Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DerbyshireFox

UEFA Champions League 20/21

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Unofficial reports that the PSG game will be played tomorrow.

Normally the case when it's weather. 

The difficulty with that incident is that on the face, yes it's racist. For a guy from Romania, he won't view it that way - you can tell by the look in his face, he knows he's ****ed up. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The difficulty with that incident is that on the face, yes it's racist. For a guy from Romania, he won't view it that way - you can tell by the look in his face, he knows he's ****ed up. 

Yeah, I remember Newcastle had a game in Barcelona moved back because of rain.

Even if it wasn't meant in an offensive manner, as someone said in the Europa League thread in the main forum, it's very unprofessional to do it. This is the workplace, we shouldn't forget. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Dunno about that, I thought that from the look on his face he hadn’t got a clue what he was being accused of and was still trying to explain what he’d said

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Hope he enjoyed his career while it lasted, dumbass

Nothing wrong with that at all.

If he did just use the term black I feel very sorry for him. I’ve sat and watched black (if I’m still allowed to say that) footballers take serious racial abuse, monkey chants etc off hundreds of people and UEFA have done nothing but hand our token fines.

If the answer is to hang some random 4th official out to dry who meant no harm at all and was just trying to identify someone I despair.

Totally trivialising the issue, and giving the far right ammunition and sympathy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

If he did just use the term black I feel very sorry for him. I’ve sat and watched black (if I’m still allowed to say that) footballers take serious racial abuse, monkey chants etc off hundreds of people and UEFA have done nothing but hand our token fines.

If the answer is to hang some random 4th official out to dry who meant no harm at all and was just trying to identify someone I despair.

Totally trivialising the issue, and giving the far right ammunition and sympathy.

I have Indian mates and they've referred to me as 'white boy' before. I've definitely done similar with regards to them, but we're mates at the end of the day and we know our own boundaries. I don't think what he's said exactly is wrong, but it's the environment in which he's said it, there was always going to be controversy. I don't know if it was a language issue or something like that, I guess we'll find out in the coming days once the reports are filed and it's been investigated.

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I have Indian mates and they've referred to me as 'white boy' before. I've definitely done similar with regards to them, but we're mates at the end of the day and we know our own boundaries. I don't think what he's said exactly is wrong, but it's the environment in which he's said it, there was always going to be controversy. I don't know if it was a language issue or something like that, I guess we'll find out in the coming days once the reports are filed and it's been investigated.

it’s not even that though, I find white boy offensive if someone I didn’t know said it to me as it’s a racial slur. Where as if someone was trying to pick me out of a multi racial group by saying “the white guy” then no problem at all. I’m white.

I believe it was said in Spanish or a similar language (Italian Romanian Portuguese or french) in which the word for black is obviously linked to offensive words in English, but he wasn’t speaking English. 

The thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth is the bloke is now going to be dragged into the spot light as something he is not purely for the sake of making an example.

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

This is part of my problem too. It's extremely naive from the official but if it's become the norm to start making an example of those who make an error rather than anything malicious then it's a bit worrying if you ask me. That Cavani 'incident' the other week for example they were trying to make an example of him despite even acknowledging there was no malice. What are they going to do when they get actual malice?

Do not like the direction it's headed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is part of my problem too. It's extremely naive from the official but if it's become the norm to start making an example of those who make an error rather than anything malicious then it's a bit worrying if you ask me. That Cavani 'incident' the other week for example they were trying to make an example of him despite even acknowledging there was no malice. What are they going to do when they get actual malice?

Do not like the direction it's headed.

Romanians never did the slave trade so they won't have really known much about it. To him it was just calling a block of cheese cheese  most likley. This is hardly monkey chanting is it.

6 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

it’s not even that though, I find white boy offensive if someone I didn’t know said it to me as it’s a racial slur. Where as if someone was trying to pick me out of a multi racial group by saying “the white guy” then no problem at all. I’m white.

I believe it was said in Spanish or a similar language (Italian Romanian Portuguese or french) in which the word for black is obviously linked to offensive words in English, but he wasn’t speaking English. 

The thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth is the bloke is now going to be dragged into the spot light as something he is not purely for the sake of making an example.

So you find if someone calls you "white boy" in a negative situation then it's offensive but just amongst mates or someone identifying you it's fine? So this situation with the ref yes he was identifying him but it was a negative situation. If it was to pick out one of the white men in the group would he have said "the white guy"? Or in a postive situation would he had said "the black guy"? I think you forgot that "non white" people have often been the subject of racial slurs and bigotry in history and even in current times, more so than a Caucasian. If say you were over weight because of an issue you had in your life and not your fault and everyone kept teasing you as a child/teenager about your weight and even in adulthood and then one time someone did it "just to identify you" - how would you feel? Would you be like oh its fine he's just identifying me or would you be like "I'm so fed up of this shiyte"? 

All I'm saying is that it's easy to be dismissive when you've not faced it (yes an assumption) but even if you have I guarantee its no where near as much as the "non white guy" 

Edited by hejammy

Apologies if anyone felt I was standing up for a racist last night.

Rest assured I will speak with the diversity and equalities team at work at some point to get a refresher on acceptable terms. I wasn’t being ignorant as someone accused, I honestly thought describing someone as b...k was not disrespectful.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He probably isn't tbh. If anyone can even tell you his name now I'd be surprised but they definitely wouldn't by next week. 

He'll have to go on some token sensitivity training and that's about it. 

I don't think anyone's realistically calling him the world's most racist man. But clearly if UEFA and FIFA want to try and combat racism in the sport then they can't ignore a complaint about an official using entirely unnecessary racial qualifiers and "but it's fine in my language!" just isn't an excuse. 

Yeah it probably isn't a massive deal to the average guy in the street but they aren't the average guy in the street, they're officials on the world stage that are meant to be setting an example. 

The whole thing will blow over in a few days and the upshot is that, moving forward, officials will be more thoughtful about choosing their words which, I'm sorry, that's just not a bad thing on any level. 

It's only a big deal if you're an attention seeking muppet on social media that wants to try and pretend that either all of football is the most racist thing ever and this is further proof OR that "the libs are owning our free speech amagad!!" 

29 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It does seem ridiculous that its been blown up like this, not agreeing with the use of it but its clear there was no racial intent there.

I'm sorry but how are you able to see there is no clear racial intent? Again I ask the question (same as Demba Ba) do you think he would have said "the white guy" if the red card was for one of the other staff members? I have a feeling not....so although it's not racist in the classical obnoxious sense, there are some racist undertones in his action. The sad thing is that people (generally speaking those who have not really had any racism effecting them) see this as "ridiculous" or being blown out of proportion, and this is why racism in varying forms still exists in 2020 

3 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I'm sorry but how are you able to see there is no clear racial intent? Again I ask the question (same as Demba Ba) do you think he would have said "the white guy" if the red card was for one of the other staff members? I have a feeling not....so although it's not racist in the classical obnoxious sense, there are some racist undertones in his action. The sad thing is that people (generally speaking those who have not really had any racism effecting them) see this as "ridiculous" or being blown out of proportion, and this is why racism in varying forms still exists in 2020 

He was identifying the only black player on the bench, i dont agree with him referring to him just because of his race but its clear theres no racist undertones there. It was just a silly thing to do especially in todays society.