Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

2 hours ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Sure I have read somewhere that 5th place in England is guaranteed pot1. Much like the last time we went into pot 1 as the champions of England. Happy to be corrected though.

Pots are decided by the coefficient

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0254-0e99e0f43736-72d24b47a23c-1000--europa-league-group-stage-draw-pots-confirmed/

There will be 12 teams per pot, with the current teams qualified for the group stages we are rank 15th in terms of coefficient which would get us into Pot 2

However there are quite a lot of teams who will be going through the Europa League qualifying stages who have higher rankings than us, and also teams going through the Champions League qualifying stages who lose will drop into Europa League qualifying stages/Groups (Example: This season Celtic bottled it in the 3rd stage of Champions League qualifying and went straight into the Europa League group stages

So I would say it is quite likely we will be in Pot 3

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2020

Edited by moore_94
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

What seeding did Wolves get for the group stage @The Bear, might give us an idea, all be it we have hopefully boosted our ranking over the past few years with winning the league and a Champions League quarter final

Wolves were in Pot 3, as they hadn't been in Europe in the last 5 seasons and technically didn't have a coefficient they used the National Association Coefficient

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Wolves were in Pot 3, as they hadn't been in Europe in the last 5 seasons and technically didn't have a coefficient they used the National Association Coefficient

36 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

What seeding did Wolves get for the group stage @The Bear, might give us an idea, all be it we have hopefully boosted our ranking over the past few years with winning the league and a Champions League quarter final

Wolves had a coefficient of 17 ours is currently 22. Last season Frankfurt was the lowest ranked in pot 2 with a coefficient of 24 while you only needed 11 to get into pot 3

• Thanks 1

Watching the play off semi final on Sky brings back the tension, excitement and hope of when we were involved in those games on a regular basis. And to think that since then we have experienced the Great Escape won the Premier League and now again qualified for Europe. Plenty of ups and downs but it’s a fabulous time to be a Leicester fan. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2020 at 18:13, StanSP said:

I'm guessing you won't be watching or attending then? 

Also, there's only 6 Europa League games in the group stage. Not gonna be every weekend is it? 

Its 3 weeks in a row. We need to sort the squad out big time. Unless there is serious investment it's going to cause us problems IMO. I might become interested IF we add some serious quality to the squad. If we tinker round the edges it's an Inconvenience that will lead to a relegation battle.

On 26/07/2020 at 18:14, Fox92 said:

Not bothered about us being in a European Competition?

Fvck me, what's the point in even playing football with that attitude.

I'm more bothered about winning more than 4 games since Christmas to be honest. No point happy clapping when the reality, this is the losers prize for being absolute dog terd for half a season. No point watching football if you accept that kind of medocracity. We should play to win games, as many as possible. 

On 26/07/2020 at 18:21, FoxesDeb said:

Seriously? 

Yep sadly, doesnt interest me playing the nearlys of Europe. I'd rather win some games at home. Basically we play the teams that weren't good enough like us, then we get the teams that fail in the champions league added in later, it's on a Thursday because UEFA are basically admitting its 3rd rate and thus deserving of being played on a third rate day. Not for me.

For all those comparing us to Wolves, we are not Wolves, our style is very different, Wolves play a energy efficienteuropean style. To those saying we will win this its impossible unless we spend 200 million. 

Sorry I am such a bad entitled fan for wanting us to win more than 4 games since Christmas!! If we hadn't been in a position of being 14 points clear this might have been good but it's nothing more than a symbol of the failure in the 2 nd half of the season and all it will do unless we blow FFP out of the water is exemplify all our problems with minimal extra income.

Sick of the happy Clappers claiming this is a success. Almost as bad as bottling Brenda. Accepting medocracity breeds medocracity!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Its 3 weeks in a row. We need to sort the squad out big time. Unless there is serious investment it's going to cause us problems IMO. I might become interested IF we add some serious quality to the squad. If we tinker round the edges it's an Inconvenience that will lead to a relegation battle.

Fickle fan if ever there was one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, StanSP said:

Fickle fan if ever there was one.

Not really. I've been going down 30 odd years. But I'm obviously a shit fan because I want us to win more than 4 games in 6 months, more than that actually look like we want to win games.

Our squad has big problems at present. We are wasting our time if we start next season and Euro league with this squad. 

If we are going to compete we need the squad for it, which we dont have. We are unlikely to have the money to.

I was gutted after yesterday. But after sleeping on it I've looked at things a little differently. I remember the buzz, the excitement for our champs league  games in 16-17 and the kp was absolutely electric. The chances are, fans won't even be allowed into the stadiums anytime soon so it just wouldn't be the same only been able to watch the games on tv. I know there is more to it than this, like the financial aspect and potentially  being able to attract a higher calibre of player when we are in the champs league, but it would have been a real sickener to be in the champs league for only the 2nd time in our history and not be able to go to the KP  and watch the games or go to the away games. Whilst I'm certainly not dismissing the fact we are in the Europa league, like many on here seem to be doing, I wouldnt mind as much only having to watch them games on the tv. And if we manage to get out of the group, the knockout stages would be after xmas and by themn hopefully the stadiums can reopen and we may get a nice trip to a European city. And I genuinely think, with the right signings, we could compete in the europa league and go all the way. Wolves have proven you can still do well in the league and compete in the Europa league, and they had to play horrible qualifiers last summer as well. Onwards and upwards, im starting to be a bit more positive after being gutted yesterday 

• Like 2

Just now, Foxin_Mad said:

Not really. I've been going down 30 odd years. But I'm obviously a shit fan because I want us to win more than 4 games in 6 months, more than that actually look like we want to win games.

