Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Because he tries to get the perfect delivery every time.

No harm sometimes just lofting one into an area on occasion.

I don't think people appreciate how difficult it is to get the power, curve on the ball, accuracy and height all perfect for a corner. When you're trying that fast delivery, you've got a 5 inch gap to aim for. Too low and it hits the first man, too high and it's out for a throw in.

As I say, he needs to mix it up because teams are just putting their best headers at the front post now.

Over a course of games he does Mix it up..!:dunno:

54 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't think people appreciate how difficult it is to get the power, curve on the ball, accuracy and height all perfect for a corner. When you're trying that fast delivery, you've got a 5 inch gap to aim for. Too low and it hits the first man, too high and it's out for a throw in.

As I say, he needs to mix it up because teams are just putting their best headers at the front post now.

I don't think it should be difficult for a Premier League footballer who is the designated set peice taker.

Yes, at Sunday League you just hoof it in the box, it's quite difficult for your non professional footballer to get the whip, consistently anyway...

It's what Maddison should be training for each day and be coached on. If you look at players like Snodgrass and Ward-Prowse, they're in a different league compared to Maddison.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

...I  do not believe for one second he is trying to "hit" the near post!!!

Poor technique is the real reason he fails to be effective from that position. 

I would rather someone like Thomas (I know he is hardly ever in the team) take free kicks out wide or corners because he has a lot more control with the ball in that instance.

If you look at the players who wrap their foot around the ball, they have more accuracy and can generate pace. Mcneil from Burnley is a great example and you will find that sort of player imparts spin and pace as well as accuracy in their deliveries. Keepers are not going to come to catch deliveries such as these, they would not be able to due to the speed of the ball coming in and swinging away. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  do not believe for one second he is trying to "hit" the near post!!!

Poor technique is the real reason he fails to be effective from that position. 

I would rather someone like Thomas (I know he is hardly ever in the team) take free kicks out wide or corners because he has a lot more control with the ball in that instance.

If you look at the players who wrap their foot around the ball, they have more accuracy and can generate pace. Mcneil from Burnley is a great example and you will find that sort of player imparts spin and pace as well as accuracy in their deliveries. Keepers are not going to come to catch deliveries such as these, they would not be able to due to the speed of the ball coming in and swinging away. 

To use a cricket analogy. Shit gets wickets.

If you're trying to bowl the magic ball over and over again then batsmen will wise up to it and know how to defend it. Sometimes a full toss will get a batsman out because he's not expecting it. That's what i'm trying to get at because Maddison tries for the perfect corner every single time.

Just put it into an area and let the likes of Fofana and Soyuncu attack the ball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Also Maddison purposely slows down walking over to take a corner, they are actually an inconvenience to us!

That's one thing I don't miss about attending games as it's worse when you're there not watching a replay on TV whilst he ambles over. You'd think it would click after three years that it's a hinderance and only helps the opposition to be readily prepared for it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

That's one thing I don't miss about attending games as it's worse when you're there not watching a replay on TV whilst he ambles over. You'd think it would click after three years that it's a hinderance and only helps the opposition to be readily prepared for it.

Our goal against Everton came because they weren't ready for the corner.

On the same theme I belong to a golf forum 606 golf where we had Lee Westwood and R McIlroy both join under slight;ly indicative names .It was a heck of a laugh until their management found out and I think stopped it,Westwood would wear different  coloured shirts as asked by the forum and  use certain phrases in interviews,We even got him to do a press up on the side of a green at one tournament.You can guarantee some of our squad and staff are in here even though their contracts probably forbid (thats you SFE) 

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

That's one thing I don't miss about attending games as it's worse when you're there not watching a replay on TV whilst he ambles over. You'd think it would click after three years that it's a hinderance and only helps the opposition to be readily prepared for it. It's not a coincidence that more often or not we end up back at Kasper within 10 seconds of taking it.

...you would think that if it is to be played short, then it doesn’t matter who takes it!!!

