Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

14 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Yeah but we signed him for 3 million. Bargains like that are ok. I wouldn't pay more than 22 million for tarko

he’s also been a nailed on starter.. which is the main reason we bought him- we tried to sign him the january before for 20 million.. so in this instance i don’t think the fee was a factor

Edited by MPH

I personally think this would be a great signing.

I would obviously be pleased if we got Fofana or Kabak but personally a bit surprised given we have Cags and then Benkovic as relative youth at centre-back.

I thought that they'd rather a bit more experience, to allow them to comfortably rotate Evans or Söyüncü and not risk a young player whose confidence may be shot after early poor displays etc.

Tarkowski is one of the league's outstanding natural defenders and he's played in a good Brentford side that was decent in possession too. 

In 4atb options of Evans, Söyüncü, Tarkowski and Morgan is quality, with Fuchs able to cover there too. Get Benkovic a good loan and we would be laughing.

• Like 1

I won’t understand why anyone can diss this.. there are not many Decent prem proven CB’s attainable.

We need another established player at the back in our squad. Lose Evans/Soyuncu and we’re f**ked if we’re serious about competing in EL and want to qualify for it again via the PL.

Tarkowski should still have 6 more years in him

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Always sceptical about defenders who play in a low block, more than often. Because they’re well drilled in a system which doesn’t require too much technical ability, doesn’t mean they’re cut it in a different system. 

Does not mean they are not either. The guy was known as a good passer at Brentford and has been around the England squad. He is better than Wes etc. Could play in a 3 or rotating with Caglar and Evans. Also fills English quota. If there is a chance he is available we should be all over this. 

30m is still pricey, but given we sold Maguire for 80m (-15% for Hull sell on fee) and then finding a good replacement for less than half of that... I think that's good business. Tarkowski is a good player, he was just never worth 40-50m, but then again Maguire was never worth 80m. So it's hard to be mad at a club like Burnley for upping the price of a player when we've done the same thing.

I imagine Burnley need the money as they aren't usually the most active club at the best of time in terms of transfers, so I could see them selling one of either McNeil or Tarkowski to us. Both are good player, but would rather take Tarkowski from them and go for another winger, though wouldn't be that upset to see McNeil here. Stengs (Ric Flair's boy) is the one I we should really go for though on the wings!

Would be more than happy with this although Fofana looks a great prospect and more of a Leicester type investment. The problem is that we need someone who could fit in straight away who knows the English game  and Tarkowski fits the bill.We are asking for trouble if we go into the new season as threadbare as we seem to be in defence. This is an issue we have had for months and it was not really sorted in January but of course Morgan's injury has brought it into focus.I doubt there will be a bargain price here and Burnley have just send out a defender on loan.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Star on Sunday saying we’re in for him at 30m. 

They said we were after Matt Targett so not the most reliable source! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/leicester-burnley-tarkowski-west-ham-22634008.amp

3D675B09-2EFB-48D6-9185-F10E199B0CDC.jpeg

They're also claiming that Liverpool have told Barca they can have Wijnaldum for £15m. Pretty confident this is absolute bollocks.

Shame as I think Tarkowski would be an excellent signing.

37 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

Desperately need another centre back. Pay up to £40 million and get this done. Going rate for a decent premier league player 

If you want to pay 40m for 1 player and blow most of our budget, this really isn't that 1 player. Thankfully it is a business with decisions made by businessmen who won't waste it on a desperate whim.

5 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

They're also claiming that Liverpool have told Barca they can have Wijnaldum for £15m. Pretty confident this is absolute bollocks.

Shame as I think Tarkowski would be an excellent signing.

There's nothing ridiculous about Wijnaldum being £15m, he's out of contract next summer and has a choice to either sign a new one or leave this summer. Otherwise the kings of free transfers Juventus will have him for nothing next summer.

He's 30 in two months and a system player, I'd be surprised if Barcelona paid £20m for him

11 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

There's nothing ridiculous about Wijnaldum being £15m, he's out of contract next summer and has a choice to either sign a new one or leave this summer. Otherwise the kings of free transfers Juventus will have him for nothing next summer.

He's 30 in two months and a system player, I'd be surprised if Barcelona paid £20m for him

He's literally the opposite of a system player, can play anywhere on the pitch. For example he plays CAM for the netherlands and scores loads but he plays b2b/dm for liverpool.

When I read this "Player X isn't worth amount X" erm hang on, we got 80m for Maguire and 50m for Chilwell, they weren't worth that either.

Sometimes you pay over the odds and sometimes you receive over the odds. We more often than not seem to get our sums right.

Ricardo at over 20m seemed very pricey for a full back but wow what a signing and look at what he's worth now.

Soyuncu and Maddison would also command much, much higher fees now.

If, for example, we got Castagne and Tarkowski for the same money we got for Chilwell, I don't think we should complain too much.

And if it was 30m for Castagne and 20m for Tarkowski (or even 25m each) how would that affect the mindset of fans?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

When I read this "Player X isn't worth amount X" erm hang on, we got 80m for Maguire and 50m for Chilwell, they weren't worth that either.

Sometimes you pay over the odds and sometimes you receive over the odds. We more often than not seem to get our sums right.

Ricardo at over 20m seemed very pricey for a full back but wow what a signing and look at what he's worth now.

Soyuncu and Maddison would also command much, much higher fees now.

If, for example, we got Castagne and Tarkowski for the same money we got for Chilwell, I don't think we should complain too much.

And if it was 30m for Castagne and 20m for Tarkowski (or even 25m each) how would that affect the mindset of fans?

I agree. Almost every signing is a gamble and VFM can only really be gauged on how the player performs after joining.

If an expensive signing performs well and is deemed successful then the big transfer fee will go largely unnoticed. E.g. Elliott, Ulloa, Okazaki, Ndidi, Maguire, Pereira, Maddison, Soyoncu, etc.

Large transfer fees will normally only become relevant and get highlighted as overpriced if the player is a flop after signing. E.g. Akinbiyi, Inler, Musa, Slimani, Silva, Ghezzal, etc. 

23 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

And yet somehow Keane is still a regular in the England squad, and even more astonishingly is quite often a starter.

England have a squad with great potential but with our defensive weaknesses and Southgate as manager I fear the potential will not be fulfilled.

England will win nothing with this defence or manager. That much is clear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Perez is a proven PL player and many believe he's had a poor season for us. If we got Tarkowski for £20m then that's fine, as you say he is proven and it's a reasonable price. If he doesn't hit the same heights as he has at Burnley, playing in a different system then it's not rhe end of the world but if we're looking at £35-40m for him at his age then no way. Burnely won't sell for £20m so we shouldn't even entertain the possibility.

For me Perez was proven at Premier League level to be OK but not a lot more. The reason people get more excited by the mystery signings is because while you know what you're getting with someone like Perez, you also know what you're not getting.

• Like 3