Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

What was interesting actually was he said that BR mentioned at half time to get the first pass forward in the transition. We often complain about the team passing sideways or back and often people blame BR but it shows that he notices this too and wants the forward pass to be much quicker. Madders does come across very well in interviews, seems like he reads the game well and does enjoy the game very much. 

I've said it on this thread before, but where Maddison plays on the pitch is in extremely tight areas and under huge pressure.

He's the kind of player that will attract two or three defenders as the opposition are aware of his threat which inevitably opens up the pitch for others if he can find the pass quickly enough. He's a really composed player and his decision making is getting better all the time. 

• Like 2

The main thing that Maddison has added to his game since coming back from injury is getting closer to Vardy and into the box more at the end of attacks. He's capable of outrageous finishes so seeing him getting in and around Vardy - who is a much better creator than he gets credit for alongside his goalscoring exploits - and arriving into the box in attacks has helped his goalscoring number. His first against Brighton and the strike yesterday are good examples of this. Tielemans is the same and also has a good strike on him, his goal vs Leeds and the one yesterday came from good forward movement. Obviously the opposition and flow of the game determine how often they can do this, but if the pair of them can do this more regularly I can see them easily building well on their combined 10 goal/assist contribution in the second half of the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I liked his goal celebration 

He had obviously given it some thought which leads you to believe that he expects to score when he steps on that pitch.

Top Lad.

Edited by gurru991
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've a feeling he is injured again after the knock he got vs Newcastle but carried on. He's been doing gym work this week and not out on the training pitch.

I don’t think he would’ve played against Stoke anyway. 

• Like 1

Sensing this will be his year, there's been a subtle change to his end product and long may that continue. Keep him fit and this system we play pitches him closer to Vardy and finding those pockets of space to score. He's a very good finisher, way more effective at shooting from the edge of the box than he is trying to create chances 60 yards from our goal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sensing this will be his year, there's been a subtle change to his end product and long may that continue. Keep him fit and this system we play pitches him closer to Vardy and finding those pockets of space to score. He's a very good finisher, way more effective at shooting from the edge of the box than he is trying to create chances 60 yards from our goal.

Yeah since the start of December he has 5 goal contributions in 6 games with a goal ruled out at Spurs and an assist ruled out at Newcastle both for marginal offsides.

The move to this sort of 4-2-3-1 that can switch to a 3-4-3 has helped him and Barnes out a lot IMO. They've both got a lot more freedom in the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Yeah since the start of December he has 5 goal contributions in 6 games with a goal ruled out at Spurs and an assist ruled out at Newcastle both for marginal offsides.

The move to this sort of 4-2-3-1 that can switch to a 3-4-3 has helped him and Barnes out a lot IMO. They've both got a lot more freedom in the team.

Tbf vardy’s finish against Newcastle wasn’t really tight. But I do agree with everything else you’ve described. If we can build a tram around him, lil Wes, tielmans and Barnes we are set. So exciting and that must be the most exciting core of under 23’s in the league. 

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

The longer we played 4-1-4-1 with 2 attacking wingers, the more Maddison and Tielemans stopped playing as advanced attacking midfielders and dropped deeper and deeper. Tielemans sadly will be the one that has to stay in a more combative role in the middle of the park but that's fine if Maddison can continue to push up and take the ball on the half turn and hurt teams. There's still licence for Tielemans to get forward on occasion as the system is flexible enough to have runners everywhere.

I suppose the sacrifice right now is, could we play Ünder and Barnes and have Maddison pushed up behind Vardy? If we do, someone's going to take an absolute pasting and it will be glorious, but we may also be less effective in those horrible matches.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think there's a few in the team we've only really seen glimpses of this year and if they step up consistently it could be an exciting second half. Madders, under, praet and the injured players coming back.

If madders can keep himself fit I think you're right - we've started to see more and more from him this month.

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

11 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I think there's a few in the team we've only really seen glimpses of this year and if they step up consistently it could be an exciting second half. Madders, under, praet and the injured players coming back.

If madders can keep himself fit I think you're right - we've started to see more and more from him this month.

In a way his performances have matured, he's started to take up dangerous positions in the hole between defence and midfield more frequently. We're seeing him start to be clinical with chances as well. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

He looks a div when doing all the modern day footballer social media stuff but I would say his post match interviews over the last few weeks have been refreshing. 

I've always found the same with him. In pictures and social media etc I think he's a bit of a div and then when you hear him in interviews etc he seems a decent grounded lad. He gets extra points for putting Ranges in their place when he was up here as well.

37 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I've always found the same with him. In pictures and social media etc I think he's a bit of a div and then when you hear him in interviews etc he seems a decent grounded lad. He gets extra points for putting Ranges in their place when he was up here as well.

He's hardly the first person to have an exaggerated social media persona. Personally, I kinda like that side of him too. It's clearly tongue in cheek. His grotesque clothes and rucksacks,  gangsta rap poses, absurd cocktails and vodka costing thousands in dubai etc. It's all for shits and giggles

• Like 3