Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Just now, Steve Earle said:

Not 100% fit, poor today, set pieces really stink, but he’ll come good.

Can’t understand the over the top criticism here?

For me, he doesn't do it enough. How many goals/assists did he manage last season? He's supposed to be our main attacking/creative midfielder.

• Like 2

Set pieces he was poor and needs to be taken off them, but he's good at keeping the ball and attracting players to him and creating space for others. You do have to accept that players like him will lose the ball as they operate in tight areas but they create space for others and openings. 

• Like 4

also as a Championship player you should be able to shoot cornerkicks and freekicks. Unfortunately our little mini-Beckham cannot do this. And also his great pass for Jamie doesn't make it any better. He is useless. Nobody needs to compare him with Grealish anymore. Unfortunately Grealish is better by classes and I really can't stand this diver at all...

Just now, Steve Earle said:

Fair enough. Perhaps De Bruyne or Fernandes would be more to your liking?

Traore, Barnes (here of course), Buendia, Digne (a left back) all got more assists than Maddison last season, and one of them played in a relegated side, so you can try being sarcastic all you like.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

For me, he doesn't do it enough. How many goals/assists did he manage last season? He's supposed to be our main attacking/creative midfielder.

A few,  People forget the "Movement" or Secondary assists...

in Maddison, what proves his his quality, is that last minute  win the 2nd ball and be aware to make that assist...

Edited by fuchsntf

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Traore, Barnes (here of course), Buendia, Digne (a left back) all got more assists than Maddison last season, and one of them played in a relegated side, so you can try being sarcastic all you like.

I’d take Maddison over all those. 

And I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic. I was being sarcastic.

Wouldn’t have minded Buendia this summer. We do need more competition for Madders and the midfield,

Edited by Steve Earle

2 hours ago, mucfox said:

also as a Championship player you should be able to shoot cornerkicks and freekicks. Unfortunately our little mini-Beckham cannot do this. And also his great pass for Jamie doesn't make it any better. He is useless. Nobody needs to compare him with Grealish anymore. Unfortunately Grealish is better by classes and I really can't stand this diver at all...

Over the top reaction.

I think most people agree that he has the potential, but at this moment in time I feel he's more of a hindrance than good for the team. I'll be honest his lack of first touch, his unwillingness to work hard on and off the ball, his moaning, his diving (yes he dives and the "penalty" shout was a disgrace) and last but not least his set peices all need improving and quick. I believe he needs some time out of the team to reflect/reset or whatever. 

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Take. Him. Off. Set. Pieces. 

With our lineup today, I'd have Albrighton and / or Fuchs take them, at least on corners as both are excellent crossers of the ball. I think the bigger issue is neither of those are first team players so among the first team it's either TIelemans or Maddison that takes the corners and neither are much good at them. If Under plays, he could also take them, but we are in an odd position where we don't have a good corner taker despite having the strongest squad we've ever had. Maybe Ricardo could take them when he returns to the team?

In the meantime someone needs to make him stay back for an hour after training every day practicing his delivery. We are moving to the new training center this week, so no excuses Madders!

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

With our lineup today, I'd have Albrighton and / or Fuchs take them, at least on corners as both are excellent crossers of the ball. I think the bigger issue is neither of those are first team players so among the first team it's either TIelemans or Maddison that takes the corners and neither are much good at them. If Under plays, he could also take them, but we are in an odd position where we don't have a good corner taker despite having the strongest squad we've ever had. Maybe Ricardo could take them when he returns to the team?

In the meantime someone needs to make him stay back for an hour after training every day practicing his delivery. We are moving to the new training center this week, so no excuses Madders!

There can’t be anyone, surely, who thinks the problem is lack of practice?!? He’ll take hundreds of dead balls a week in training, for sure.

And then produces cack on match days.

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

There can’t be anyone, surely, who thinks the problem is lack of practice?!? He’ll take hundreds of dead balls a week in training, for sure.

And then produces cack on match days.

You would think he does practice them hundreds of times a week, but with delivery that poor I'm not so sure.

I know that he practices his free kicks a lot, but possibly not as much with his corners. From a technique point of view, hitting a free kick into the top right hand corner is very similar technique in terms of putting in a cross / corner as you use the same part of your foot, so it's hard to understand why his delivery is so consistently poor. Maybe he's trying to execute a harder type of delivery and gets it wrong? It's hard to understand how they can be so poor because he's such a good technical player and he can produce under pressure in the match, as shown with his ball through to Vardy for the winner.

I genuinely don't know what his issue is, but it's not like it's a one-off, his delivery has been poor for a long time. Free-Kicks I don't mind so much if they go wrong when shooting, but we used to get 10 goals a season from corners during the MON era, but we don't score them at all these days. We don't have many tall players but we do have Evans and Fofana and we rarely find them from our corners.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I genuinely don't know what his issue is, but it's not like it's a one-off, his delivery has been poor for a long time. Free-Kicks I don't mind so much if they go wrong when shooting, but we used to get 10 goals a season from corners during the MON era, but we don't score them at all these days. We don't have many tall players but we do have Evans and Fofana and we rarely find them from our corners.

I expect he's just in a rut. Habits can be easy to acquire and difficult to shake.

• Like 1