Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

8 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

I personally think this would be a great signing.

I would obviously be pleased if we got Fofana or Kabak but personally a bit surprised given we have Cags and then Benkovic as relative youth at centre-back.

I thought that they'd rather a bit more experience, to allow them to comfortably rotate Evans or Söyüncü and not risk a young player whose confidence may be shot after early poor displays etc.

Tarkowski is one of the league's outstanding natural defenders and he's played in a good Brentford side that was decent in possession too. 

In 4atb options of Evans, Söyüncü, Tarkowski and Morgan is quality, with Fuchs able to cover there too. Get Benkovic a good loan and we would be laughing.

Surely Benkovic would be sold - I can’t see he has a future here if we add Tarkowski 

46 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If we signed players like Simpson, Huth and Albrighton now you’d have a fit at the club for signing rejects from other teams.

If we signed Tarkowski for £35m and played 5 years as a starting centre back, with us competing as a top half team would that not, with hindsight, class him as a bargain?

It’s about signing good players.

It wouldn't be a bargain, no.

However if we pay £35m for him then that's what I hope and expect from him. He's a good player, not 100% certain he is bulletproof to be as good as Evans and Soyuncu but he's also not the carthorse some make him out to be because he plays for Burnley.

I see you conveniently left out Fuchs and Evans from my list of bargains, two examples of either knock down bargains or free transfers that can still be found. Likewise, the best one we ever had in Cambiasso.  There are still these sorts of players available every so often, but admittedly it's not easy to click your fingers and get them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It wouldn't be a bargain, no.

However if we pay £35m for him then that's what I hope and expect from him. He's a good player, not 100% certain he is bulletproof to be as good as Evans and Soyuncu but he's also not the carthorse some make him out to be because he plays for Burnley.

I see you conveniently left out Fuchs and Evans from my list of bargains, two examples of either knock down bargains or free transfers that can still be found. Likewise, the best one we ever had in Cambiasso.  There are still these sorts of players available every so often, but admittedly it's not easy to click your fingers and get them. 

How much of a bargain is Evans exactly? If a good players is on a free or a knocked down fee, then you have to pay them more to get them. His agent would have demanded a huge signing on fee and we probably paid him vastly more than he was earning at West Brom. Not everything is decided by the fee. 

3 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

No suggestions that we are still interested. However if we are I would just pay the money. 

The Daily Star (hopeless I know) are claiming we’re about to bid £30m and will go beyond that if West Ham match our offer. 🤔 

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

How much of a bargain is Evans exactly? If a good players is on a free or a knocked down fee, then you have to pay them more to get them. His agent would have demanded a huge signing on fee and we probably paid him vastly more than he was earning at West Brom. Not everything is decided by the fee. 

He cost £3m when we offered £20m the summer before. Even if we chuffed up £7m in signing on fees and agent fees it represents very good business for a PL winner who thankfully had a crap season amongst a team in disarray and became available very cheap. He's gone on to be a linchpin for us.

2 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

If we were to spend £30m on him, I’m sure the club see him as a starting CB next to Soyuncu. Don’t believe they’d pay that for a back up at 25/26. Harsh on Evans that. 

You won’t push Evans out the team. No chance he’s the best we’ve got and probably in the top 5/6 in the division.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

In this case it’s a clear indicator of playing three at the back. When you consider that we’d have Castagne & Ricardo as Wing backs. Tielemans & Wilf in central midfield with Maddison and Perez supporting Vardy. Would also suggest why it’s very quiet on the signing of a winger front. 

Yeah it may well be that this is the case. It perhaps means that 4-1-4-1 will be plan B (impact subs) or played later in the season if we manage to pick up a winger late in the window?

........................Kasper 

Ricardo Tarkowski Evans Soyunco Castagne

..........................Ndidi

..........Tielemans.........Maddison 

.........................Vardy

Okay so obviously there’s a player missing here as it’s only a line up of 10 and it’s Barnes or Perez...

Stick one of them on though and it’s awfully unbalanced unless played as a 10.

So unless we go 4-1-4-1 and stick on those two mentioned above or another right sided signing I don’t see 3 at the back working and getting our best and most creative players on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

........................Kasper 

Ricardo Tarkowski Evans Soyunco Castagne

..........................Ndidi

..........Tielemans.........Maddison 

.........................Vardy

Okay so obviously there’s a player missing here as it’s only a line up of 10 and it’s Barnes or Perez...

Stick one of them on though and it’s awfully unbalanced unless played as a 10.

So unless we go 4-1-4-1 and stick on those two mentioned above or another right sided signing I don’t see 3 at the back working and getting our best and most creative players on the pitch.

Drop Tielemans back next to Ndidi and have Barnes or Perez supporting Vardy with Maddison

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Drop Tielemans back next to Ndidi and have Barnes or Perez supporting Vardy with Maddison

Sure but then you go back to the Puel double pivot. You also go back to Tielemans being played too deep and we saw how brilliant he was further up the pitch after the re-start. We also then arguably are left unbalanced with our most creative players playing out of position. That’s in essence the problem I’m trying to highlight if we play Tarkowski in a 3 at the back.

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Sure but then you go back to the Puel double pivot. You also go back to Tielemans being played too deep and we saw how brilliant he was further up the pitch after the re-start. We also then arguably are left unbalanced with our most creative players playing out of position. That’s in essence the problem I’m trying to highlight if we play Tarkowski in a 3 at the back.

Just Tarkowski or 3 at the back in general?

It would be as per @Lcfc-1992 suggested Tielemans would drop back with another supporting Vardy, where did Tielemans play for Belgium last night and most have said he was probably MotM

51 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

If we were to spend £30m on him, I’m sure the club see him as a starting CB next to Soyuncu. Don’t believe they’d pay that for a back up at 25/26. Harsh on Evans that. 

Admittedly unlikely but we could potentially play 64 games this season. We'll need at least 3 centre backs of high quality (first team) as well as the normal squad players in reserve, even if we only play with 2 at the back all season and dont have any injuries. So whoever we sign won't replace Evans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

Surely you’re highlighting 3 atb issues (irrelevant of tarkowski)

with the attacking prowess of both Ricky and Timmy, I expect Brendan is likely to play a quite fluid 3 atb system with much interchanging of players - that could be quite a ride with the good being v v good and the bad being disastrous! 

I can’t see this being our #1 CB target, we would have to pay close to the 40m that gravel chops has quoted.

They have no need to sell and won’t be dropping the price the closer to the end of window it gets as they would need to replace their starting 11 CB it would make no sense for them.

Another CB is vital as we are suited to a three at the back and it gives us some depth if one were to get injured/suspended and we went to a back 4.

If we signed Tarks/Fofana I’d be comfortable with Wes/Benks/Amartey/JJ as our other options If shit hit the fan