Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Deadline Day Thread

4 minutes ago, dooflip said:

But he’s not a natural left back. That’s my point. He’s a makeshift left back, as are the others. Not good enough for a club with top 4 aspirations. Really thought we would kick on and show some ambition after the shambles after restart.

He's more than a makeshift left back.  Very versatile and as comfortable on the left as he is on the right we've been led to believe. 

He's made a great start and looks like he will be a really successful signing.

Edited by murphy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JamesfromlondonLCFC said:

exactly, the owners havent splashed cash on players without selling first in years. since before pearson rejoined really. people seem to have a very misguided idea on the way we do transfers. the owners almost never invest money to buy players. in fact at this point they straight up never do that, they have us running at a profit, the club pays for itself.

Which is/has been great. I do worry though that we are at a level now where if we want to progress and solidify a place in the upper echelons of the table that this model is going to need looking at sooner or later. 

• Like 1

Just now, SecretPro said:

Which is/has been great. I do worry though that we are at a level now where if we want to progress and solidify a place in the upper echelons of the table that this model is going to need looking at sooner or later. 

the model has changed tho essentially. but instead of throwing money at players they threw it at the training ground. which is a way bigger deal than a lot of people seem to think. also lets not forget, we just spent 30 odd million on an 18 year old

• Like 2

BR wanted 5 in.... that hasn’t happened due to money not being available..

being in Europe , surely we needed a bigger and better squad.

im still not sure we are strong enough to cope in PL and EL. Especially with injuries already taking their toll

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rigga said:

im still not sure we are strong enough to cope in PL and EL. Especially with injuries already taking their toll

He probably could have had 5 if we got UCL. But europa doesn't generate nearly as much cash. So we don't have the funds as that is not how the club is run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesfromlondonLCFC said:

the model has changed tho essentially. but instead of throwing money at players they threw it at the training ground. which is a way bigger deal than a lot of people seem to think. also lets not forget, we just spent 30 odd million on an 18 year old

We signed Wesley Fofana not Benjamin Button 😂

10 hours ago, dooflip said:

But he’s not a natural left back. That’s my point. He’s a makeshift left back, as are the others. Not good enough for a club with top 4 aspirations. Really thought we would kick on and show some ambition after the shambles after restart.

The club do not have the money for regular top 4 finishes, or even a regular attempt at it. Whilst the aim should always to finish as high as you can, that’s impacted by the fact we cannot compete financially. Which is why the talk from the clubs board is about challenging the top 6 regularly. Which means 7th / 8th is perfectly acceptable.

The sooner people get their heads around the financial realities of a club like Leicester the better. Finishing top 6 is an incredible achievement, let alone anything else. Look back over the last 25 years and see who has managed that outside the biggest clubs in the country, let alone doing it twice.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Given that we are spending a large amount on Seagrave, our transfer policy kind of hinges on a player leaving for a large fee so we can buy more than one with lower transfer values that have time to develop at the club. 

The sales of Mahrez, Chilwell, Maguire and Kante, plus others, have financed plenty of players' arrivals over the past few years. And I fully expect that trend to continue over the next few seasons.

...as we are borrowing against revenue on league placement.....Iwe are investing in infrastructure as a one of!!!

I do not envisage we will be selling to meet the financial cost of purchases after next season.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...as we are borrowing against revenue on league placement.....Iwe are investing in infrastructure as a one of!!!

I do not envisage we will be selling to meet the financial cost of purchases after next season.

I think we might be, the KP loan For seagrave will need paying back. The saving from the players leaving is likely to be put towards that, as lowering our high wage bills of waste seems the obvious place for funding. That could be years and years of money diverted for that.

So in reality large spending sprees will need financing somehow. I’m taking £30m+

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I think we might be, the KP loan For seagrave will need paying back. The saving from the players leaving is likely to be put towards that, as lowering our high wage bills of waste seems the obvious place for funding. That could be years and years of money diverted for that.

So in reality large spending sprees will need financing somehow. I’m taking £30m+

...where's my cut......!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'm surprised you're surprised that people are surprised by Everton's spending.

Well, you can colour me surprised at your surprise at my surprise over people being surprised at Everton's spending

1 hour ago, Rigga said:

We got the three new guys, plus Mendy and Amartey are like a couple of new signings. I think if everyone was fit we’d be fine. The real problem at the moment is injuries.

Edit: Point already made above I see.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

Has there been any explanation as to why the window is longer between English clubs? Seems ridiculous to me and unfair on EFL clubs that they're best players can still be poached.

Not signing anyone on deadline day shows there is no panic, which is good, but still think we needed more this summer to really improve

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Has there been any explanation as to why the window is longer between English clubs? Seems ridiculous to me and unfair on EFL clubs that they're best players can still be poached.

Not signing anyone on deadline day shows there is no panic, which is good, but still think we needed more this summer to really improve

Does seem strange, but then I wondered if this was to give non EPL clubs an option to financially benefit should they wish to use it. :dunno:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesfromlondonLCFC said:

i dont get it. i know who benjamin button is, but i still dont get it. im saying we have spent a lot of money on what is essentially a prospect. which is a big thing. hopefully a good thing. but definitely a big thing

I think the point is that Lil' Wes is 19 (not 18). 

I think there will still be a fair bit going on, there's some serious talent left in the Championship. Norwich and Bournemouth haven't been able to offload everyone they needed to yet, and Brentford will still look to sell Benrahama to fit in with their strategy.

Similarly Rodon to Spurs looks a done deal. 

Us going back in for Ben Davies (Preston) wouldn't surprise me either.

9 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

We are having a rough time of it with injuries at the moment, but I think the depth in the squad is much better than it was. Yet to be seen how good Fofana or Under will be for us, but I've been very impressed by how well players like Mendy and Praet have started the season. I think Brendan is improving squad players like he did with Nacho last season. We will have a strong bench if/when injuries clear up a bit.

Other than at full back and striker, I think we've got decent back up not far off the quality of the starters all over the pitch now. That's s lot to do with the fact how brilliant Vardy and Ricardo are though, how could you have backup even close to them. 

• Like 2