Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

West Ham 0-3 Post Mortem

1 hour ago, Matt said:

What in the final third? The end were supposed to be attacking?

I admit we didn’t create much today and didn’t score but I’d rather see us up there then meaninglessly pass side to side and backwards in our own half infront of our own own penalty area - it’s hardly ‘where it matters’ is it?

Dude, we must have been watching different games - or perhaps you had your TV upside down. lol

Most of our possession was succinctly typified by us playing “keep away” in our own half and the middle of the park in the added minute of the first half, passing the ball sideways and backwards with absolutely no sense of urgency (this is where I miss the crowd getting on players’ backs). Reality is that West Ham comfortably had us passing around in front of their two banks of defensive lines, and comfortably turned us backwards or dispossessed us once we ventured into the final third.

Please let’s chalk off this tepid display to experience and regroup, rather than trying to delude ourselves that it did not happen. 

Edited by NaijaFox

Won’t win every game unfortunately and if you have one player off their game you still have a chance to get something unfortunately when most of the team have an off day you don’t stand a chance. Hopefully put it right by smashing villa after the break West game will do this to more than us this season I am sure. Antonio is a handful for most defenders.

Not seen the match yet, recorded and will watch later but I think a bit of perspective is needed.

Last week people are starting threads saying, "how far can this side go", going on about having one of the best squads in the league now this week everyone is shit again.

The truth is obviously slap bang in the middle, people need to calm down and look at the bigger picture, ok no one wants done 3-0 off West Ham but to start the season with 9/12 anyone on this forum would have grabbed that with both hands in the last week of August.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, burleighfox said:

I reckon they should give Irvine the job and tell Moyes to stay on permanent bed rest.

I imagine Moyes was over the moon with the option of giving himself Rubbie Burns at 3-0 up

Edited by turtmcfly

Wow! It says something when there is so much to be critical about us in that game. Fair play to the hammers for coming with A solid game plan and sticking to it. The oweness was on us today to put play them. Seems like we just collectively dropped our pants from manager to the players. 

Lets not hammer mendy too much he did about as well as he could. Today was a game for big N’didi that’s all. Evans Is rusty and needs to get back to his best quick. With cags being so bad we can only put that down to Evans not a 100%. Perez should have been taken off sooner and nachos on. I could go on but you’ve all covered it. Let’s use the break to regroup get madders and Praet back and return to winning ways. We can’t have another game as so completely bad as this again surely against this kind of opposition?

COYF-FFS!!! :chant:

I felt sorry for Vardy he made the right runs just didn't get the service today. 

Poor performances from JJ, Perez and Soyuncu made it incredibly hard for us today.

Perez lost the ball countless amounts of times and gave the ball away cheaply. In my opinion he stayed on the pitch for 30 minutes too long. 

Justin defensively is not switched on enough from what i have seen of him so far.

We missed having that extra creative player in Praet today. The fact he can have one touch look up and pick a pass was a huge loss to us today. Instead we had Perez who gave possession away more often than not. 

I look forward to the return of Ricardo, Maddison, Ndidi and Praet. Once they return i can't see us having many issues breaking teams like West Ham down

47 minutes ago, jet-plane said:

Once they scored the opener and then got very lucky with the second, it was always going to be hard to break them down with the players we had out today.

Of course media have them as world beaters today, and you can buy that if you wish.

If we played them tomorrow, I’d back us all day long.

How did they get very lucky with the second lol

It was just really quick thinking and good timing of the run from Fornals? It summed up West Ham just being quicker in the mind and on the pitch today. They seemed first to all the second balls and loose pieces today. They wanted it more.

If Vardy or Barnes made that run with someone lofting the ball over the defence stood stationary on the halfway line, we'd be lapping it up. 

No luck about it at all.

Dare I say are we looking at a Perez being off loaded in the January sales? He’s certainly not helping himself. JJ needs to improve significantly and quickly or we replace him. Being a constant liability that the opposition can pick on is not a good thing.

on the bright side looking forward to foffana in the side and hope he improves us. Also Under needs to gel with the team and show us what he can do. Today was tough but welcome to the premier league son! Now he knows the score.

Lots of comments about the formation but in the absence of Ndidi, you can understand why Rodgers kept going with 3 at the back.

The problem was the space between the defence and midfield. Early in the game against Man City, we had similar issues but as the match went on, one of centrebacks pressed up to support the midfield. That didn't happen today, leaving Mendy and Tielemans under greater pressure with no outball.

When the onus is on us to break teams down, I would have much preferred Thomas to Justin as he gives us more of a creative, direct outlet. 

Obviously Maddison and Praet were big misses, we simply lacked the guile to break West Ham down in their absence. Also, we need to improve our set pieces considerably, both defensively and offensively. In matches where teams set up like West Ham, they're even more crucial. Even if we don't win the first ball, we need to make sure we're set up better for the second ball. Time and time again, West Ham won the second ball and we were under pressure from the counter-attack. 

Ricardo, Ndidi, Praet and Maddison would be a big miss for most teams, looking forward to at least Maddison and Praet back in our next game. 

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How did they get very lucky with the second lol

It was just really quick thinking and good timing of the run from Fornals? It summed up West Ham just being quicker in the mind and on the pitch today. They seemed first to all the second balls and loose pieces today. They wanted it more.

If Vardy or Barnes made that run with someone lofting the ball over the defence stood stationary on the halfway line, we'd be lapping it up. 

No luck about it at all.

To be fair it was a sunday league punt up the pitch that started the move to put Fornals through. Good control and finish though.

Some realism will come from today’s game..

it was much the same form as our run in last season..

9/10th place this season will be about us..
meet will be fantastic in some games, and dreadful in others. Especially with the business not being as fruitful as we may have thought.

49 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Not seen the match yet, recorded and will watch later but I think a bit of perspective is needed.

Last week people are starting threads saying, "how far can this side go", going on about having one of the best squads in the league now this week everyone is shit again.

The truth is obviously slap bang in the middle, people need to calm down and look at the bigger picture, ok no one wants done 3-0 off West Ham but to start the season with 9/12 anyone on this forum would have grabbed that with both hands in the last week of August.

*PERSPECTIVE CLAXON*

• Haha 1

The irony being that they did to us today exactly what we did to Man City last week. Sat in, stayed compact and blocked all of the central areas and hit us on the break clinically. Think Brendan said it after the match that we rushed it and were 2-0 down too early on.

Obviously having both Maddison and Praet out didn’t help but 5 at the back against West Ham, at home, isn’t the way forward. Spent the majority of the game in possession with Amartey, Evans and Söyüncü with the entire West Ham team in front of us. Think we needed that extra body in the middle of the park, although Amartey looked one of the better players when on the pitch was just the wrong tactical set up.

Was just an off day today for too many of our players and you can’t get away with that in the prem. Hopefully, the 2 weeks off will do us some good and we will look a lot better when we have both Madders and Praet available again to revert to 4-3-3, and not long until Ricardo is back as well which will be like a new signing!!

9/12 from our opening 4 games and in the top 4 isn’t bad. A long way to go, today wasn’t our day and we move on.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

We were as bad this game as we were good the last one. Bipolar really.