Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

I want us to take this serious with the attitude we want to win it.

Also this is now our only realistic chance of another CL competition, as we wont be anywhere near it in the league next season.

I would be proud if we win it, a cup is a cup.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Ok, so until we do our aim should be to go for the top 4 or finish mid-table. Ignore all cups including the Fa Cup and League Cup?

The priority has to be a decent finish in a league that pays the Bill's. Win as many games as possible for me.....actually try to beat the likes of Norwich, Brighton, Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, but for that you need a big quality squad which we dont have.

16 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

No we are a much more established premier league side than wolves who also happened to finish higher than them in the table. We are in a much better position to compete on two fronts than wolves. 

We really arent. Wolves play a conserved european style masterminded by a clever Portuguese tactician. Had they not had the inconvenience of the Euro cup they would have finished above us this year. They are only below us based on a few dubious VAR decisions head to head vs us. They will be miles ahead of us next year.

If we continue with this squad and level of performance, we will be in a relegation battle no doubt about it. 

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We really arent. Wolves play a conserved european style masterminded by a clever Portuguese tactician. Had they not had the inconvenience of the Euro cup they would have finished above us this year. They are only below us based on a few dubious VAR decisions head to head vs us. They will be miles ahead of us next year.

If we continue with this squad and level of performance, we will be in a relegation battle no doubt about it. 

Wolves for me have done brilliantly to do what they've done over the last 3 season but you see quite a lot teams having a good couple first seasons in the premier league then being found out and falling away. Talking decisions, it's not like we haven't had any go against us.

I just don't see us being in a relegation fight, I think we have too much quality and Rodgers is too good of a manger for that to happen.

5 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I'd like us to give it a real good go, but I don't like the current format. I think it should be a two-legged knockout cup competition all the way through. The league format works well in Champions League, but for the Europa I think it is overkill.

Going up to Group L is absolutely superb

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I just don't see us being in a relegation fight, I think we have too much quality and Rodgers is too good of a manger for that to happen.

I don't understand what you are saying, if our2020 season was the norm for a football season we would be in a relegation battle.

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Pots are decided by the coefficient

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0254-0e99e0f43736-72d24b47a23c-1000--europa-league-group-stage-draw-pots-confirmed/

There will be 12 teams per pot, with the current teams qualified for the group stages we are rank 15th in terms of coefficient which would get us into Pot 2

However there are quite a lot of teams who will be going through the Europa League qualifying stages who have higher rankings than us, and also teams going through the Champions League qualifying stages who lose will drop into Europa League qualifying stages/Groups (Example: This season Celtic bottled it in the 3rd stage of Champions League qualifying and went straight into the Europa League group stages

So I would say it is quite likely we will be in Pot 3

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2020

This coefficient ranking system is a load of balls. 

19 minutes ago, nnickn said:

I don't understand what you are saying, if our2020 season was the norm for a football season we would be in a relegation battle.

and if the 19/20 premier league season was our season, which it was, then we finish 5th. I don't get what you are saying. Anyone would think we had just stayed up on goal difference.

Six matches to get out the way, the lower the pot, the better for City.

Get it out the way it means nothing, no player of the quality we need is going to say

"ooh look, Leicester are in the Uefa cup, I will go there instead of Arsenal."

Much as City have done brilliant this year, in the end we  blew it, set us back 3 years minimum.

Another thing, if they don.t get their fingers out and persuade Zaha, we will struggle for top 6 next year.

Edited by nnickn

15 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

and if the 19/20 premier league season was our season, which it was, then we finish 5th. I don't get what you are saying. Anyone would think we had just stayed up on goal difference.

you are taking issue with  a quote on the 2020 season, and replying with stats  for 2019/20.

Another poster has given you a link that over the 2020 season we gained 2 more points than Watford, who were relegated.

Would that not be classed as a relegaton battle?

1 minute ago, nnickn said:

you are taking issue with  a quote on the 2020 season, and replying with stats  for 2019/20.

Another poster has given you a link that over the 2020 season we gained 2 more points than Watford, who were relegated.

Would that not be classed as a relegaton battle?

