Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

22 hours ago, 420Hashish said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/27/fa-launches-diversity-code-with-19-premier-league-clubs-on-board

I mean, shouldn't jobs be given based on qualifications and not race and gender? 

Makes too much sense I guess. Nobody will convince me this kind of thing does any good in the long term.

6 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Approximately 6 managers are BAME across England’s top leagues which equates to just over 6%. The UK BAME population is approximately 14% so something is not quite equal somewhere. Things are improving and in an ideal world we would not need quotas but we’re not there yet.  Baffled that anyone could see this as anything but a positive initiative. X 

Maybe because they choose to go into other careers? Not every BAME footballer is interesting in pursuing a football related career after retiring. 

47 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Makes too much sense I guess. Nobody will convince me this kind of thing does any good in the long term.

40 minutes ago, 420Hashish said:

Maybe because they choose to go into other careers? Not every BAME footballer is interesting in pursuing a football related career after retiring. 

Without trying to be argumentative, what would you suggest as an alternative ? There is quite obviously some form of bias and discrimination which a large percentage of minority individuals feel. Otherwise you wouldn’t have such support or backing for such campaigns. We can’t just leave it as is, that’s unfair on those who feel ignored. 

2 hours ago, 420Hashish said:

Well I'm considered in the minority then, but I still feel qualifications should be what determines a job. Would you be happy if we sacked Rodgers for Hughton to fill the 'equality' quota? 

I personally think it is admirable, and it may well be that currently many BAME suitable candidates may choose to pursue alternate career paths, but it will continue to be so without aspirational figures from that background. It cannot hurt to ensure the pathway for minorities is as open and appealing as it for the majority. Once the pathway is fully engaged, it should become nothing other than a meritocracy, on that I agree, but currently I see no indication that this is the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 420Hashish said:

You may or may not be correct but I have seen no statistics or facts backing up your hypothesis. X 

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Those who fall into the BAME category dont like the term BAME.

No-one's fault but I get the frustrations as it groups an incredibly wide range of people and cultures into one term.

Good point. Not all people feel that way (that in itself would be a blanket statement) but you are right that some people find the term troublesome. X

55 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Those who fall into the BAME category dont like the term BAME.

No-one's fault but I get the frustrations as it groups an incredibly wide range of people and cultures into one term.

Isn’t it just everyone who isn’t white British? 

If anybody wants to know why five subs is such a horrible idea take a look at how ****ing dull and predictable the champions league is already looking

It basically allows the top teams to play cheat mode rest their best players and in the last 30 minutes against smaller squards front load and smash goals when their tired.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, twister said:

If anybody wants to know why five subs is such a horrible idea take a look at how ****ing dull and predictable the champions league is already looking

It basically allows the top teams to play cheat mode rest their best players and in the last 30 minutes against smaller squards front load and smash goals when their tired.

I agree, it influenced what happened towards the end of last season, however it is a rule that was put in from the off this time. Plus I like the fact we get that chance to rest players if in a good lead. 

46 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I agree, it influenced what happened towards the end of last season, however it is a rule that was put in from the off this time. Plus I like the fact we get that chance to rest players if in a good lead. 

its the reason united over powered the lads for the top four

its hoarding of talent, and I am against it at every turn.

11 hours ago, Nalis said:

Maybe his new provider/scorer role will help England though and will get the most out of the likes of Sterling and Sancho?

It's an enticing prospect. There's definitely some tactical rope to be had with the idea of playing that way, then bringing on someone like Ings or Wilson later on in games and switching the wide men out to thread balls in instead. We've genuinely got some great attacking options in the national setup at the minute - it's everything behind that's the problem, particularly the lack of midfield creativity.

6 hours ago, twister said:

its the reason united over powered the lads for the top four

its hoarding of talent, and I am against it at every turn.

It is true, it is a corruption of the sporting principles, and seeks to remove risk to financially endowed clubs, by allowing their riches to tilt the scales of competition in their favour. It was always going to be the case that having 5 world class players on your bench you could call on would help, :mad:

Has been a very bad year for rich clubs trying to solidify their standing and increase their profits, what with, super leagues, PPTV, redistribution of TV money, threats to leave the leagues.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
3 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Whilst we all bask in the afterglow of being at the right end of the table and a fabulous away win vs Arsenal ........ don’t let this pity-party at the foot of the Championship slip by unnoticed. 

BACA52B1-7FDB-4584-9B60-77B6F8B61E47.jpeg

We would beat the best team chosen from derby forest and cov nine times out of ten..... happy days indeed. 

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I'd actually prefer it if all those Midlands teams could join us in the premier League.

The demise of the Midlands is bad for all of us.

Spot on derby forest wends day being strong makes it harder for the super rich to get their way

these clubs have tradition and history. and would be well watched in the top flight

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I'd actually prefer it if all those Midlands teams could join us in the premier League.

I’m not sure about that, but I would like to see them back in the Prem so we can batter them twice a season, I do miss the derbies. 

It seems like Everton can be a 'poisoned chalice' for talented players to play for, like Man Utd.

But when they leave, see Moise Kean, they seem to flourish again.

Edited by Wymsey

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There's some folk on here that seem to hate absolutely every single other club with a passion, no matter how big or small lol

weird