We should really be aiming for 3 goals for each of them. We've had 221 corners in the Prem this season ffs!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

As if.

We'll lose to Steaua Bucharest next season and he will point to them winning the European Cup in 1985/86 as proof that as a small club we can't compete.

Can totally see this kind of thing happening as well.

I want to envisage a scenario where we learn from our mistakes and improve next year but absolutely nothing I've seen this season tells me that's going to be what happens. We're firmly on the downwards trajectory at this point and we're relying on Congerton to deliver. I can't even pretend I'm enthusiastic about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I think you dont understand whats happened.

If we were inconsistent all season, and finished 5th, I think everyone would be reasonably happy, also if we started badly but then did a man utd charge at the end, I think most would also be happy.

The issue is how we have literally collapsed and he hasnt found an answer, which doesnt bode well moving forward.  That is the problem, the finishing position is masking it.  Looking at the table, spurs and arsenal, as well as wolves were also within a few games of catching us.  

Amazes me how many can't grasp it. Being deliberately obtuse is the only thing I can think here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Can totally see this kind of thing happening as well.

I want to envisage a scenario where we learn from our mistakes and improve next year but absolutely nothing I've seen this season tells me that's going to be what happens. We're firmly on the downwards trajectory at this point and we're relying on Congerton to deliver. I can't even pretend I'm enthusiastic about that.

It's probably going to take another club to take him off our hands now.

A bad start for Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Spurs and he'll be one of the front runners.

After blowing a 14 point lead for Champions League I've lost all faith in him. If fans do return I can't imagine many would even want to travel.