Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bevan

Maddison

Just now, tetly said:

More miss unfortunately.

A few flashes of brilliance but he doesn’t do it game after game yet.

He looks for to many free kicks that slows us down a lot.

His corners are terrible and he lacks physical strength. 
He is a good player nice first touch and good passer, He needs to dominate games more as our main creator.

Totally agree, with all your comments above, bang on.

Maddison didn't show up tonight, although he wasn't the only one and only really got a sniff when we changed the shape and made the Praet/Under double sub to get him into the game more. A difficult game for him but he's shown some quality since coming back from injury. 

Also can we stop with the incessant Maddison-Grealish comparisons. Yes, their skill sets over lap in places but they play completely different roles for their teams. One is at the top of his game and the other is coming back from injury. 

Edited by LCCFox96
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Royston. said:

I'll admit he cant take a corner but he is quality. The way we set up and the way we play doesnt get the best out of him.

Oh god not this again. Vardy - not set up for him, Youri - not set up for him, Chilwell - not set up for him. Blah blah

Let's face facts - maddison is not developing as well as we'd hoped. Last year he was the same level as Greilish. Now he's at least 2 levels behind him. He needs to be brought back down to earth and realise he needs to work on his game. 

Edited by hejammy
  • Like 1

It's a strange one.

First half of last season he was brilliant. Looked like he was really maturing as a player, looked like he was on track for 10+ goals, which is something we've desperately lacked since Mahrez left, which I can never really see Maddison (or Barnes) ever really getting more than 6 or 7 goals a league season.

I think there is definitely the talent there, but I'm not quite sure what's gone wrong since Christmas? He's had problems with injuries for sure.

But he just never takes control or games or takes games by the scruff of the neck anymore.

Our biggest problem since we lost Mahrez has always been - if Vardy can't get into the game - then we don't have anyone else who you can rely on to get into it to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Look at Liverpool today - Mane couldn't get into the game at all, but they had other players like Jota and Robertson who could take control of the attack still. Maybe Tielemans can do it at times in terms of a defence-splitting pass. But you expect you're other advanced forward players to do it and I'm racking my brain trying to think of a big game where we were struggling to get Vardy into it Maddison or Barnes have really stood up and taken the main attacking role. They always seem to be our secondary attacking players, drifitng in and out of games, rather than taking control of them.

We just don't have any other players other than Vardy who you really expect to get more than 6 or 7 Premier League goals this season and even those like Maddison or Barnes who get the odd goal, never seem to get them are crucial goals when we really need them to step up, as opposed to the routine 2nd or 3rd goal in a comfortable win.

Edited by Sampson

5 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Oh god not this again. Vardy - not set up for him, Youri - not set up for him, Chilwell - not set up for him. Blah blah

Let's face facts - maddison is not developing as well as we'd hoped. Last year he was the same level as Greilish. Now he's at least 2 levels behind him. He needs to be brought back down to earth and realise he needs to work on his game. 

The Grealish comparison is totally irrelevant. Grealish's strengthens are his electric dribbling ability, cutting in off the wing, and moving the ball through tight spaces around the opposition penalty area. Maddison's main strengths are very different. Grealish basically plays as a left sided forward, Maddison has played as a no.8 and a deeper lying attacking mid with wing backs outside him recently. Their roles are completely different. Maddison isn't going to start hitting Grealish's numbers for goals this season and start flying past defenders on the regular. It's a lazy trope comparison because they're both young English midfielders.

There are areas Maddison needs to improve - he's said as much himself recently - and he's also coming back from injury. I'd like to see him step up more regularly and run the show because he's capable of it. It'll come.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Not this again, Maddison is returning from injury. What has Grealish got to do with anything???

Sure I've mentioned this before but when Maddison starts winning games on his own is when the racoons come sniffing.

If he isnt good enough for us what does that say about Praet/Under/Tielemans???

• Like 1

It's funny to me that the people who rate maddison the least are also the ones calling for this leicester side to become the maddison show. Like i dont understand how you can be disappointed that he doesnt take control of games by himself, especially in games like today when the support from his teammates wasnt there, only a very elite group of players can control entire 11v11 football games by themselves regularly and maddison isnt one of them, and that's alright as we cant reasonably expect that from him.

2 hours ago, Hammo said:

Talented player who is excellent on the half turn in between the lines... but lacks aggression and is really really useless at corners.

...this was not a formation to put him into!!!

Bring him on in the second half when we are more committed to go forward and he gives us the openings that we need. He will be used when we are back to a full injury-free roster.

I have never been a great supporter of Maddison, he is not a dynamic player and seems to flatter and appear slow the in respect of pace and thought.

No point hammering him regarding his performance in this formation, it is just not something that will allow him to thrive in.

Hes a good , skilful player but not for the tough, competitive ,high paced games to start.  Bring him on with 20 mins to go when in control, or play him against the weaker sides. We have moved on from him being the star , even if his persona is such that he acts as if/ we perceive him to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hejammy said:

Grealish was gash yesterday. It happens to the best.

5 hours ago, twister said:

Maddison is at a key point, does he want to be a ok player or a top class player its up to him, he has to get stronger fitter and better, he has a short window on this.

For sure. His long passes are often way off and you can see that he struggles because whipping it hard significantly reduces accuracy for him - sign that he needs to be much stronger to make it easier for him to be more accurate.

This is going to be very unpopular but I'm glad others are starting to see it. He is the most overrated player I have ever seen in a City shirt. The way the pundits talk about him is ridiculous. 

He slows down our play constantly. He goes down clutching his ankle at the slightest touch. When he's tackled or loses the ball he just waves his arms around & shouts to the referee instead of trying to retrieve the ball. How about his extremely slow 'cant be arsed' stroll to take a corner which inevitably hits the first man? 

Like I said its unpopular but I simply do not rate him at all. We are a far better team without him. I've seen him around a few times too & he seems a massive bellend. I've never disliked one of our own players like this useless waster. I hope I'm proven wrong but I'd love us to get rid of this tool in January.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Grealish was gash yesterday. It happens to the best.

to be fair he set up two sitters for watkins and should have set up the equaliser had the pen been given, even on a average display

Look madders is a really gifted player has lovley balance, but like with david bentley he cannot rely on technique along.He has to get stronger, more gym work, he needs be able to get around the pitch quicker.

1 hour ago, Brenfox said:

This is going to be very unpopular but I'm glad others are starting to see it. He is the most overrated player I have ever seen in a City shirt. The way the pundits talk about him is ridiculous. 

He slows down our play constantly. He goes down clutching his ankle at the slightest touch. When he's tackled or loses the ball he just waves his arms around & shouts to the referee instead of trying to retrieve the ball. How about his extremely slow 'cant be arsed' stroll to take a corner which inevitably hits the first man? 

Like I said its unpopular but I simply do not rate him at all. We are a far better team without him. I've seen him around a few times too & he seems a massive bellend. I've never disliked one of our own players like this useless waster. I hope I'm proven wrong but I'd love us to get rid of this tool in January.

Wow

• Thanks 1