Our squad has big problems at present. We are wasting our time if we start next season and Euro league with this squad. 

If we are going to compete we need the squad for it, which we dont have. We are unlikely to have the money to.

But you can't be arsed supporting the club when they're about to be in Europe lol 

If you're not fickle, it's just fvcking weird to not want to support the club because we'll be playing on Thursday and Sunday instead lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But you can't be arsed supporting the club when they're about to be in Europe lol 

If you're not fickle, it's just fvcking weird to not want to support the club because we'll be playing on Thursday and Sunday instead lol 

It just doesnt interest me to be honest. It's a third rate competition, confirmed by being played on a Thursday. It's full of nearly teams who failed to get to the champions league, then to add insult to injury the teams that failed in the champions league get dumped into it for a second chance. It laughable to be honest.

If you have loads of money and some time to waste then fair enough. We dont.

I'd rather the club stay in the Premier League, this is a huge threat to that IMO. But at least when we get relegated next season our happy clappers can take solice in the fact we beat some Baltic fishermen.

It just doesnt interest me to be honest. It's a third rate competition, confirmed by being played on a Thursday. It's full of nearly teams who failed to get to the champions league, then to add insult to injury the teams that failed in the champions league get dumped into it for a second chance. It laughable to be honest.

I'd rather the club stay in the Premier League, this is a huge threat to that IMO. But at least when we get relegated next season our happy clappers can take solice in the fact we beat some Baltic fishermen.

The club can conceivable do both. Compete in the Europa League and Premier League.

I bet if we do well in both you'll be loving it.

Ergo, fickle.

• Like 1

Almost sounds to me that you would enjoy us getting relegated so you can enjoy the good old days of facing Yeovil or Stockport County. I'm sorry but I'd much rather personally be going to Naples or San Sebastian on a Thursday than Carlisle on a Wednesday. But each to their own I guess.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

The club can conceivable do both. Compete in the Europa League and Premier League.

I bet if we do well in both you'll be loving it.

Ergo, fickle.

Nope I want us to do well in the Premier League first and foremost as that is our bread and butter. We dont have the squad to do well in both. We dont have the squad to be consistent in the Premier league with a 3 month break.

If Top is going to give us 200 million to buy a decent squad then we might have hope of competing in both. Until then I maintain it's a problem for us nothing more. I cant get excited about something that is going to risk our league form.

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Nope I want us to do well in the Premier League first and foremost as that is our bread and butter. We dont have the squad to do well in both. We dont have the squad to be consistent in the Premier league with a 3 month break.

If Top is going to give us 200 million to buy a decent squad then we might have hope of competing in both. Until then I maintain it's a problem for us nothing more. I cant get excited about something that is going to risk our league form.

Nothing like premier league mediocrity to get the blood pumping every season is there 

5 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Almost sounds to me that you would enjoy us getting relegated so you can enjoy the good old days of facing Yeovil or Stockport County. I'm sorry but I'd much rather personally be going to Naples or San Sebastian on a Thursday than Carlisle on a Wednesday. But each to their own I guess.

I am not the one getting excited about a competition we dont have the squad for, and that we dont get much additional money to enable us to build a squad for.  Relegation is a threat that comes because of your trips to Naples because our squad doesnt have depth and we dont have the money to give it depth. 

1 minute ago, Samilktray said:

Nothing like premier league mediocrity to get the blood pumping every season is there 

Beats relegation. That's what you lot have been enjoying since Christmas passing it around at the back and conceding. If we had mediocre form instead of relegation form we would have been in the Champions League.

Before anyone says it. We are not Wolves.

I think in the coming weeks and months it’ll become clear that we’re not going to be getting to any European away days. The officials in the UK today are talking about potentially all of next season with reduced crowds - they won’t even get to thinking about away fans until they can get the full contingent of home fans in.

You might be able to travel to the country/city but you won’t be getting in the ground and with minimal other City fans travelling then what’s the point?

For me, that’s much easier to take now it’s Europa League rather than Champions League. If we get to the knockout stages then we might get one or two away trips then but the more I think about it the less I can see the European campaign we are all  hoping for.

From reading the comments in here I think the penny isn’t dropping for a fair few just yet.

14 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Ok, so until we do our aim should be to go for the top 4 or finish mid-table. Ignore all cups including the Fa Cup and League Cup?

15 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I am not the one getting excited about a competition we dont have the squad for, and that we dont get much additional money to enable us to build a squad for.  Relegation is a threat that comes because of your trips to Naples because our squad doesnt have depth and we dont have the money to give it depth. 

Beats relegation. That's what you lot have been enjoying since Christmas passing it around at the back and conceding. If we had mediocre form instead of relegation form we would have been in the Champions League.

Before anyone says it. We are not Wolves.

No we are a much more established premier league side than wolves who also happened to finish higher than them in the table. We are in a much better position to compete on two fronts than wolves.