Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

38 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Well looks like I’m on my own on the optimistic bus! 
I get why people are worried, but really there is so much to be excited about for this season. 
I honestly don’t see anything about any of the teams from last season 7th and below who have significantly improved.

We have only lost Chilwell and replaced him with a Belgian international. 
Evans is missing for the first 3 which will be a blow, but whoever replaces him will not be Ryan Bennett.

JJ is no Ticardo, but is a more than able stand in. 
I fully expect 2 or 3 players to join the ranks before the window closes. 
I think 6/7th is a reasonable expectation for the season ahead.

Arsenal 

Everton 

Southampton (were joint 4th on points with Chelsea for the last 20 odd matches of the season)

I think a lot of people are Underestimating how a bad run of form can effect a teams momentum.

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Arsenal 

Everton 

Southampton (were joint 4th on points with Chelsea for the last 20 odd matches of the season)

I think a lot of people are Underestimating how a bad run of form can effect a teams momentum.

Have any of those teams made any significant improvements to their squads though?

Arsenal have brought in Willian, who will be good for them, but doesn’t address their real problems at the back.

Everton have brought in three good Central Midfielders, but again are crap at the back and have nothing going forwards. 
Southampton again any real improvements to their squad?

I think sometimes we overestimate other clubs in terms of what they have to offer and the business they do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Have any of those teams made any significant improvements to their squads though?

Arsenal have brought in Willian, who will be good for them, but doesn’t address their real problems at the back.

Everton have brought in three good Central Midfielders, but again are crap at the back and have nothing going forwards. 
Southampton again any real improvements to their squad?

I think sometimes we overestimate other clubs in terms of what they have to offer and the business they do.

Arsenal 2 New CBS once scored today not sure why you think they didn't address the defence

Everton haven't brought 3 central midfielders

James Rodríguez Attacking Midfielder (Centre, Left, Right)

Allan Defensive Midfielder 

Southampton finished well after the Leicester defeat, so I wouldn't just dismiss clubs below 7th

52 minutes ago, Stadt said:

There’s snobbery about being pessimistic sometimes. It doesn’t make you less of a fan because you’ve got low expectations about a team. Being overly positive with us is a recipe for disaster 

What worries me it feels like the time we built the KP and we were told after that’s we had no money to buy players etc and we went down like a lead balloon.

And then with our bad results from the second half of the season I just can’t see a way out of it 

I truly hope I’m wrong 

Edited by chapero82

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Our pessimism isn't exactly based on nothing.

Interesting how low West Brom's is though, ahead of tomorrow.

Stumbled over the line after the restart and their signings have been largely tin pot bar the signing of the loan players that did well for them. Sheff Utd proved you don't need to blast £100m on star names like Fulham and Villa did and one went down in disgrace and the other survived by the skin of their teeth. Bilic is a good manager too but I can see why they are disappointed so far, let's bury them tomorrow please.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

20200912_124357.jpg

What have Brighton fans got to be optimistic about. I know they've looked a bit better under Potter, but they've still got a very average but expensive team. 

13 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Tierney is fully fit for the start of the season, and they've got Gabriel and Saliba in at CB. Plus Maitland-Niles looks set to stay. 

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Arsenal 2 New CBS once scored today not sure why you think they didn't address the defence

Everton haven't brought 3 central midfielders

James Rodríguez Attacking Midfielder (Centre, Left, Right)

Allan Defensive Midfielder 

Southampton finished well after the Leicester defeat, so I wouldn't just dismiss clubs below 7th

I’m not dismissing them ( well I am dismissing Everton), it’s just I don’t think any team outside the big guns have significantly improved their squads at present.

38 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I've bought a ticket but haven't yet boarded the bus. I want to be optimistic.

Our significant drop in form from Christmas, coupled with our injuries and lack of signings gives great cause for concern.

If we perform in the first 5/6 matches and strengthen the squad, I'll be on.

I’m pretty much the same. Pessimistic atm, but a lot can change in next few weeks.

Come the start of October we should have our full-strength side back, maybe with a couple more signings too.

Given our fixtures we should be able to win at least one, possibly two games by then. A lot can change quite quickly. 

How many times in the past decade have we gone in with much optimism? After promotion in 2014 obviously and the title win in 2016, last season too, maybe Sven's first pre-season?

3 and a bit at best.

Let's be honest, if Rodgers was removed today, was that many be disappointed? Although I think the problems run far deeper than just the manager.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

What have Brighton fans got to be optimistic about. I know they've looked a bit better under Potter, but they've still got a very average but expensive team. 

Tierney is fully fit for the start of the season, and they've got Gabriel and Saliba in at CB. Plus Maitland-Niles looks set to stay. 

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

How many times in the past decade have we gone in with much optimism? After promotion in 2014 obviously and the title win in 2016, last season too, maybe Sven's first pre-season?

3 and a bit at best.

Let's be honest, if Rodgers was removed today, was that many be disappointed? Although I think the problems run far deeper than just the manager.

When Rodgers joined we had a squad that looks promising now we don’t unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

When Rodgers joined we had a squad that looks promising now we don’t unfortunately 

It's not that much different, is it? Maguire and Chilwell have gone, Soyuncu has played a full season now whilst Evans mostly proved his worth and Castagne looks a promising signing.

I'd say the fact the squad still looks similar is a factor in the lack of optimism.

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

It's not that much different, is it? Maguire and Chilwell have gone, Soyuncu has played a full season now whilst Evans mostly proved his worth and Castagne looks a promising signing.

I'd say the fact the squad still looks similar is a factor in the lack of optimism.

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

We've only lost Chilwell and Slabhead. We've added Tielemans, Ayoze, Castagne, Praet and Justin. How is it less promising?

We still have a huge problem attacking without Vardy (and Father Time will catch up in the end) and now are being told we are short on money so to me it isn’t that promising