Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

West Ham 0-3 Post Mortem

After a terrific start to the season, that can't be denied, what happened today. I've been wracking my brains since the final whistle and it seems to me two things, one WHU wanted it more than us and second I wonder if complacency had crept in. Whatever, we have plenty of work to do if we want to finish with a Top 4 place.

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

After a terrific start to the season, that can't be denied, what happened today. I've been wracking my brains since the final whistle and it seems to me two things, one WHU wanted it more than us and second I wonder if complacency had crept in. Whatever, we have plenty of work to do if we want to finish with a Top 4 place.

"They wanted it more" . I cannot ****ing stand it when football fans peddle that absolute tripe.

Get a grip.

We were shit, they were great. Nothing to do with "wanting" it. Sorry but that's utter rubbish.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

And here’s a suggestion, for all the good it does us...
When we win a corner kick or a free-kick up the pitch, we should just hand over ball to the opponents and save everyone the bother! 

I actually think we are better off sending no one forward and just playing it short. Currently it’s not worth the threat of being hit on the counter.

I don't think Tielemans' position was right today. Against Man City, he and Mendy were able to skilfully beat the press. Against West Ham, Tielemans was too deep and we needed his creativity further up the pitch. Perez wasn't good enough so we needed Tielemans in a more advanced role with potentially Choudhury alongside Mendy. Choudhury's more combative nature may have suited the opposition better and set a tone that could've spread among his teammates.

Either that or we just should've played 4 at the back from the beginning. With Mendy the only deep-lying midfielder. Amartey would've been the obvious player to drop from the team in that case, which would've been harsh, but we were immediately more effective when we changed shape today.

To me it seems we changed shape and personnel for Man City but then not for West Ham.

That being said, West Ham were brilliant today. We were atrocious physically and in the air, made a lot of unforced errors and couldn't move the ball quickly enough in dangerous areas. Barnes' disallowed goal was encouraging though. That's exactly how we should be playing.

I think that was a lesson learned there. We need to be taking the game to most teams in the division.

6 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Or it could that West Ham are a very good team and will have one of their best PL seasons, ever. They put 4 past Wolves last week. 

It was one of those days that happens. Its football (said in a Claudio voice). 

2 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I don't think Tielemans' position was right today. Against Man City, he and Mendy were able to skilfully beat the press. Against West Ham, Tielemans was too deep and we needed his creativity further up the pitch. Perez wasn't good enough so we needed Tielemans in a more advanced role with potentially Choudhury alongside Mendy. Choudhury's more combative nature may have suited the opposition better and set a tone that could've spread among his teammates

With hindsight this probably would have helped but imagine this forum if we had started Mendy and Choudhury together lol

• Haha 1

Let’s no kid ourselves. We were found out and out played by an intelligent West Ham performance.   Yes we have 3-4 first eleven players missing, but this is squad game and today we were plain and simple second best.   

Two weeks now to stew over this and hopefully we have good news tomorrow with some more dead trees chopped out  to make us all smile again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Or it could that West Ham are a very good team and will have one of their best PL seasons, ever. They put 4 past Wolves last week. 

It was one of those days that happens. Its football (said in a Claudio voice). 

They put 4 past Wolves doing exactly what they did against us - sit back, soak up pressure and hit them on the break. Which is why it was somewhat baffling we started with a back-three. It was almost as if no one on our staff scouted their game.

Our last two performances remind me of Jose Mourinho's football philosophy.

1. The game is won by the team who commit fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

But it was so predictable col - many commented in the pre match thread that this was the concern - to Take a body out of that midfield was an astonishing decision 

The only other fit midfielder available was Hamza so are you suggesting we should have started him alongside Mendy and Youri? Cos that's the only way we could have avoided losing a man in midfield.

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

With hindsight this probably would have helped but imagine this forum if we had started Mendy and Choudhury together lol

Absolute meltdown lol

Personally I think 4-1-4-1 would've done it. Regardless, we did come up against a remarkably well-drilled, effective, physically dominant West Ham side today. They took their chances well too. I know he's ex-Forest but I love Antonio and how he's grafted his way to becoming a very effective PL centre forward. He's an excellent finisher too.

23 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

And here’s a suggestion, for all the good it does us...
When we win a corner kick or a free-kick up the pitch, we should just hand over ball to the opponents and save everyone the bother! 

Which begs the question: What are they doing in training (or the transfer market) to address this obvious and persistent shortcoming?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The only other fit midfielder available was Hamza so are you suggesting we should have started him alongside Mendy and Youri? Cos that's the only way we could have avoided losing a man in midfield.

in the absence of praet, madders and wilf, we could have pushed DA alongside mendy to add another person higher up the pitch or indeed hamza although DA offers more defending set plays which was evidently our concern .......youri would have pushed further forward whilst still being available for the ‘triangle’ but would have meant we were three v three in the middle 

accept that DA and mendy together is an awful pairing from an attacking perspective but we would have been better than what we saw and actually more solid