Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

The way he draws defenders off the ball is massive for us though. We need somebody that is capable of emulating his game, even to a fraction of his level. We don't have another forward, or even midfielder, in the wings who will do that pest job and pull the strings of the opposition back line. The job Vards does to give space to Barnes and Albrighton down our wings is arguably his greatest asset.

I really think this summer is the time to bring in a proper understudy for him and start blooding him, even just in cup games or whatever, to be the kind of Prince Regent for us. I don't like the thought of changing the way we attack, because Vards really is way more integral to how we operate than anyone could imagine. But the man is an absolute machine, and I still maintain we've still got two seasons left in the tank from him before he really starts to fade. 

Whoever that understudy is, they will need:

1. Pace
  2. A willingness to harass defenders
  3. Off-the-ball work and movement - especially poising for those off-the-shoulder, last man runs
  4. Finishing (actually the least important of the four and this can be coached)

Bring them in, let them know exactly what their role will be, and let them learn directly from Jamie.

The problem is - where can we find someone like that? Do we dip down the leagues to find a young prospect again? It's worked out for us in recent times, especially with Justin, but the question is who if anyone could potentially fit that mould right now, anywhere in the world game.

My main point is that we won’t replace Vardy. But our squad has enough quality not to suffer too much without him. It might be the diffference between finishing 4th or 6th but not 7th or 14th like we’ve seen with wolves. If Newcastle lost Wilson, Palace Zaha or Everton DCL I would struggle to see where their goals are coming from. With us I don’t see that, we would still have enough to beat the majority of teams in the league and finish in the upper parts of the table. 

40 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Concerned obviously. The idea of switching to a back four looks increasingly poor timing with no pre-season to work on it properly. 

Nuno looks very deflated at the minute. His mental health seems poor with him not being able to see his family. He just keeps banging on about solutions after every game. 

He won't walk though and the owners won't sack him. We just need to go back to 3 at the back and tighten things up again. 

Are you happy to write off this season, let him reset and have faith that he'll get back on track next year? Or are you leaning towards thinking its time for change? 

1 hour ago, Hoopla10 said:

Do we need a warning? It's not exactly something we (or Wolves for that matter) shouldn't already know. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the team is if you haven't got somebody who can regularly score you're going to struggle. It's whether you invest in some kid in a hope they become what you need them to be in a couple of years or you pay out big for a known quantity. 

Yes.   We for sure know and need to sort this out in the next two windows.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

People genuinely wanted us to spend 50m+ on Traore this summerlol

Probably the same people that wanted us to spunk zillions on Tarks.

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

My main point is that we won’t replace Vardy. But our squad has enough quality not to suffer too much without him. It might be the diffference between finishing 4th or 6th but not 7th or 14th like we’ve seen with wolves. If Newcastle lost Wilson, Palace Zaha or Everton DCL I would struggle to see where their goals are coming from. With us I don’t see that, we would still have enough to beat the majority of teams in the league and finish in the upper parts of the table. 

There's a case for blooding Barnes as a Centre Forward I guess, or even switching it up to play Perez in the hole more often behind someone else. But I still think we'd lose other aspects of our game if we shifted the squad around to accomodate a Vardy-shaped hole. At the risk of coming across all Claude Puel, we need someone with intensiteeeeee.

:claude:

Just picking a random forward with pace isn't gonna cut it to be honest - we've been bitten on that front before with Musa.

I'm still happy enough having Nacho as the backup guy if he's happy to stick around for the near future, but he isn't the first choice forward for our system. Tidy enough to feet, but only really for those games where we want to pick the lock of a more stubborn backline.

18 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

You have to consider that others would bridge the gap quite a bit. Without Vardy we wouldn’t be 11 goals further behind as others would chip in. Also vardy has scored a fair few penalties this season and tielemans would have scored a fair few of them. Plus we often seem to cope quite well without him. He’s a wonderful world class striker but I think his impact on the team is perhaps sometimes over estimated. We have quality throughout and vardy benefits from that like the rest of the team benefit from vardy. Another striker would also benefit from the quality around him if put into our team as well.

