Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes. He was fine. Nothing amazing. Certainly not as shit as some make out. Like I say, people love to overcriticise because they're so consumed in wanting extremes in their life. Either something has to be absolutely amazing, and if it's not, it's shit. Why can't something just be alright or decent? Yes Maddison could do better but people make out like he's the second coming of [insert shit midfielder from 00s].

Oh and he got the assist for Barnes. Is that not creating anything? Took some good corners for once as well. 

Why the anger? That rant about over-criticism and extremes sounds a tad hypocritical, to say the least.

Why not just accept that today you are in the minority?

Maddison is a very good footballer but today he was sub-standard. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to suggest that if he had played to the level we know he can - and to the level of most of his teammates this afternoon - we might well have won that game.

I think that’s the point - born of frustration - that many are making.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Why the anger? That rant about over-criticism and extremes sounds a tad hypocritical, to say the least.

Why not just accept that today you are in the minority?

Maddison is a very good footballer but today he was sub-standard. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to suggest that if he had played to the level we know he can - and to the level of most of his teammates this afternoon - we might well have won that game.

I think that’s the point - born of frustration - that many are making.

Because its frustrating seeing this kind of thing every week when it's not true. 

A lot of fans make out like he's not good enough or under performing each week. Again, this isn't true. There were worse players out today but again, too many focus on the negative. I think we were good value for the draw and we've not not won this because Maddison didn't play well. He played fine. I've seen people say he was awful. This is untrue in my opinion. 

• Like 3

Guest Hansifüx

I think one of the reasons for maddison playing "bad" today was that vardy was well marked and not part of the game and there was no one making offence runs on he right.    

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Because its frustrating seeing this kind of thing every week when it's not true. 

A lot of fans make out like he's not good enough or under performing each week. Again, this isn't true. There were worse players out today but again, too many focus on the negative. I think we were good value for the draw and we've not not won this because Maddison didn't play well. He played fine. I've seen people say he was awful. This is untrue in my opinion. 

We all have our own take on every game - and that’s what a forum is for, as a melting pot for different viewpoints - but if you have a look at the match ratings for this game (as opposed to, say, the Brighton game), you might care to acknowledge that most people disagree with you about Maddison’s display today.

2 minutes ago, Hammo said:

We all have our own take on every game - and that’s what a forum is for, as a melting pot for different viewpoints - but if you have a look at the match ratings for this game (as opposed to, say, the Brighton game), you might care to acknowledge that most people disagree with you about Maddison’s display today.

I'm not denying this is what a forum for. As much as people have their opinion, I'm also allowed my opinion on that or Maddison or any player  :dunno:.

Oh in that case, I might as well just go with the majority then. Somewhat hypocritical to say there's a melting pot of viewpoints then say that I'm wrong for having my own viewpoint just cos it's against a perceived majority. I don't think I'm alone in what I'm saying. My main point is that fans are far too over-critical when it comes to our players. It's not just confined to Maddison. 

43 minutes ago, martyn said:

Think some of the frustration with Maddison is that he is seen, rightly or wrongly, as being our difference maker, especially as whilst he was having a limited impact on the game, the opposition equivalent Bruno Fernandes was increasingly influential.

Possibly that's not fair, as Fernandes is a long way ahead of Madders, but the difference in quality and consistency is plain to see.

On the other hand, as part of the process of making such an impact Fernandez committed about 5 bookable fouls and should have been off the field well before he scored.  Maybe the lesson is that Madders is too nice.  I agree, though, that he didn't impose himself on the game.

25 minutes ago, Hammo said:

It doesn't take much for a sizeable number of people to mark Maddison down.

Assist vs Braga, assist vs Sheff Utd, brace vs Brighton, an exquisite goal chalked off vs Spurs and an assist today. Whatever he is, he is starting to turn it up again in end product. He comes with a synopsis that often outweighs what any talented player can bring but he's ours and he's a fcukin good player. Slowly getting back to the 2019 Maddison of Rodgers reign where he was top drawer. Be careful what you wish for, players like him are easily marginalised but not easily replaced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I'm not denying this is what a forum for. As much as people have their opinion, I'm also allowed my opinion on that or Maddison or any player  :dunno:.

Oh in that case, I might as well just go with the majority then. Somewhat hypocritical to say there's a melting pot of viewpoints then say that I'm wrong for having my own viewpoint just cos it's against a perceived majority. I don't think I'm alone in what I'm saying. My main point is that fans are far too over-critical when it comes to our players. It's not just confined to Maddison. 

Please point out where I said that having your own viewpoint was ‘wrong’.

All I am suggesting is that instead of ranting at people whose opinions differ from yours, you might want to magnanimously acknowledge that most other supporters saw Maddison’s performance today in a very different light.

But if that is asking too much, then fine. Merry Christmas to you.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Who was worse than him? The only one remotely close to his lack of performance was Albrighton. 

He was just bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Assist vs Braga, assist vs Sheff Utd, brace vs Brighton, an exquisite goal chalked off vs Spurs and an assist today. Whatever he is, he is starting to turn it up again in end product. He comes with a synopsis that often outweighs what any talented player can bring but he's ours and he's a fcukin good player. Slowly getting back to the 2019 Maddison of Rodgers reign where he was top drawer. Be careful what you wish for, players like him are easily marginalised but not easily replaced. 

Actually chalking that up as an assist today is almost as embarrassing as Glen Hoddle desperately not wanting to say rat face didn’t mean his toe poke to nowhere. 

