Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

West Ham 0-3 Post Mortem

28 minutes ago, sdb said:

I kept thinking that, but we've actually played like that about 10 times in 2020

I was trying to be rationale and think like this but I really do think we have. Cut open literally every time they attacked and apart from the last 5 mins, not only did we not get in on goal, we almost didn't try.

I've been far more wound up at our performances in the past but I think that's a measure of how hopeless we were today, that we never had a chance of getting anything from the game.

11 minutes ago, Denenden said:

First time I ve watched ur full game. I don't understand what system you are in. Yesterday I've watched FC rotor from volgograd and at least they had some sort of a game plan. Will keep follow you guys, someone explain me what s ur plan other than make vardy run?

You chose a very poor match as your first. Check out the highlight reels from the first three matches this season. Despite today, we are a very decent Premier League top end team (and don't forget that 3 quarters of our midfield were missing, Ndidi, Praet and Maddison). Stick with us. 

:welcome:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shen said:

You're both spot on. There are some stupid overreactions here (I get it, we badly lost a game that some of our fans thought would be a walkover), so I'm glad someone is able to stay level-headed.

Listen I hold my hands up, I’m normally OTT.

But today we weren’t that bad, it was far from the tepid, passive, boring possession for possession sake football.

West Ham were simply solid and I’m not gonna cry about that, fair play to them.

As I said in the match thread McManaman summed (previous performances) it up for me (although at the time during this match I didn’t agree) we played with a lot of possession at the back without going forward using the possession - that has been my issue with the last couple of years but so far this season I don’t think it’s been the case and I didn’t think so today albeit our possession didn’t really get anywhere but again that was because West Ham were over us like a rash.

8 minutes ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

Daft to read too much into it and all the posters suggesting the performance/players are an 'embarrassment' need to get a grip. The final ball really lacked today but it shouldn't seem surprising that given Praet and Maddison were out, we couldn't find it. It's pretty clear that Perez isn't up to that task. A good two weeks to have a fit squad will be huge for us - we also move a lot closer to Ricky P coming back as I think gaps in Justin's positional ability were exposed today. 

Some of us are capable of optimistically looking forward without denying the reality of today’s embarrassment. Both are not mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, lcfceaves said:

They weren’t set up superb they just did what teams need to do against us. We cannot defend crosses into the box and we leave Evans and Soyunchu will be left exposed so we are easy to hit on the break. So what did West Ham do? Sit in and when they can, cross and counter. 

I want Rodgers to actually make us look solid even if it means being boring for a bit. If not we are going down the table fast - the amount we concede cannot continue

Well they played on the counter and scored 2 goals from it so I guess yeah they were set up superb, sat back and played the low block really well

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our lack of height bothers me but you don't just sign players for their height alone. Fofama seems to excel in defending balls in to the box so hopefully he is in the team very quickly.

Very true this, can get away with it with a dominant keeper but we don't have that either. Even Evans and Soyuncu are not the most dominant, Soyuncu in particular switches off far too much. 

25 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

How many saves did their GK Fabianski have to make?

Dude could have brought a deck chair and a daiquiri to the KP. 

Admittedly we didn’t trouble them but for me that was because of West Ham being solid.

Ok we didn’t thread any passes through, but equally West Ham didn’t let us - and that was a good job done on their part.

The fact we had possession, pushed forward in that final third was refreshing and encouraging for me given how we’ve largely played in the last couple of years.

Well sadly that was somewhat predictable once the team and  the formation was announced. We were deservedly spanked and all credit to West Ham who played well. 

Did BR watch them against Wolves and did he just think we could do the same as against Manchester City with three at the back? 

To be fair, we missed Praet or Maddison in that forward midfield position but BR should have adjusted better. I gave Perez some gip for losing the ball for the first goal but in his defence (very little, perhaps), he is not made for that position.

No witch hunt though from me. He was far from the only culprit today as there were very few positives, if any, out of that sadly player wise. Caglar had a real game to forget. Mendy tried as did Tielemans but without any outlet further up field to link with Vardy or Barnes, then it was all in vain. 

