Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

The joy of having such a good squad now, is that we have options. If all are injury free. I like Madders when his mojo is on. But when it's not (bit like Barnes at times), Brendan needs to use another option i.e. bring Perez or Under on. Madders can drift out and fail to influence things. In these instances I want Brendan to be assertive and make the early substitution. Not let him coast around the park pirouetting over & over again.

• Like 3

Maddison will always give the ball away more than most in our team because he tries more attacking balls than anyone else which is his role in the team. 

I think he starts to negate himself when he drops too deep and him and Youri get in each others way. He just needs to stay in that pocket between the midfield and attack which is where he can cause so much damage. 

We are a better team with him than without him.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

You always talk sense @StriderHiryu though I think to some (or at least to me) he does not have any more of the “X” factor than some others we have. I saw this “poor” performance coming before the match because this match is not for him and he is not as great as some think he is (he is not Vardy level) - this is the real issue. He is no where near Bruno level (this was plain to see during the match) and with Bruno in the middle on the other side and especially after Pogba came on, our central midfield was overrun. We had nothing much from Maddison before Pogba was introduced anyway and many of our good moves stopped because we did not connect well with the “Maddison” position (eg. the ball had to be kept to the right during good buildup when a good option near the middle for the extra pass would have helped open up Man U defence which was shaky at best). Yes he had a lot of attention (but this never stopped Mahrez doing the basics right) and this is why I felt we had better options to get around this: Praet would have helped with his better runs (and Praet is quicker); Under would have helped with his cutting inside from the right; Perez would have done a better job in that no. 10 role as he is better in tighter spaces, has a faster release (Maddison would have taken an extra touch in Perez’s position for that assist to Vardy and he would have hit the first Man U player) and he has played well in recent games. So what is perplexing is that while all these other players can and need to sit on the bench (or maybe even be dropped off the team), what is so special about Maddison that even when he is not playing well he does not get subbed out? Perez scored a goal and played well the other day but he needed to make way after 60 mins? This is the real issue - why does he get special treatment when (at least for me) he is not better than others and others can offer more in certain games? He was not only not in the game, he had so many misplaced passes (and he turned a few times without knowing where the ball was and lost it). He was having an off day, but unlike others, he gets special treatment (this is the same with Chilwell before) - I think he has potential and I think in time he will be better, so this is really against Rodgers but rightly or wrongly Maddison is getting some stick because of this (I don’t like how some of the comments have turned personal too). At the end of the day, I am just disappointed because I really feel that we could have beaten Man U if we had Praet or Perez playing instead of Maddison but because of the special treatment the team had to carry him and drew (luckily).

...sometimes a manager believes that with a player like Maddison on the pitch, one moment of class  will give us the goal to win the game!!!

This kind of thinking puts the manager between a rock and a hard place. Damned if he subs him out or damned if he keeps him on the pitch. A tough call but all through the game he just was not firing and there were much better options on the bench.

There are times when you have to be ruthless but the team spirit of this team perhaps does not lend itself to the mantra of win at all cost.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...sometimes a manager believes that with a player like Maddison on the pith, one moment of class  will give us the goal to win the game!!!

This kind of thinking puts the manager between a rock and a hard place. Damned if he subs him out or damned if he keeps him on the pitch. A tough call but all through the game he just was not firing and there were much better options on the bench.

There are times when you have to be ruthless but the team spirit of this team perhaps does not lend itself to the mantra of win at all cost.

I should thertainly hope that he's not on the pith, I know it's Christmath and we all like a drink but he's a professional and shouldn't be touching a drop. 

• Haha 2

Personally I think he's just being marked by several opposition players all the way through games at the moment.

Gives the impression that his touch is letting him down but I'm not so sure he's actually playing worse. 

We still look a better team with him in the side and tend to play higher up the pitch. I think he's the kind of player whose presence elevates the players around him and I love players like that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

Personally I think he's just being marked by several opposition players all the way through games at the moment.

Gives the impression that his touch is letting him down but I'm not so sure he's actually playing worse. 

We still look a better team with him in the side and tend to play higher up the pitch. I think he's the kind of player whose presence elevates the players around him and I love players like that. 

Those are good points. I just hope he's not what is described in sport as a 'flat track bully'. Peerless with space & time against weak teams. Anonymous when the going gets tough. 

The mark of a top player is how they ensure they are never truly  anonymous. 

21 hours ago, StanSP said:

Yes. He was fine. Nothing amazing. Certainly not as shit as some make out. Like I say, people love to overcriticise because they're so consumed in wanting extremes in their life. Either something has to be absolutely amazing, and if it's not, it's shit. Why can't something just be alright or decent? Yes Maddison could do better but people make out like he's the second coming of [insert shit midfielder from 00s].

Oh and he got the assist for Barnes. Is that not creating anything? Took some good corners for once as well. 

I think, ironically, you're pointing the finger at yourself a but here mate. Why can't someone not have a good game, be subbed and try something different? Doesn't mean he's getting bagged does it? That's why we've got a squad. 

21 hours ago, sheffield_fox said:

Normally that’s the case for when he has a quiet game but he got the ball in a lot of good positions this game and his passing was really poor when usually it’s his strongest trait.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Stats have been much better this season, on 8 goals and assists already, he only got 9 in the whole of last season.

Quietly having a good season…. He seems to be the go to person for pundits to heap praise on, but, he’s actually deserving it at the moment….

He’s proving to be very effective 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And he missed first few games this season didn't he? 

3 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Quietly having a good season…. He seems to be the go to person for pundits to heap praise on, but, he’s actually deserving it at the moment….

He’s proving to be very effective 

975 minutes so far this season vs. 2628 minutes last season.

Emphasises the difference really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majaco said:

We are a more creative, more exciting team with Maddison playing.  I don't understand the negativity some on here show towards him.

I think it's more frustration than negativity. We all know what he's capable of and just want to see him at his brilliant best on a regular basis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

Elite performance again, the fact he is adding goals now is great to see. His corners today were very good as well 

I thought he was very poor first half, gave the ball away and looked leggy, second half he was a lot better.

For me this season he’s not quite been at it, whether he’s still carrying a knock I don’t know, but I feel he can improve a hell of a lot more.

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Just seen his post match interview on lcfc YouTube  channel. Sttodnin the p1ssing rain giving the interview 

I love him to bits. He's so honest, aware and his description of what goes on in a player's mind (and what they observe on the pitch) is really interesting 

Certainly gives a lot more thought in his interviews than a lot of other players. It’s quite nice to see instead of the scripted stuff. 

• Like 1