Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

He’s on the pitch for those one or two individual moments that create a chance or he pops one in. Nobody can deny he’s been doing that of late, but by god he plays  a huge amount of diabolical shit in between. We and he needs to find a way to impact a game more consistently throughout the 90.

It’s frustrating because he is capable.

• Like 3

He isn't an idiot and will know his set pieces are dreadful and that he needs to work on them BUT my problem with this is he then should not hog them all and should let others take them. That is unforgivable. Youri clearly wanted to take some free kicks today but he would not let him. Brendan needs to step in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He’s on the pitch for those one or two individual moments that create a chance or he pops one in. Nobody can deny he’s been doing that of late, but by god he plays  a huge amount of diabolical shit in between. We and he needs to find a way to impact a game more consistently throughout the 90.

It’s frustrating because he is capable.

Weren't the same complaints aimed at Mahrez? 

His set-pieces are the biggest problem.

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's not once 'talked himself in to the England set-up'. He said he wants to play for England, after being asked a question about it. He's hardly going to say no, is he? 

Ask yourself this - what was the reason he was asked about playing for England?

He was scoring. He was assisting. He was impacting games. Is that not letting his football do the talking? Is that not what prompts England squad comments? He has ambition. He needs to be more consistent but all this crap about keeping your mouth shut and letting football do the talking. If he's doing a post-match interview, he's hardly going to be silent. He let his football talk in the lead up to that post-match interview.

I'd rather have a player that wants to play for England and try and get there and play himself in to form, and have one bad day after a couple of months as opposed to someone who doesn't have the ambition to play for them and therefore won't put in the effort to play.

Today was a shit day. He knows it. He doesn't need to be sold off by fans on here just after one bad game. Funnily enough he probably knows he could be better and will work hard to make it happen. You don't become shit overnight and put in a performance like today. What would worry me is if this kind of performance was sustained and we saw it happen for a big run of games. Let's also remember he misses the movement of Vardy in front of him - Perez occupies his space to work in and brings in more opposition players to get close to Maddison. Some games it'll work and others it won't - that literally is football. Maddison is clearly a player who is very good and highly-rated. He doesn't need all the shit that gets hurled to him after one bad game in which several others under-performed too. 

Exactly this. He speaks really well and doesn’t come across arrogant at all. He was a man in form who wants to play for England.

Thought he was really poor today, however, among the frequently shit set pieces, there were actually a few belters but we didn't have the quality to convert them. His set pieces in general aren't great but he's put in some beauties in recent weeks and we never convert them. You could put Youri or Under on set pieces but if we're going to keep making the wrong runs and blazing headers over the bar then it won't make much difference.

Just now, Paddy. said:

Thought he was really poor today, however, among the frequently shit set pieces, there were actually a few belters but we didn't have the quality to convert them. His set pieces in general aren't great but he's put in some beauties in recent weeks and we never convert them. You could put Youri or Under on set pieces but if we're going to keep making the wrong runs and blazing headers over the bar then it won't make much difference.

True as well. Soyuncu's header nearly leading to Evans/Perez scoring was a perfect corner. There were a couple of free-kicks that were put in to good positions as well with no-one on the end of them. Not saying his delivery is always like that, but if we had a bit more conviction in the box from some of our players, maybe we'd be scoring more from them too. 

33 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He made Southgate's job easy today. All those clamouring for his inclusion will not be do loud now after that AWOL performance. I like his moments of magic. But I remain anxious that he's a bit of a flat track bully. If he wants to be an Eng performer he needs to stamp his quality across the 'whole' of a game.

Yes he was poor today but he's done that plenty of times

51 minutes ago, mod hero said:

He’ll not be going to euros after that with Southchops in the crowd. Barnes on the other hand might.

As an aside. Is there really a need for Southgate to be driving up and down the country going to games?

Under the circumstances could he not watch the tv or get a few cameras recording the game for him?

Just curious to how necessary that part of his job is during a lockdown.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's not once 'talked himself in to the England set-up'. He said he wants to play for England, after being asked a question about it. He's hardly going to say no, is he? 

Ask yourself this - what was the reason he was asked about playing for England?

He was scoring. He was assisting. He was impacting games. Is that not letting his football do the talking? Is that not what prompts England squad comments? He has ambition. He needs to be more consistent but all this crap about keeping your mouth shut and letting football do the talking. If he's doing a post-match interview, he's hardly going to be silent. He let his football talk in the lead up to that post-match interview.

I'd rather have a player that wants to play for England and try and get there and play himself in to form, and have one bad day after a couple of months as opposed to someone who doesn't have the ambition to play for them and therefore won't put in the effort to play.

Today was a shit day. He knows it. He doesn't need to be sold off by fans on here just after one bad game. Funnily enough he probably knows he could be better and will work hard to make it happen. You don't become shit overnight and put in a performance like today. What would worry me is if this kind of performance was sustained and we saw it happen for a big run of games. Let's also remember he misses the movement of Vardy in front of him - Perez occupies his space to work in and brings in more opposition players to get close to Maddison. Some games it'll work and others it won't - that literally is football. Maddison is clearly a player who is very good and highly-rated. He doesn't need all the shit that gets hurled to him after one bad game in which several others under-performed too. 

The reason he is talked about in regard to England is the same reason we are called a counter attacking team. The same reason that Spurs were talked about in terms of winning a title a few weeks ago. The same reason Pogba goes from awful to great in the space of a week......THE MEDIA. 

He could have answered and made himself sound a bit humble. Maybe said he needs to do it at a rate of higher than 3 games every 10. 

I agree with you ...people play badly....and all players have bad days at the office. The point I disagree with is his attitude. If you're losing the ball time and time again....at least chance back. Put the effort in. Don't just walk about throwing your toys out of the pram because it's not bouncing your way. 

So I compare him to someone like Barnes. JJ. Or Youri. Players who even at thier low points never give up. Riding tackles and getting stuck in. Putting their foot in when they could get hurt.

You can't say 'they' have it right when talking about maddison and England. But 'they' don't know what they're talking about when it comes to Leicester....you can't have it both ways. 

1 minute ago, kristianity77 said:

He needs to ditch any dead ball apart from perhaps 20 yard direct free kicks where the intention is to shoot and concentrate on other parts of his game. 

Agreed. 

It's not even the fact that his shit kicks cost us goals....it's the opportunities we are giving up ourselves to score. 

We aren't man city or Liverpool.....you can't render set pieces meaningless. Its like we're playing at school boy level ! 

Madd is a class player who had a very poor game. 

The set pieces need to be changed - it’s becoming a mental thing - we need Youri or others to take a few - try and relieve the pressure on him.

the whole attacking balance was wrong today unfortunately and Maddison dropped a stinker when we needed him to show his undoubted class.

He was dropping deep again today, when he drops deep he looks anonymous. Probably because Perez is dropping into his position so he's moving to find space.

Was unlucky not to get a free shot on goal today, but Perez managed to screw up a simple 10 yard pass.

I actually didn't think his corners were too bad today, liked his effort at the start of the game. He got it all wrong, but I love that he's thinking outside the box.