Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Our centre midfielder playing centre half tomorrow is a good indication of how things are going to go. Plus the fact we've only won 5 league games this calender year as well. 

It's not exactly unreasonable. Blind optimism helps no one.

Exactly. Anyone genuinely thinking we're gonna improve or even match last season are lying to themselves

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Exactly. Anyone genuinely thinking we're gonna improve or even match last season are lying to themselves

Our manager said pretty much the same yesterday! lol

Nothing wrong with honest assesments based on what we've seen over the last 9 months. 

Would love to be proved wrong though of course :scarf:

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Our centre midfielder playing centre half tomorrow is a good indication of how things are going to go. Plus the fact we've only won 5 league games this calender year as well. 

It's not exactly unreasonable. Blind optimism helps no one.

Our best centre midfielder at that! So he’s going to be a huge loss in that area 

52 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Arsenal playing in blue. Disgusting. Really grips me when teams play in their away kit when they don’t need to. Arsenal are especially bad at doing it. 

It'll be because their home kit has white sleeves, which would clash with Fulham's when it comes to flailing arms in the box - so I don't think the kit they're wearing is a decision taken by the club.

15 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

That is pathetic from our supporters, probably reflects what we read on here, I really don’t understand why we are that pessimistic!

I think it's pretty reasonable. 

In the space of a few months we've gone from being 90 minutes away from the Champions League to now facing a season of playing twice a week pretty much every week with fvck all squad.

The lack of depth was a problem last year that saw us slump from title winning form in 2019 to literal relegation form in 2020, now we've got to play even more games with even more congestion. 

Even if you believe our form has now been totally reset and last year's slump is a thing of the past (enormously naive), you still have to accept that this is going to be one of the most difficult seasons in the recent history of the club. 

Oh and we're going in to the new season with three of our best players unavailable for the opening game and we don't have definitive return dates for two of them. 

Look, I get as frustrated with the hysterical polarity of this place as much as anyone else, probably more than to be honest, but there's a lot of reason to be concerned and negative about the start of this season. I'm not a perpetually negative person, I was extremely excited about last season and with good reason. I'm not anti Rodgers per se, I don't moan at everything the club does, but come on. 

Do I think we'll get relegated? No. But we've evolved as a club, being safe in the league isn't a good season anymore. We've got expectations, so do our owners, we should view being top half as a minimum requirement for an acceptable season and, to be honest, I wouldn't put money on us finishing anywhere above twelfth at the moment. 

Edited by Finnegan

13 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

That is pathetic from our supporters, probably reflects what we read on here, I really don’t understand why we are that pessimistic!

Yeah but you could say our form since christmas was pathetic and our failure to secure much needed additional signings is pathetic.

Well looks like I’m on my own on the optimistic bus! 
I get why people are worried, but really there is so much to be excited about for this season. 
I honestly don’t see anything about any of the teams from last season 7th and below who have significantly improved.

We have only lost Chilwell and replaced him with a Belgian international. 
Evans is missing for the first 3 which will be a blow, but whoever replaces him will not be Ryan Bennett.

JJ is no Ticardo, but is a more than able stand in. 
I fully expect 2 or 3 players to join the ranks before the window closes. 
I think 6/7th is a reasonable expectation for the season ahead.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Well looks like I’m on my own on the optimistic bus! 
I get why people are worried, but really there is so much to be excited about for this season. 
I honestly don’t see anything about any of the teams from last season 7th and below who have significantly improved.

We have only lost Chilwell and replaced him with a Belgian international. 
Evans is missing for the first 3 which will be a blow, but whoever replaces him will not be Ryan Bennett.

JJ is no Ticardo, but is a more than able stand in. 
I fully expect 2 or 3 players to join the ranks before the window closes. 
I think 6/7th is a reasonable expectation for the season ahead.

Nope, you sure are not..I'm sat there right beside you and am really looking forward to the journey ahead of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hales said:

I'm bagging a seat on the bus too! Positive pants on

I've bought a ticket but haven't yet boarded the bus. I want to be optimistic.

Our significant drop in form from Christmas, coupled with our injuries and lack of signings gives great cause for concern.

If we perform in the first 5/6 matches and strengthen the squad, I'll be on.

• Like 1