Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Having said this, while I am not his biggest fan, he is a good player to have in our team. It is just that some of us don’t understand why he gets in ahead of others who are better or deserve to be there more and as a result we are questioning Rodgers and the coaching staff. The fact that he is allowed to continue to take corners despite being consistently poor at them is an indicia of the problem - is there some kind of hidden agenda to get his value up in anticipation of a sale even though it is costing the team in terms of performance?

this is up there with virus and 5g

Edited by nnickn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Truth be told, other than his horrible free kicks and corners he had a pretty decent game. Every one focuses on his corners but his overall game was decent. It seems that shitting on Madisson has become the new favourite pastime here.

I do agree though that he has improved his game a bit and it seems he is taking on board some of the criticisms leveled at him which was pleasing to see:

- he handed over to Fuchs to take a long freekick from the left (a right call as Fuchs is much better from there)

- a few times after he fell to the floor he did still try to scoop the ball back to his teammates rather than just throw his hands up in protest

- he did try to spend less time on the ball then just twisting or turning

Despite being one of his critics, that was pleasing to see.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

One of those weird games. He did everything wrong... except for setting up the injury time winner lol 

That's the thing with Maddison though. He might be trying a lot of things and not succeeding but he has the ability to make that one pass/cross/shot and it changes the game. A little like Mahrez but in a different way. He could be awful for 90 minutes but then still have that one bit of magic in his pocket.

His set pieces are generally average but every now and then he shows what he can do. Once he gets proper match fit, and I am talking a good string of 90 min games under his belt, I am sure he will improve again. He is one of the few creative players we have.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2020 at 08:28, st albans fox said:

That’s an interesting observation.....I noticed recently that he looked quicker than I had thought he was .....  still too ineffective over a game though ...

I think he looked quicker too in those cameos vs Arsenal, Leeds and a few games in Europe. In the past he's been very workmanlike when trying to accelerate but I think its more what he's thinking about what he wants to do with the ball than a real lack of pace.

2 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

That's the thing with Maddison though. He might be trying a lot of things and not succeeding but he has the ability to make that one pass/cross/shot and it changes the game. A little like Mahrez but in a different way. He could be awful for 90 minutes but then still have that one bit of magic in his pocket.

His set pieces are generally average but every now and then he shows what he can do. Once he gets proper match fit, and I am talking a good string of 90 min games under his belt, I am sure he will improve again. He is one of the few creative players we have.

As he said in that post match interview, he will try things which don't work, but if he doesn't try them then that doesn't happen.  Sometimes teams will frustrate us.  We notice it more when he is our only outlet I think.  With Barnes or Under on it is less obvious.

I don’t think with Maddison it’s been a case of trying too many eye of the needle passes, more the opposite if anything. You don’t have only one open play assist for over a year if that is the case. Hopefully he really kicks on now because he’s a talented player it’s a matter of how effectively he uses that talent.

• Like 1

I think the issue is that he comes far too deep. He’s at his best on the 18 yard line getting shots off and playing little slip balls to Vardy. Time after time he ends up a metre or two away from our CM’s which takes their (especially Youri) ability to play defence splitting passes as all they are doing is popping it off to Madders.

He needs to decide whether he wants to be an out and out centre mid and play deeper or be a 10 and play closer to Vardy. At the moment it’s neither and it’s really hurting our speed of play.

Perez is nowhere near as talented as James, but when he plays as that number 10 he is much more of a goal threat.

3 minutes ago, eddylcfc said:

I think the issue is that he comes far too deep. He’s at his best on the 18 yard line getting shots off and playing little slip balls to Vardy. Time after time he ends up a metre or two away from our CM’s which takes their (especially Youri) ability to play defence splitting passes as all they are doing is popping it off to Madders.

He needs to decide whether he wants to be an out and out centre mid and play deeper or be a 10 and play closer to Vardy. At the moment it’s neither and it’s really hurting our speed of play.

Perez is nowhere near as talented as James, but when he plays as that number 10 he is much more of a goal threat.

A lot of him coming deeper is probably to do with the fact that the midfield offer him very little, so he has to come back to start his attack. Not ideal but at least he is doing it. The good thing is that he can break through a few players from CM to open an attack.

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

As he said in that post match interview, he will try things which don't work, but if he doesn't try them then that doesn't happen.  Sometimes teams will frustrate us.  We notice it more when he is our only outlet I think.  With Barnes or Under on it is less obvious.

Absolutely, and I would much rather have someone on the pitch who will try things than one who just sits in control of the ball too scared and constantly passing side and backwards (not a criticism of this being done but a criticism of it being done constantly due to being scared). That's why I like Barnes in particular, he has no fear, he can't finish to save his life but does it stop him? No. He still beats that man, makes something happen and he still looks for a finish when in position.

I do feel we need to set up with both Barnes and Under alongside Maddison (or at least one of them). Recent formations have been a little frustrating as they have looked too defensive for teams we should be putting under pressure.

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

One of those players, a bit like our manager that its very easy for fans to jump on their back. Vardy had a shocking game yesterday in the sense that everything he tried just went wrong, the ball hitting him on the back that would have been a 1 on 1 for another player if it didn't, running the ball out of play in a phase of play where we had them stretched etc. But he is our match winner and will always be a threat, see Braga away. Yet in both of those games it's the vision and pass/cross from Maddison that creates a goal and yet the overriding opinion is he was a disgrace because his set pieces were yet again poor for anyone supposedly so gifted at them.

I like Maddison, feels a bit of a luxury player at times but the real quality that he brings almost gets forgotten. Needs a goal in the league again, I feel ones coming. 

I didn't thnk he was great yesterday and I think he's got a bit to go to return to the peak Maddison we've seen in the past but he was far from a disgrace. In fact I've not seen any Leicester players turn in a performance that was a disgrace this season. If people really want see a disgraceful performance just tune into some of Celtic's perfomances this season, that's a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Theres no denying that Maddison has real quality however his inconsistency is a massive issue and he often goes missing.

He's good, but I can't see him ever featuring for England to any significance - I'd swap him for Grealish in a flash.

Maddison is a class player who is in a bit of a poor run of form. Even in that poor run of form he creates game changing moments v Braga and Sheff Utd. We are lucky to have him and trust me if/when he leaves us it will be to one of the top sides. Enjoy him - he is a genuinely talented match winning player. Frustrating? Absolutely - like all creative players he can frustrate. His set pieces have not been up to scratch and his shooting is off at the moment.

One thing I find funny is how the fans demand loyalty from players yet are happy to turn on loyal players as soon as their form dips.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

One thing I find funny is how the fans demand loyalty from players yet are happy to turn on loyal players as soon as their form dips.

In my experience people point the finger regarding hypocrisy when they themselves are culpable of hypocrisy. I think this sort of thing is fairly common, psychologically.

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

In my experience people point the finger regarding hypocrisy when they themselves are culpable of hypocrisy. I think this sort of thing is fairly common, psychologically.

I don’t recall saying I wasn’t hypocritical? I just made an observation regarding how fans behave.

• Haha 1

Love this guy and one of his biggest fans, but to chalk off a loss to Fulham and Zorya as ‘that’s football’ in that interview was poor IMO. 

If he wants to step up past us or with us he’s going to need to be more ruthless. 

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Love this guy and one of his biggest fans, but to chalk off a loss to Fulham and Zorya as ‘that’s football’ in that interview was poor IMO. 

If he wants to step up past us or with us he’s going to need to be more ruthless. 

Would it have been more acceptable to you if he'd said 'you cannot win 'em all'?