Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

I have to say the way the club handled his contract situation was disastrous.

He was deemed important enough so that even though he was running down his contract the club did not sell him last summer. Now he is leaving on a free.

If it was a gamble, it certainly did not pay off. Not only are we relegated, I think Tielemans has been particularly poor the whole season. To allow him to run his contract down, we gained nothing. It may have been worth it if he helped us get into a CL spot, instead of relegation.

Worst of all, his situation encouraged other players to follow his lead. To have 7 players out of contract this summer is crazy considering the amount of money involved.

I think Tielemans has a lot to answer for in terms of our relegation.  Poor decisions were made at the top. Rudkin. 

People keep saying this, but no one ever made a bid for him. You can’t sell players no one wants 

5 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Didn’t Arsenal make a bid of 30m? That is what I thought anyway 

Nah.

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Apparently that's what we were holding out for. Arsenal didn't want to go that high and baulked.

That’s just a random Twitter guy now though. There was always rumours of Tielemans going last summer but there was never any serious indication at all Arsenal were really interested 

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

I have to say the way the club handled his contract situation was disastrous.

He was deemed important enough so that even though he was running down his contract the club did not sell him last summer. Now he is leaving on a free.

If it was a gamble, it certainly did not pay off. Not only are we relegated, I think Tielemans has been particularly poor the whole season. To allow him to run his contract down, we gained nothing. It may have been worth it if he helped us get into a CL spot, instead of relegation.

Worst of all, his situation encouraged other players to follow his lead. To have 7 players out of contract this summer is crazy considering the amount of money involved.

I think Tielemans has a lot to answer for in terms of our relegation.  Poor decisions were made at the top. Rudkin. 

...we indulged him, Rodgers was constantly fawning over him, we gave him the armband and accepted him signing a 4-year contract!!!

Tielemans knew exactly what he was doing from the start. We could not sell him as it was down to him to accept another club's offer, and the large signing-on fee for his next club would have been scuppered.

I said that we should try to force Arsenal's hand by setting a deadline, where they either buy him now or we retain his signature and look to the rest of the season, as there are other players in this club who needed to know what our plans were for the team.

There is no need for abuse, he encountered the same at Monaco (so probably use to it) but I cannot agree that it is ever called for. For those querying where he will end up, Your will do what is in the best interest of Youri, he has it all figured out.

9 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Apparently that's what we were holding out for. Arsenal didn't want to go that high and baulked.

...there was talk at the time of keeping him versus letting him go for £20m being a better idea for the rest of the season!!!

With the way he had been playing, even picking up £15m for him at the time would have been a better return. His form was never there to aid us this season and if it was a genuine offer from Arsenal we should have taken it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nathan. said:

If somehow Youri stays it would be because of pure desperation from the player and the club.

Get him gone and off the wage bill.

He's literally said his goodbyes (or farewells, as he puts it). And his contract is up.

How would he stay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Sampson said:

People keep saying this, but no one ever made a bid for him. You can’t sell players no one wants 

Er……..Vestergaard??

6 minutes ago, nathan. said:

How the **** was Youri captain?

A player wanting out for years was made captain.

Evans.

Tielemans.

Ndidi.

Vardy.

Albrighton.

Maddison.

Bar Vardy, who out of that list actually wanted to be here? 

To have alternated the armband six times, amongst players who don't want to be here and/or have already checked out, don't you think there was a clear problem? (amongst many)

• Like 1

He's been gone since the FA cup final really. Which puts him in our history. The club should have taken the money instead of him staying and running down his contract. Let's face it. If a player is down towards the end of their contract they are hardly going to want to risk serious injury by putting their body on the line and missing out on a huge contract with a massive signing on fee that sets them up for life. Why Rodgers would think it a good idea to make a player in that position captain is beyond me. 

• Like 1

It could be argued Tielemans left the club about 7 months ago. 

The guy didn’t look bothered. Tracked back reluctantly like a fat kid running a lap during PE class. Indifference. Going into challenges with about as much tenacity as a pensioner waiting for a knee replacement. 

He only showed up when it was easy. It was like watching a bloated Diego Maradona making Hollywood passes on a beach tournament inbetween slurps of methadone. 

If it wasn’t for the FA Cup goal, and a couple of seasons of tremendous form, I would’ve benched him. 

My memory of a year ago was that Arsenal constantly flirted with the idea of making a bid for Tielemans but never followed through with it leaving Leicester and Tielemans in limbo.

As far as I'm aware we never had the luxury of turning down a bid for Tielemans.