My point is a season is played over 38 games and not 18, you've conveniently ignored the first 20 games to further your point. Watford as well had a pretty good second half of the season, to be on the brink of safety after being so far a drift shows that.

I really don't understand where your pessimism is coming from. Yes we have been very poor recently but I think relegation is a bit of a stretch.  

15 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

What seeding did Wolves get for the group stage @The Bear, might give us an idea, all be it we have hopefully boosted our ranking over the past few years with winning the league and a Champions League quarter final

I can't remember tbh. 

The rankings are quite complicated. Goes on your country's coefficient, plus individual club bonus points and all sorts of other nonsense. 

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedel2019.html

That has info from 19/20 but as to how it's all worked out, as I said it's complex. You'll have a higher coefficient as you've gone straight into the group stages plus played in previous European competition. 

Edit - This is how it's calculated:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/calc.html#:~:text=UEFA Country Ranking&text=The so-called UEFA coefficients,of teams of each country.

Edited by The Bear

1 hour ago, nnickn said:

Six matches to get out the way, the lower the pot, the better for City.

Get it out the way it means nothing, no player of the quality we need is going to say

"ooh look, Leicester are in the Uefa cup, I will go there instead of Arsenal."

Much as City have done brilliant this year, in the end we  blew it, set us back 3 years minimum.

Another thing, if they don.t get their fingers out and persuade Zaha, we will struggle for top 6 next year.

I don't feel like "set us back" is accurate. Without Rodgers and his efforts in the first place, we wouldn't have been able to leapfrog ahead of the schedule of our clubs development in the first place. That he failed to do so is upsetting, obviously, but I think it's a good idea to remember that he gave us that chance in the first place as well.

Looking at events in Spain etc, how sure are we that the competition will actually go ahead?  I think it’s quite certain that no opposition fans will be allowed to go to games and if quarantine becomes a more widespread thing, then teams may have to fly in same day, play and fly back out again (Staying in a bio bubble the whole time)  to avoid Issues on their return by arrangement with authorities in both countries .  

This may sound weird but I’m really looking forward to the EL simply because I haven’t experienced it yet. It’s a different one from the CL, playing at rougher places and have a chance at going further in the tournament. Bring it on I say, the CL can wait after we win this damn thing :scarf:

Gimme somewhere in the Balkans or Eastern Europe and I’m over the moon. I’ve been to Yerevan & Tbilisi last year, would love to experience cities like that very soon.

6 hours ago, nnickn said:

Rubbish, we targeted top 6 , so we are actually were the club intend to be!

Being in the CL in 2016/17 didn't push us on due to poor recruitment and management.

The secret too pushing on is to do those two things well.

11 hours ago, peach0000 said:

No we are a much more established premier league side than wolves who also happened to finish higher than them in the table. We are in a much better position to compete on two fronts than wolves. 

Agree. Also we already have a bigger squad than Wolves. Wolves have a bit of quality, no denying that, but it's a small group. They've competed in both competitions fine, just like many clubs have done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Looking at events in Spain etc, how sure are we that the competition will actually go ahead?  I think it’s quite certain that no opposition fans will be allowed to go to games and if quarantine becomes a more widespread thing, then teams may have to fly in same day, play and fly back out again (Staying in a bio bubble the whole time)  to avoid Issues on their return by arrangement with authorities in both countries .  

Suspect it will go ahead but with constant testing. 

Sadly countries which were doing well battling the virus and had begun allowing crowds to football stadiums are now having spikes and will go back strict (Belgium, Croatia, Serbia for example). So can’t see fans travelling in the group stages 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

10 hours ago, nnickn said:

exactly, this year Everton finished 12th, before Christmas they were touted for relegation.

If we repeat the first half of this season for both halves of next season, we'll probably win the league. 

Who saw either half of this season coming before it happened? There are just too many variables to predict, without even factoring in recruitment this summer. 

Like every other team, we easily could come out all guns blazing start of next season, or a load of rubbish. 

Chelsea and Man U both also had awful runs this season. Only difference was ours was at the end of the season. 

• Like 1