Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Agree with many that Maddison has been improving massively of late coinciding with his playing further upfield and being disciplined about not dropping too deep and clash with Tielemans (who is and should be our midfield maestro that pull things together - Tielemans is our best midfielder). However, Maddison is still poor with his corners and long balls - as the commentator said on the channel I was watching the Brentford game on, “Maddison is not a good long ball passer is he, he is better at short passing around the box, but Leicester does have Tielemans to make those long ball passes” (or words to that effect). Completely agree. Also, Brentford’s corners are way better and we should run out of excuses to let Maddison take all our set pieces. His freekicks are pretty average - he does hit the target occasionally. 

Read a good post from Yokiefox here:

C6D7F96E-1553-4019-8527-684E8AFA2C36.jpeg

Edited by Tom12345
  • Haha 1

On 24/01/2021 at 20:43, Sampson said:

Made both his 100th appearance and scored his 25th goal for the club today.

That seems crackers. If we keep hold of him and keep in and around the top 4 for a few years he could well set some records.

On 20/01/2021 at 15:35, Col city fan said:

People bang on about Mason Mount but Christ, if I were Southgate I know who I’d be picking on current form!

And it’s not Mason Mount!

I think Mount and Maddison have different strengths in all honesty and I'd have both in the England squad. In fact I think Mount's energy and hard work would really compliment Maddison if they played together.

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I think Mount and Maddison have different strengths in all honesty and I'd have both in the England squad. In fact I think Mount's energy and hard work would really compliment Maddison if they played together.

Agree that Mount could play deeper alongside Rice, for example, in a 4231. But England play 343 so can't see how Maddison fits into that formation. Even in a 4231, including a 10 in the 3 behind the striker, the competition for Maddison is fierce, with Grealish and Foden other very strong options for the 10 role. Then you have a whole litany of wide options such as Sterling, Sancho and Rashford.

To be honest, knowing Southgate, he'll pick Smith-Rowe over Maddison for the squad. He's played about 4 matches for a 'big club', so he's obviously proved himself as the better bet for England.....

• Like 1

I'm sick to death with Maddison taking every god damn freekick we have.

Someone really needs to have the guts to tell him that someone else needs a go, especially dangerous freekicks around the box. I think it should be the captain but Kasper is too far away and probably drinking and playing with his towel to give a toss. 

It's the old chestnut coming out of the commentators "he's so dangerous from these positions" because they remembered him on Soccer AM. 

Give them Youri or Perez from now on please!!! 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

His set-pieces were poor but I thought his general game in the second half was really good.

They were amazing positions we had and he wasted them both. I'm sure Perez would have been licking his lips from that range.  

6 hours ago, Collymore said:

I'm sick to death with Maddison taking every god damn freekick we have.

Someone really needs to have the guts to tell him that someone else needs a go, especially dangerous freekicks around the box. I think it should be the captain but Kasper is too far away and probably drinking and playing with his towel to give a toss. 

It's the old chestnut coming out of the commentators "he's so dangerous from these positions" because they remembered him on Soccer AM. 

Give them Youri or Perez from now on please!!! 

Only Ward-Prowse has more than him in the league since he joined us...

In his defence, they were pretty close and had a huge wall - Mina, Keane, Godfrey all 6’2” plus. The first one he obvs tried to go under but got it wrong but the second was just poor. 

His delivery from corners and free kicks has actually improved up until last night, we’re just not very good at attacking them. 

A goal scoring free kick is ideal for Maddison. I’ve no idea why for the last 12 months, his delivery has been borderline abysmal!

Probably one of those where if he sets one up, more will follow quickly. But now I’m at the point where the short corner is the most viable option right now.

14 hours ago, M0901 said:

A goal scoring free kick is ideal for Maddison. I’ve no idea why for the last 12 months, his delivery has been borderline abysmal!

Probably one of those where if he sets one up, more will follow quickly. But now I’m at the point where the short corner is the most viable option right now.

....have you noticed that the attempt to put the cross in from the short corner results in hitting the near post!!!

Now we do not have players attacking the near post, no one gambles that is where the ball will be and yet it goes there almost every time. That I would say is down to the intelligence of our players gambling or taking up a position at the near post drawing other defenders away from positions the really want to be..

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....have you noticed that the attempt to put the cross in from the short corner results in hitting the near post!!!

Now we do not have players attacking the near post, no one gambles that is where the ball will be and yet it goes there almost every time. That I would say is down to the intelligence of our players gambling or taking up a position at the near post drawing other defenders away from positions the really want to be..

It's mind boggling that we don't seem to have any game plan when it comes to corners or freekicks into the box, I mean yes, it's obvious that Rodgers has said "mix them up with a short one" but that is all that seems to have been to said, the ball seems to still end up just being hit blindly into the box like a game of a chance. 

When defending them the marking is almost laughable, you'll see Mendy marking the tallest bloke and everyone else just looks a mismatch for some reason... 

What about actually getting someone like Elliott, Walsh, Guppy or Taggart in to work on set pieces? I mean looking back over the last quarter of a century, it's the only part of the game we've regressed at and I'd say that quartet were probably the best in class in that field. 

• Like 1

There is very little point in us winning corners or free kicks we cant score directly from (as in they are too far out or too tight an angle). It made me laugh on Wednesday when I think it was Barnes or Albrighton that shielded the ball out for a corner for us instead of keeping it in play and trying to create an opportunity from open play. Would honestly rather have a throw!!

Also Maddison purposely slows down walking over to take a corner, they are actually an inconvenience to us!

• Like 1