1 minute ago, dynamark said:

On the same theme I belong to a golf forum 606 golf where we had Lee Westwood and R McIlroy both join under slight;ly indicative names .It was a heck of a laugh until their management found out and I think stopped it,Westwood would wear different  coloured shirts as asked by the forum and  use certain phrases in interviews,We even got him to do a press up on the side of a green at one tournament.You can guarantee some of our squad and staff are in here even though their contracts probably forbid (thats you SFE) 

Well, put the challenge down. 

Suggest a goal celebration and see if a player does the celebration, as a nudge nudge wink wink 

2 minutes ago, dynamark said:

....I  wondered about this when there was a very earnest discussion about corners on this forum!!!

The next game Maddison took all of them and played it short, that was some coincidence or players or someone close to the player reads these topics.

To see the change in tactics was a refreshing move from the previous policy.

For some I suppose to come into the forum and read what has been said about them must for some have a strong stomach. 

There is very little point in us winning corners or free kicks we cant score directly from (as in they are too far out or too tight an angle). It made me laugh on Wednesday when I think it was Barnes or Albrighton that shielded the ball out for a corner for us instead of keeping it in play and trying to create an opportunity from open play. Would honestly rather have a throw!!

Also Maddison purposely slows down walking over to take a corner, they are actually an inconvenience to us!

When you play a high intensity game with pressing, sometimes you need a breather and so does the team. Time to have that breather is when the ball goes out of play.

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I  wondered about this when there was a very earnest discussion about corners on this forum!!!

The next game Maddison took all of them and played it short, that was some coincidence or players or someone close to the player reads these topics.

To see the change in tactics was a refreshing move from the previous policy.

For some I suppose to come into the forum and read what has been said about them must for some have a strong stomach. 

Come on, they would know from all the analysis they have at the club that our corners have been crap and they need to do something about it.

I don't think the team is going to be taking tactical advice from a footy forum. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Come on, they would know from all the analysis they have at the club that our corners have been crap and they need to do something about it.

I don't think the team is going to be taking tactical advice from a footy forum. 

This. 

It would be frightening if that was the case.

• Like 1

Madders if you read this, try and give it to Ayoze and Youri next time we get a freekick on the edge of the box. When we score, I want you all lined up with the following t-shirts.

"We" "listened" "Foxestalk" 

Edited by Collymore
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

....they have been doing the same thing for years!!!!

Nearly 250 corners without scoring  then we got one, I thing we are upto 100+ since the last goal, it would be one very big coincidence that they changed something that has not worked for years after a topic which pointed out how ridiculous it is to continue doing something that clearly does not work.

Like the poster regarding the golf forum, if a professional Golfer can come on to a forum incognito then why can't a football player?

• Haha 1

Just now, Collymore said:

Madders if you read this, try and give it to Ayoze and Youri next time we get a freekick on the edge of the box. When we score, I want you all lined up with the following t-shirts.

"We" "listened" "Collymore" 

Nah we need the letter F after a goal scored, in the  same way Chilwell and a few others made the letter A.

Madders if your reading the letter F or T with the fingers after a goal please.

The thought of Brendan taking advice from this forum makes me smile.

Imagine when N’didi got injured last game. You can imagine BR turning to Kolo and saying: “..... we may as well throw the game. Season over now.” 

This coming shortly after starting Barnes up front, Ricardo on the wing and having Iheanacho humanely destroyed. 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Mark said:

yeah feels even worse when we're behind with ten minutes to go.

There is very little point in us winning corners or free kicks we cant score directly from (as in they are too far out or too tight an angle). It made me laugh on Wednesday when I think it was Barnes or Albrighton that shielded the ball out for a corner for us instead of keeping it in play and trying to create an opportunity from open play. Would honestly rather have a throw!!

I remember Barcelona a few years ago having a small team and they basically didn’t bother putting

the ball in the box from corners they just treated it like a throw in. Maybe that’s the way we should go.

25 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

When you play a high intensity game with pressing, sometimes you need a breather and so does the team. Time to have that breather is when the ball goes out of play.

It also allows the opposition to have a breather and get set against us.

18 minutes ago, Collymore said:

"We" "listened" "Foxestalk" 

...how about a celebration where certain players are in a line.....

Thanks (Timothy) We (Wilf) Heard (Harvey) You (Youri)!!!

What do you think?