Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DerbyshireFox

UEFA Champions League 20/21

7 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He was identifying the only black player on the bench, i dont agree with him referring to him just because of his race but its clear theres no racist undertones there. It was just a silly thing to do especially in todays society.

Footage translated from Romanian picks up Coltescu saying to the referee when discussing Webo's sending off: "The black one over there. Go and check who he is. The black one over there, it's not possible to act like that."

This above is the alleged translation. To be it suggests there is no need to say 'the black one' and it certainly comes across as an aggressive way to describe what happened. To say that there are no racial undertones is a bit of "sweeping it under the carpet" 

I agree it is not hate filled per se, however racism regardless of how hate filled it is, is wrong and we cannot shy away from that. It always starts as an undertone and when that is accepted it grows. 

Edited by hejammy

5 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Footage translated from Romanian picks up Coltescu saying to the referee when discussing Webo's sending off: "The black one over there. Go and check who he is. The black one over there, it's not possible to act like that."

This above is the alleged translation. To be it suggests there is no need to say 'the black one' and it certainly comes across as an aggressive way to describe what happened. To say that there are no racial undertones is a bit of "sweeping it under the carpet" 

I agree it is not hate filled per se, however racism regardless of how hate filled it is, is wrong and we cannot shy away from that. It always starts as an undertone and when that is accepted it grows. 

We're already way beyond undertone, sadly. 

Regarding Demba Ba's comment that no one would say, it's the white guy, I think if there was a white guy playing in a team in Africa, he might quite correctly be pointed out as the white guy. It would probably be the stand out difference of identification. It's all about context. I can understand some people getting upset, but it's a complete over reaction. Scrapping a whole football match will only add ammo to the It's-political-correctness-gone-mad brigade. It could totally have just been sorted out post-match.

Whatever happened to stick and stones?

• Haha 1

Take a pinch of white man
Wrap him up in black skin
Add a touch of blue blood
And a little bitty bit of red Indian boy
Oh like a Curly Latin kinkies
Oh Lordy, Lordy, mixed with yellow Chinkees, yeah
You know you lump it all together
And you got a recipe for a get along scene
Oh what a beautiful dream
If it could only come true, you know, you know
What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough enough enough to take
The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people by the score

8 minutes ago, boots60 said:
Take a pinch of white man
Wrap him up in black skin
Add a touch of blue blood
And a little bitty bit of red Indian boy
Oh like a Curly Latin kinkies
Oh Lordy, Lordy, mixed with yellow Chinkees, yeah
You know you lump it all together
And you got a recipe for a get along scene
Oh what a beautiful dream
If it could only come true, you know, you know
What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough enough enough to take
The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people by the score

Erm, what?

Identifying someone by a stand out characteristic is at the very very worst clumsy.

I noticed the lads in the BT studio were massively up in arms about it at first (which is fair when they are told that an official has been making racist comments), then when they saw the video they seemed a lot calmer about it.

Edited by filbertway

Just now, Nick said:

I think it's an Alan Partridge quote but no idea of it's origin if it wasn't originally from there.

Edit:

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

They're lyrics, had to google it, Culture Club - Melting Pot.

Ah that makes sense!

59 minutes ago, hejammy said:

He was identifying him as that because it was a defined characteristic which he didn't share with the rest of the bench, is it wrong? Yes, is it racist? No. Its all about nuance and context here, you can be wrong regarding things like this but it doesn't make it racist. His comments don't suggest he was saying this man is acting up because of his race, if he was then it would be racist.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StanSP said:

Imagine if Rodgers came out with this shite lol lol

Inspirational and thought provoking stuff- reminds of Winston Churchill's call to arms "We shall fight them on the beaches...err well only certain beaches not the ones with shingle obviously - mainly the sandy ones..."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Identifying someone by a stand out characteristic is at the very very worst clumsy.

I noticed the lads in the BT studio were massively up in arms about it at first (which is fair when they are told that an official has been making racist comments), then when they saw the video they seemed a lot calmer about it.

It was guy with a cute dimple in the recess of his left knee? :dunno:

Same old issue, no-one knows what to say, so no-one can be "educated". Why don't a group of people from different races just sit down round a table and and write down what are acceptable and what are not acceptable terms or words that are allowed to be used when describing someone from another race, and then print it out on posters all round the world so everyone knows once and for all what's taboo and what's not, and that's it, end of problem.

I dont think the 4th official is racist. Do I think he should officiate for UEFA again ? Yes but not without further training. Its simple, your position in society requires you to act accordingly. He works for a very large organisation with members from many different backgrounds. I can completely understand why Webo found the term offensive and given that football is an emotional/passionate industry, during the mist of a game to be accused of misdemeanour ignites that passion i.e. that feeling (that we have all had as Leicester fans) that the world is against you. To then add in a further element to single out that individual is bound to raise tension. I would expect UEFA officials to know this - to be trained on this. Especially in this day and age. 

Its like someone pointing at me and going "that Asian lad". I hate that term - there are many different types of people and culture that fall within the definition of an "Asian". That doesn't mean someone off the street who uses the term is immediately prejudicial or racist. I would not hold it against them. However, if I was working for someone and they chose to differentiate me with the rest of my team as the "Asian one". That would be an issue for me. It comes across offensive and unless you've felt some level of prejudice before, its a very difficult feeling to explain but its similar to feeling "picked on" like Webo may have felt yesterday. That and the fact that sound of the word holds serious connotations.

Its a very sensitive subject and I dont think the "offending" party held any malice. Its just a case of better education to help people live better with one and another.  

3 hours ago, hejammy said:

I'm sorry but how are you able to see there is no clear racial intent? Again I ask the question (same as Demba Ba) do you think he would have said "the white guy" if the red card was for one of the other staff members? I have a feeling not....so although it's not racist in the classical obnoxious sense, there are some racist undertones in his action. The sad thing is that people (generally speaking those who have not really had any racism effecting them) see this as "ridiculous" or being blown out of proportion, and this is why racism in varying forms still exists in 2020 

This:

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He was identifying the only black player on the bench, i dont agree with him referring to him just because of his race but its clear theres no racist undertones there. It was just a silly thing to do especially in todays society.

You have half a dozen players, all wearing the same clothes; physical descriptors like skin colour/hair colour/style are pretty much all you have left.

Would I refer to 'the White guy'? If he was the only white player on the bench, absolutely I would.

They didn't start but Mane and Firmino are now both playing in a game that matters the square root of fvck all. In addition to starting Salah and Jota as well. 

Yet no doubt he'll continue to moan about tiredness/fatigue for his players even though he's played them in a meaningless game :dunno:

Speaking of Liverpool playing many normal starters...

What a shame for some of the kids at the club!  Can you imagine at 18 or 19 getting a chance to start (or even just play) in the Champions League?  This is the perfect opportunity, and they start  Mane, Firmino, Salah, and Jota?

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Nice, Ajax were shit.

Edit, not nice if we lose tomorrow and get them with no fans.

We can't draw them tomorrow as they'll seeded as a best 3rd-placed finisher. 

Edit: I re-read what you said and it makes sense. Ignore! 

Edited by StanSP