Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

4 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

That game was imo Vardys worst game he’s ever has for us. He was absolutely shocking until he scored then his confidence came flooding back.

The game after Vs Arsenal then the one after that Vs Sheffield Utd were then 2 quality performances from him.

Shows what confidence can do to a player, same with Madders. He’ll come good, he has quality that no other player has.

You could tell the 100th goal was a real monkey on his back! Kind of funny when you think about it because when he broke Van Nistelrooy's record, it was like it was child's play for Vardy! Though to be fair his reaction after scoring it showed he really did care about it lol

I agree about your point on Maddison's quality, he can do things that no other member in the entire squad can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

He played bad because he was just not very good on the day. I don’t know why people are desperate to make excuses for bad performances.

It’s not the end of the world, everyone can play shit. Next week it will be someone else who has a stinker.

No matter how many runs were being made. His basics on the day were just off. Lots of touches that took the ball to the wrong side and made it easy for the oppo to make a challenge, lots of misplaced passes.

People made excuses saying he was marked tightly. Yeah he was, but Tielemans had to deal with plenty of that also and he was fantastic today working in tight spaces, making himself room with the right sort of touch. 

There’s a school of thought that people are desperate to be a downer on Maddison. I think the opposite is true - we all want him to be the player he threatens to be but over the last 12 months - through injury and poor form - we haven’t seen it very often. 

It’s really come to something when people are defending today’s performance on the basis he made a 5 yard square pass (that I’d guess 95% of posters on the forum could and would have made) to Barnes who then scored a screamer from 25 yards.

He’s had good games and bad games since his return from injury. Today was a bad one, it doesn’t make him a bad player but he should be under pressure for his place on current form.

Just now, ttfn said:

It’s really come to something when people are defending today’s performance on the basis he made a 5 yard square pass (that I’d guess 95% of posters on the forum could and would have made) to Barnes who then scored a screamer from 25 yards.

Just for context on this. I mentioned this specifically because someone said he didn't do anything productive today, his game was full of negative points and that his only highlight was a booking on Fernandes. It's just wrong to criticise to that extent because its quite blatantly wrong. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Just for context on this. I mentioned this specifically because someone said he didn't do anything productive today, his game was full of negative points and that his only highlight was a booking on Fernandes. It's just wrong to criticise to that extent because its quite blatantly wrong. 

You’re not the only one Stan!

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Forgive me for expecting more than someone being able to make a square pass to someone unmarked. 

If Barnes hadn’t smashed it in, would you be even contemplating praising Maddison for the most basic of passes? 

• Like 1

I actually thought he had a decent game today, in a game where two evenly matched midfields tried to cancel each other out, he was always looking to make something happen.

Not all of them came off, but in a tight game that’s exactly what I want Maddison doing. It wasn’t a 10/10 day where everything he does comes off perfectly, but certainly wasn’t a bad performance at all.

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Forgive me for expecting more than someone being able to make a square pass to someone unmarked. 

If Barnes hadn’t smashed it in, would you be even contemplating praising Maddison for the most basic of passes? 

Evens itself out though usually, for every easy assist like today, there's ones like vs Leeds where he opened them up like a tin of beans for Ünder in to Vardy. The key is that, non entity of an assist or not, he is getting goals and assists again after a long period with neither. 

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Well no but I wouldn't be calling him awful either or saying everything about his performance was negative :dunno:

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Of course, a mere stat on its own is often ridiculous but he has been hammered the majority of 2020 for no longer bringing the creativity and goals he had previously shown. However, he is now stepping that up. I was more impressed with his touch and finish last week that didn't count than of a few goals he's scored that did count but the point is, he is getting a bit of form but he still gets dogs abuse off a proportion of our fan base. He was fairly mediocre today but not as bad as some are making out.

...if you read that again, it makes little  sense!!!

Fairly mediocre but not as bad....

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Evens itself out though usually, for every easy assist like today, there's ones like vs Leeds where he opened them up like a tin of beans for Ünder in to Vardy. The key is that, non entity of an assist or not, he is getting goals and assists again after a long period with neither. 

It may, but I’m purely talking about today.

I think for our aspirations of top 6 and maybe sneaking into top 4, we need to  bring in a better, more effective player and I don't think James gets into any of these peers' sides, probably not even back up on this form, if perez is going to.be used.as bit part and praet doesn't have enough flair.for.brendan. Think BR trying to play him into form/confidence but I'm not really sure he's got that calibre consistently.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, majaco said:

I don't;get why some are so keen to slate Maddison.  We are lucky to have him.  He is given freedom to create.  He is a threat.  He makes some mistakes.  

I’d agree, and he’s only going to get better over time too as he learns to find himself a bit more space to work with when midfields work hard to close him down.

49 minutes ago, majaco said:

I don't;get why some are so keen to slate Maddison.  We are lucky to have him.  He is given freedom to create.  He is a threat.  He makes some mistakes.  

Mrs has just shown me a few photos of him with earrings in both ears. Reason enough to slate him. 

He is a risk.

Go back and watch the game again. 

Almost every  ball he gave away created counterattack opportunity and posed a thread for the foxes.

If you are not taking my word, listen the match commentary.

We can't light up the candle's, keep crossing our fingers hoping that he will perform better next game. Today's game requires more than this, today's game requires consistency. Look at the Tielemans. He is the perfect example.

Watch him guys and take a note how many times he's got his hand were on his hips last night . I counted 17 times.

Thirst for creating hero made some fans dead set blind. There is a reason he has been dropped from England squad after the first call.