Stats don’t tell the full story so they. A square ball to a man in acres of space who smashed one is from long distance.

Maddison can be very good, today he just wasn’t at the races. 

Just now, Babylon said:

Actually chalking that up as an assist today is almost as embarrassing as Glen Hoddle desperately not wanting to say rat face didn’t mean his toe poke to nowhere. 

Stats don’t tell the full story so they. A square ball to a man in acres of space who smashed one is from long distance.

Of course, a mere stat on its own is often ridiculous but he has been hammered the majority of 2020 for no longer bringing the creativity and goals he had previously shown. However, he is now stepping that up. I was more impressed with his touch and finish last week that didn't count than of a few goals he's scored that did count but the point is, he is getting a bit of form but he still gets dogs abuse off a proportion of our fan base. He was fairly mediocre today but not as bad as some are making out.

• Like 2

He was poor today, but Rodgers persists with him because he is a match winner on his day. He struck that magnificent goal against Brighton and was so unlucky to have a goal chalked off against Spurs. There isn't another player in the squad that has the X-factor like he has, and we haven't had someone that could do that since Mahrez left. I remember a game last season where Vardy was having a nightmare and Rodgers hooked Nacho off instead, but then Vardy got two goals including his 100th Premier League goal. Sometimes you have to persevere with you best players, to get them back up to top form.

I do agree he should have been subbed off, especially as Perez did well coming on, and I felt like Praet could have done a good job at the end. But at the same time I understand why our manager kept him on. At the end of the day we still drew the game and did well, so I am not too displeased.

For Maddison, his class is undeniable. He is still a young player and thus massively inconsistent. He's at a club like Leicester to get lots of game time to see if he can to the next level, and he's already shown way more than many other players we've had down the years.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Think about your reaction if he didn't pass it to Barnes or turned around and went backwards (something he gets overly criticised for in my humble opinions). You'd be screaming for him to play it to Barnes in space. Seems like he can't win :dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hansifüx said:

I think one of the reasons for maddison playing "bad" today was that vardy was well marked and not part of the game and there was no one making offence runs on he right.    

He played bad because he was just not very good on the day. I don’t know why people are desperate to make excuses for bad performances.

It’s not the end of the world, everyone can play shit. Next week it will be someone else who has a stinker.

No matter how many runs were being made. His basics on the day were just off. Lots of touches that took the ball to the wrong side and made it easy for the oppo to make a challenge, lots of misplaced passes.

People made excuses saying he was marked tightly. Yeah he was, but Tielemans had to deal with plenty of that also and he was fantastic today working in tight spaces, making himself room with the right sort of touch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Ditto..I reckon he had a reasonable game. So you are not alone..:cheers:...a 2 pint minority...or the quiet majority,that see no gain in Chasing down Single players

every move...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Please point out where I said that having your own viewpoint was ‘wrong’.

All I am suggesting is that instead of ranting at people whose opinions differ from yours, you might want to magnanimously acknowledge that most other supporters saw Maddison’s performance today in a very different light.

But if that is asking too much, then fine. Merry Christmas to you.

But I do acknowledge they see his performance in a different light. I don't begrudge them for having that opinion. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it? 

For me (opinion), it just seems like he has to have a worldie of a game, 10/10 assists and goals every single match in all competitions in the season to garner any sort of praise or credit. 

He's a talented player but I think sometimes he needs to be given some slack. I've already said he could have done better today so I'm not making out like it was a world class performance either, just that it wasn't as bad as some people make out. And, just like I am happy to acknowledge for others, that is my opinion and I'll stand by it :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Of course, a mere stat on its own is often ridiculous but he has been hammered the majority of 2020 for no longer bringing the creativity and goals he had previously shown. However, he is now stepping that up. I was more impressed with his touch and finish last week that didn't count than of a few goals he's scored that did count but the point is, he is getting a bit of form but he still gets dogs abuse off a proportion of our fan base. He was fairly mediocre today but not as bad as some are making out.

Well he didn’t get it much off me. I’ll just say if I think someone has had a crap game. Not a chance he walks off that pitch happy with his performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He suffers in the Grealish comparison (which wasn't his doing). He's frustrated me since he joined with his constant slowing down of play and going to ground too easily but I think generally he's had a good season. You could even include that superb touch and pass for Under to set Vardy up at Leeds.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He was poor today, but Rodgers persists with him because he is a match winner on his day. He struck that magnificent goal against Brighton and was so unlucky to have a goal chalked off against Spurs. There isn't another player in the squad that has the X-factor like he has, and we haven't had someone that could do that since Mahrez left. I remember a game last season where Vardy was having a nightmare and Rodgers hooked Nacho off instead, but then Vardy got two goals including his 100th Premier League goal. Sometimes you have to persevere with you best players, to get them back up to top form.

I do agree he should have been subbed off, especially as Perez did well coming on, and I felt like Praet could have done a good job at the end. But at the same time I understand why our manager kept him on. At the end of the day we still drew the game and did well, so I am not too displeased.

For Maddison, his class is undeniable. He is still a young player and thus massively inconsistent. He's at a club like Leicester to get lots of game time to see if he can to the next level, and he's already shown way more than many other players we've had down the years.

That game was imo Vardys worst game he’s ever has for us. He was absolutely shocking until he scored then his confidence came flooding back.

The game after Vs Arsenal then the one after that Vs Sheffield Utd were then 2 quality performances from him.

Shows what confidence can do to a player, same with Madders. He’ll come good, he has quality that no other player has.

Edited by deanolegend1989
  • Like 1