Granted it's not as simple as I made out. Maybe Perez will pop up and score a couple, Nacho could....hahaha nah (sorry lol I have so little hope for him tbh)... Barnes has scored a few. But we've seen how toothless we sometimes look without Vardy. Lots of impotent back and forth. Last season showed us if a few of our players are injured and Vardy isn't on it we can get into a bad rut. But my point about the importance of Vardy is more to do with how ambitious our club sees itself. If we want to continue to compete for the top 5, consistently in Europe then we HAVE to have a striker who'll drop 20+ goals a season.    

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I really do not understand all this media w**k**g over Leeds.  Quite baffling really.

Lazy pundits/journos do love a bandwagon to jump on. Makes them feel they ‘belong’.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

People genuinely wanted us to spend 50m+ on Traore this summerlol

So much hype after a couple decent games per season. He's all strength and pace, limited end product. Never been a fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Concerned obviously. The idea of switching to a back four looks increasingly poor timing with no pre-season to work on it properly. 

Nuno looks very deflated at the minute. His mental health seems poor with him not being able to see his family. He just keeps banging on about solutions after every game. 

He won't walk though and the owners won't sack him. We just need to go back to 3 at the back and tighten things up again. 

I don't think many teams losing such massive players like Jota and Jimenez could play on without big consequences. If we lost Vardy and his goals I'd suggest that it would effect us more than any other player. Forget Europe, I believe we'd be mid table looking worryingly below us. For the sake of football I just hope Jimenez can recover fully and play football again. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

Anyone else watch BT Sport's version of Final Score?

I don't usually, thought I'd give it a try. 

Chris Sutton is actually unbearable.

Hates anyone else having an opinion. Loves to speak over everyone and interrupt, especially Rachel Brown-Finnis and Jules Breach, let alone any other guest/pundit. 

He just can't help himself. It's quite disturbing.

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Not popular to say this, but I enjoy the constant husband and wife, jack & vera sniping, nagging  of Sutton and Savagebon BT Sport Score. 

Has me laughing every week.

Blimey, this lockdown is really getting to some...

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Anyone else watch BT Sport's version of Final Score?

I don't usually, thought I'd give it a try. 

Chris Sutton is actually unbearable.

Hates anyone else having an opinion. Loves to speak over everyone and interrupt, especially Rachel Brown-Finnis and Jules Breach, let alone any other guest/pundit. 

He just can't help himself. It's quite disturbing.

Haha. It's tongue in cheek. He takes the contrary role to savage, the presenter Daryl and any other  studio pundits just for fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

Give Steve Bruce 300million and Newcastle wouldn’t be 14th. People moan about alladyce and his boring football but wolves play the most boring football in the league for me and have for over a year now.

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story! 

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Not popular to say this, but I enjoy the constant husband and wife, jack & vera sniping, nagging  of Sutton and Savagebon BT Sport Score. 

Has me laughing every week.

If you take Sutton for exactly what he is, a half decent ex pro who loves a windup and has a good sense of humour then you learn to eventually enjoy his punditry. Don’t know why people take the pundits dead seriously, not everything they say isn’t meant to be taken literally. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Haha. It's tongue in cheek. He takes the contrary role to savage, the presenter Daryl and any other  studio pundits just for fun.

Gets so tiresome. The odd time, I can understand, but when they did the '5 best managers around' thing, he was always the first one to interrupt. Would have loved to see his face when Rachel shut him down briefly!

Dug his own hole as well when he picked Roy Hodgson as the best English manager around, and then put Gerrard in his top 5 and not Hodgson lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

If you take Sutton for exactly what he is, a half decent ex pro who loves a windup and has a good sense of humour then you learn to eventually enjoy his punditry. Don’t know why people take the pundits dead seriously, not everything they say isn’t meant to be taken literally. 

The best thing Sutton has done on tv is get slide tackled that time. 

6 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Clown pundits - no thanks.

If only football could find a genuinely amusing (and informative) broadcaster like David ‘Bumble’ Lloyd (cricket) or Wayne ‘Radar’ Riley  (golf) instead of a couple of obnoxious loudmouth braggers like Sutton and Savage...

• Like 2