urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

45 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

West Ham selling Haller for 20m less than they paid for him 18 months ago is quite funny. What a terribly run football club 

They've never sold a player for more than £25m despite being a solid Premier Leaguet eam for much of the last 30 years. We've sold 4. Their recruitment is very haphazard to put it kindly.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Koke said:

They've never sold a player for more than £25m despite being a solid Premier Leaguet eam for much of the last 30 years. We've sold 4. Their recruitment is very haphazard to put it kindly.

Depends on the times though.

Some of their academy graduates would go for much more now, than they did back then, because of how high prices are nowadays. Likewise we wouldn't have got the same money for our players back then.

I said in the other thread though, 20m for Haller isn't too bad. I don't think he's any good (or at least hasn't been at West Ham).

Edited by Fox92
4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

No chance games should be postponed due to Covid. If you can't safely field first teamers you field whatever youth team you can. It's the club's and player's responsibility to remain safe and fit to play, the FA shouldn't be bailing them out.

If clubs have to shut their training grounds down to stop the spread of the virus then i'm not sure what choice they have.

12 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Villa sound like they'd be happy to play their reserves just to get the game played. A bit like Liverpool against Villa in the LC last year.

I think they would happily play their FA cup game not sure they would want to do that in the league though. 

11 minutes ago, davieG said:

Trouble is cancelled games will affect us as well even if we're ready to go as happened to us in '63 where we had to play 4 away games between the FA Cup SF and Final and lost all 4 dropping from 1st to 4th and losing to a rubbish Man U team in the Final.

yeah i think its unavoidable but just glad so far we have been fine. Villa potentially will have 3 games to catch up on already if they miss their game with Spurs next week. 

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

I think they would happily play their FA cup game not sure they would want to do that in the league though. 

Oh yeah no chance they do it in the league!

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Some of their academy graduates would go for much more now, than they did back then, because of how high prices are nowadays. Likewise we wouldn't have got the same money for our players back then.

I said in the other thread though, 20m for Haller isn't too bad. I don't think he's any good (or at least hasn't been at West Ham).

Fair points. Though they sometimes sign injury phone has-beens like Wilshere and Carroll on stupid wages which cripples the club temporarily. But Declan Rice will probably go for big money soon. 

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Surely the different age groups are in different bubbles?

Not sure what you mean.

If it's deemed unsafe to have the training ground open then none of the players can train and therefore shouldn't be forced to play.

I still don't understand why Man City had a pretty big outbreak but only closed the training ground for a couple of days. To have as many cases as they have, there must've been some close contacts that need to isolate. 

I don't know if size of training facilities make a difference, easier to have covid-secure facilities? Meaning apart from on the pitch, close contact is minimal. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
9 minutes ago, Koke said:

Fair points. Though they sometimes sign injury phone has-beens like Wilshere and Carroll on stupid wages which cripples the club temporarily. But Declan Rice will probably go for big money soon. 

Oh yeah I agree with that.

I'm surprised Aurnotovic didn't go for more (spelling mistake there) but having just looked he was £23m approx.

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I still don't understand why Man City had a pretty big outbreak but only closed the training ground for a couple of days. To have as many cases as they have, there must've been some close contacts that need to isolate. 

I don't know if size of training facilities make a difference, easier to have covid-secure facilities? Meaning apart from on the pitch, close contact is minimal. 

Due to how often the test their players and staff though, if they started returning negative tests en masse then they'd be ok to get back to training.

11 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I mean their training ground is vast. And it's right next to the stadium. So i'm guessing they've probably been pretty good at keeping different groups separate.

30 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

No chance games should be postponed due to Covid. If you can't safely field first teamers you field whatever youth team you can. It's the club's and player's responsibility to remain safe and fit to play, the FA shouldn't be bailing them out.

That depends on whether or not you've got a maverick party animal who's out shagging every night but is being lined up as the future of English football playing for you.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

**** the lakers

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

£120m loan from the Bank of England.

Optics are appalling with so many lower league clubs struggling. That money would save most non league clubs. Disgusting.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Koke said:

Kante

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Slab head

Chilwell

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Villa sound like they'd be happy to play their reserves just to get the game played. A bit like Liverpool against Villa in the LC last year.

TV companies won't want Liverpool matches cancelled, either.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He’s actually been decent recently. It seems a very odd move by them as they’ve been doing well. If Antonio gets injured again this is going to bite them 

28 minutes ago, Christoph said:

To be fair though the whole point of a loan is that they'll pay it back. So it's not exactly like they're getting a free hand out is it? 

I'm well aware of that angle, to be honest.

It's more the fact on the point @Tuna raises.