Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

7 minutes ago, Koke said:

Great day for West Brom though. Fair play.

Pretty much why I wanted WBA to win, even though I can't stand Big Sam and his appointment. Wolves have been full of themselves ever since their promotion.

Just a shame there are no fans in for these sort of derbies.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

As I’ve said before we’re exactly the same without Vardy. We’d soon drop down the table without him. 

We have a better team than Wolves. We would slide a bit down the table without Vardy but not down to 14th. Maybe midtable-ish. But then again we would also suffer without Tielemans or Barnes. 

Don’t forget Wolves have also lost Jota,

They’re a shadow of their former selves currently with Traore being very hit and miss, Neves having a poor season and their defence looking frail. 

Using the Jota money to sign an unproven 18 year old seemed odd at the time now it appears to be a massive error 

1 minute ago, Koke said:

We have a better team than Wolves. We would slide a bit down the table without Vardy but not down to 14th. Maybe midtable-ish. But then again we would also suffer without Tielemans or Barnes. 

I disagree. I think we would. Look who atm we have as other options up front. Nacho is clearly not up to it and Perez is not a forward. He is better suited playing off a forward thru the middle. 

• Like 1

We scored 4 last week without Vardy and created enough chances to have had 6 or 7.

Perhaps not a fair comparison given the opposition but you could argue that Stoke are not that much worse than a group of bottom end PL clubs. 

4-nil, to the one man team. 

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@The Bear What's the general consensus on the current form at the club? Just a weird consequence of a weird season or something to be concerned about? 

Concerned obviously. The idea of switching to a back four looks increasingly poor timing with no pre-season to work on it properly. 

Nuno looks very deflated at the minute. His mental health seems poor with him not being able to see his family. He just keeps banging on about solutions after every game. 

He won't walk though and the owners won't sack him. We just need to go back to 3 at the back and tighten things up again. 

• Like 3

So Brighton hit the front in the Football Hipsters' Choice derby. The commentators don't know what to make of it, it's like they're at sports day demanding that the teachers give both teams a medal just for participating. :fishing:

Would rather have a draw that keeps them both on the slide, personally.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Koke said:

While I agree we have a better team I'm not so sure we couldn't hit 14th without Vardy. There's a 17 goal difference between us and Vardy has scored 11 of them. That's before you take into consideration how Vardy assists and creates space for other players to get in position to score. I wouldn't have much hope Nacho filling that gap. Wolves are only 3 points away for 8th. The whole table and season is weird imo. It feels like ManU was sitting down there not too long ago, now they're top. The loss of Vardy is a problem we as a club are going to have to face at some point. If we really have ambition and a desire to get regular European games we better find a good solution. 

2 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

While I agree we have a better team I'm not so sure we couldn't hit 14th without Vardy. There's a 17 goal difference between us and Vardy has scored 11 of them. That's before you take into consideration how Vardy assists and creates space for other players to get in position to score. I wouldn't have much hope Nacho filling that gap. Wolves are only 3 points away for 8th. The whole table and season is weird imo. It feels like ManU was sitting down there not too long ago, now they're top. The loss of Vardy is a problem we as a club are going to have to face at some point. If we really have ambition and a desire to get regular European games we better find a good solution. 

You'd have Perez and Ineacho to cover that loss, you have a more solid defence, and attack better. Yeah you'd slide a bit but not by as much IMO. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

You have to consider that others would bridge the gap quite a bit. Without Vardy we wouldn’t be 11 goals further behind as others would chip in. Also vardy has scored a fair few penalties this season and tielemans would have scored a fair few of them. Plus we often seem to cope quite well without him. He’s a wonderful world class striker but I think his impact on the team is perhaps sometimes over estimated. We have quality throughout and vardy benefits from that like the rest of the team benefit from vardy. Another striker would also benefit from the quality around him if put into our team as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

You have to consider that others would bridge the gap quite a bit. Without Vardy we wouldn’t be 11 goals further behind as others would chip in. Also vardy has scored a fair few penalties this season and tielemans would have scored a fair few of them. Plus we often seem to cope quite well without him. He’s a wonderful world class striker but I think his impact on the team is perhaps sometimes over estimated. We have quality throughout and vardy benefits from that like the rest of the team benefit from vardy. Another striker would also benefit from the quality around him if put into our team as well.

The way he draws defenders off the ball is massive for us though. We need somebody that is capable of emulating his game, even to a fraction of his level. We don't have another forward, or even midfielder, in the wings who will do that pest job and pull the strings of the opposition back line. The job Vards does to give space to Barnes and Albrighton down our wings is arguably his greatest asset.

I really think this summer is the time to bring in a proper understudy for him and start blooding him, even just in cup games or whatever, to be the kind of Prince Regent for us. I don't like the thought of changing the way we attack, because Vards really is way more integral to how we operate than anyone could imagine. But the man is an absolute machine, and I still maintain we've still got two seasons left in the tank from him before he really starts to fade. 

Whoever that understudy is, they will need:

1. Pace
  2. A willingness to harass defenders
  3. Off-the-ball work and movement - especially poising for those off-the-shoulder, last man runs
  4. Finishing (actually the least important of the four and this can be coached)

Bring them in, let them know exactly what their role will be, and let them learn directly from Jamie.

The problem is - where can we find someone like that? Do we dip down the leagues to find a young prospect again? It's worked out for us in recent times, especially with Justin, but the question is who if anyone could potentially fit that mould right now, anywhere in the world game.