Edited by kiwiturk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He was poor today, but Rodgers persists with him because he is a match winner on his day. He struck that magnificent goal against Brighton and was so unlucky to have a goal chalked off against Spurs. There isn't another player in the squad that has the X-factor like he has, and we haven't had someone that could do that since Mahrez left. I remember a game last season where Vardy was having a nightmare and Rodgers hooked Nacho off instead, but then Vardy got two goals including his 100th Premier League goal. Sometimes you have to persevere with you best players, to get them back up to top form.

I do agree he should have been subbed off, especially as Perez did well coming on, and I felt like Praet could have done a good job at the end. But at the same time I understand why our manager kept him on. At the end of the day we still drew the game and did well, so I am not too displeased.

For Maddison, his class is undeniable. He is still a young player and thus massively inconsistent. He's at a club like Leicester to get lots of game time to see if he can to the next level, and he's already shown way more than many other players we've had down the years.

You always talk sense @StriderHiryu though I think to some (or at least to me) he does not have any more of the “X” factor than some others we have. I saw this “poor” performance coming before the match because this match is not for him and he is not as great as some think he is (he is not Vardy level) - this is the real issue. He is no where near Bruno level (this was plain to see during the match) and with Bruno in the middle on the other side and especially after Pogba came on, our central midfield was overrun. We had nothing much from Maddison before Pogba was introduced anyway and many of our good moves stopped because we did not connect well with the “Maddison” position (eg. the ball had to be kept to the right during good buildup when a good option near the middle for the extra pass would have helped open up Man U defence which was shaky at best). Yes he had a lot of attention (but this never stopped Mahrez doing the basics right) and this is why I felt we had better options to get around this: Praet would have helped with his better runs (and Praet is quicker); Under would have helped with his cutting inside from the right; Perez would have done a better job in that no. 10 role as he is better in tighter spaces, has a faster release (Maddison would have taken an extra touch in Perez’s position for that assist to Vardy and he would have hit the first Man U player) and he has played well in recent games. So what is perplexing is that while all these other players can and need to sit on the bench (or maybe even be dropped off the team), what is so special about Maddison that even when he is not playing well he does not get subbed out? Perez scored a goal and played well the other day but he needed to make way after 60 mins? This is the real issue - why does he get special treatment when (at least for me) he is not better than others and others can offer more in certain games? He was not only not in the game, he had so many misplaced passes (and he turned a few times without knowing where the ball was and lost it). He was having an off day, but unlike others, he gets special treatment (this is the same with Chilwell before) - I think he has potential and I think in time he will be better, so this is really against Rodgers but rightly or wrongly Maddison is getting some stick because of this (I don’t like how some of the comments have turned personal too). At the end of the day, I am just disappointed because I really feel that we could have beaten Man U if we had Praet or Perez playing instead of Maddison but because of the special treatment the team had to carry him and drew (luckily).

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

There’s a school of thought that people are desperate to be a downer on Maddison. I think the opposite is true - we all want him to be the player he threatens to be but over the last 12 months - through injury and poor form - we haven’t seen it very often. 

He’s had good games and bad games since his return from injury. Today was a bad one, it doesn’t make him a bad player but he should be under pressure for his place on current form.

Agree, especially with the last sentence. This is my point too. His special treatment is perplexing while others in better form or could offer something more in this game had to sit on the bench or could not even make the bench at all. 

• Haha 1

I think we have to accept that he plays in tight spaces, he draws players towards him and there will be a few occasions that he will give it away but without him doing what he does in the spaces between the lines, we become too predictable and very easy to defend against.

His biggest asset imo is that he draws other players out and therefore creates space for others. Exactly what Grealish does for Villa, Firmino for Liverpool, Bruno for United, etc. He's going to lose it as all the above do but if he can get space, more often than not he's in a position to make a pass that sets an attack up or attempt to grab an assist. 

35 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Agree, especially with the last sentence. This is my point too. His special treatment is perplexing while others in better form or could offer something more in this game had to sit on the bench or could not even make the bench at all. 

Tom12345, your analysis is sound. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was a tough game for Maddison today, but the way the billion pound Pulis set his team up didn't help, deploying his double comfort blanket of Fred and McTominay to fill the space in front of the 80 million pound fridge and kick, hack and rugby tackle anything within grabbing range. He'll have better games when we play actual football teams, as opposed to the world's most expensive Crystal Palace tribute band.

Edited by orangecity23
  • Haha 2

The last handful of games showcase Maddison's career in the last year. Brighton - phenomenal, two great strikes and a comfy win. Everton - poor, struggled to impact the game, turgid defeat. Spurs - excellent, lively and involved in some great build up play, unlucky to have a well taken goal chalked. Man Utd - very meh and not the performance we know he's capable of but we get a draw.

He partly struggles because he is most often the player we turn to play those positive passes and he doesn't always get it right, particularly where the opposition are well set-up and manage him individually well (e.g. as Allan and then Doucoure did for Everton). Also like others have alluded to, it's also because we know he's capable of the outrageously spectacular so we want it more regularly. The signs are there that he's getting back to it, particularly in games where he's got into the box in attacks and closer to Vardy generally. We'll get more Brighton & Spurs type Maddison performances this year than the likes of the Man Utd game I think.

The problem with Maddison is that when things aren't going his way he tends to disappear from games altogether, which is something the really good playmakers don't do.  At least not nearly as often as Maddison does.  He does have the ability to do the extraordinary but the gap between he and elite players like Fernandes and Graelish is enormous, and you're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.