And if Rodgers doesn't learn tactically (how many times must we say it?), then we are in for a very frustrating season indeed. 

Just now, Matt said:

Admittedly we didn’t trouble them but for me that was because of West Ham being solid.

Ok we didn’t thread any passes through, but equally West Ham didn’t let us - and that was a good job done on their part.

The fact we had possession, pushed forward in that final third was refreshing and encouraging for me given how we’ve largely played in the last couple of years.

We had possession where it didn’t matter. That’s the crux of the matter.

Two main points today for me:

1. We played today, at home, against an improving side, but let’s face it, most of us thought we’d win... and had not a single shot on target all game

2. WTF did Rodgers bring out the SAME team, and the SAME formation for the second half?

Both points above... criminal really 

West Ham came and played for a 0-0.  The fact the they could have scored half a dozen while their keeper didn't even get his knees dirty shows how bad we were tactically and mentally today. Hope they've leared a lesson today as that was an appalling spectacle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Crouchy absolutely gets it, we need something different than just vardy up front when it comes to breaking teams down

The manager doesn't want it. Iheanacho will want the ball into feet around the box which is very tough against a packed defence. I think we need a physical option up front to the cross the ball in the air to but we won't have it.

This is part of the reason we look so clueless in these games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Think there are too many overreactions here, just as there were last week.

A couple of shit defensive mistakes (Soyuncu in a 3 at the back needs to go in the bin for a while) that were well punished, and then it's very difficult to recover without much creativity on the pitch against that defensive setup.

I don't understand the fascination with pinning Barnes and Perez against their back three, we do it far too often. They were always going to restrict Justin and Castagne, so you have to drop at least one of Perez or Barnes back to pick the ball up from deep and drive with it. Perez picked up some handy positions in space between midfield and defence in the first ten minutes and then he stopped doing it, very strange. We certainly miss the ability to dribble from deep that Maddison brings.

9 points from four is very good, we've broken our big team curse, players continue to return from injury. We move on

Yeah pretty much agree with this but with a caveat that Rodgers must learn on how to improve us in certain situations against the low block, as well as improve us defensively and attacking set pieces and crosses, its been a problem for a while now and there must be acknowledgement of this between him and his coaches. Our injury problems are a concern as well, we have a brutal schedule starting in 2 weeks and it feels like its inevitable we are going to be stretched at times. 

Need Praet and Maddison fit ASAP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Well sadly that was somewhat predictable once the team and  the formation was announced. We were deservedly spanked and all credit to West Ham who played well. 

Did BR watch them against Wolves and did he just think we could do the same as against Manchester City with three at the back? 

To be fair, we missed Praet or Maddison in that forward midfield position but BR should have adjusted better. I gave Perez some gip for losing the ball for the first goal but in his defence (very little, perhaps), he is not made for that position.

No witch hunt though from me. He was far from the only culprit today as there were very few positives, if any, out of that sadly player wise. Caglar had a real game to forget. Mendy tried as did Tielemans but without any outlet further up field to link with Vardy or Barnes, then it was all in vain. 

And if Rodgers doesn't learn tactically (how many times must we say it?), then we are in for a very frustrating season indeed. 

The reality is that both Mendy and Tielemans were bossed today physically. Particularly by Declan Rice

Its been said before. Mendy offers zero going forward and if the opposition stamps on Tielemans he’s a pedestrian.

Just now, Corky said:

The manager doesn't want it. Iheanacho will want the ball into feet around the box which is very tough against a packed defence. I think we need a physical option up front to the cross the ball in the air to but we won't have it.

This is part of the reason we look so clueless in these games.

Yes totally agree with this, on BT the camera spammed to Albrighton who looked sarcastically annoyed. As much as we wanted to see under today Albrighton was a better option, we needed to stretch their defensive line

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

The reality is that both Mendy and Tielemans were bossed today physically. Particularly by Declan Rice

Its been said before. Mendy offers zero going forward and if the opposition stamps on Tielemans he’s a pedestrian.

We were physically out fought all over the pitch today.