Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bevan

Maddison

2 hours ago, Brenfox said:

He slows down our play constantly. He goes down clutching his ankle at the slightest touch. When he's tackled or loses the ball he just waves his arms around & shouts to the referee instead of trying to retrieve the ball. How about his extremely slow 'cant be arsed' stroll to take a corner which inevitably hits the first man? 

I don't think anyone can disagree with this part of the post though :D

Such an over-reaction to his performance yesterday. Yes he was poor, as were the whole team. But before that match he was showing signs of being back to his creative best. Has suited the slower pace of the european matches a fair bit more so maybe that's a sign he is still not up to speed after injury.

• Like 2

He's better against the teams who sit back or who aren't top teams, always looks a good player then. If he plays against Braga in midweek he'll have a decent game.

He's not class yet, got a long way to go, really don't know why people were lauding him as a 100m+ player last season, but he's still more than good enough to be at this football club.

• Like 3

Disappointed to read this thread, so much negativity and singling out towards a very talented player. I like Madderz and although he didnt have the best of games yesterday he was no worse than some of the others.

Liverpool outplayed us and yes i'm sad we got trashed and it felt like we weren't trying, but can it not just be 'one of those days' and we just bow down to losing to the better side. We are not going to win every game and are still in a good position in the league. 

Coming off the back of some great wins, we shouldnt be ashamed to lose to one of the better sides in the world and it really doesnt warrant slagging off some of our better players, especially ones that are only recently back from injury. 

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

It's not unfair to say we looked better without him starting though. You might want to debate it but it's not an unreasonable assertion.

We have been brilliant in some of the games he hasn't started and he's made significant impacts when he's come on. He also has looked much better playing higher up the pitch in his starts in the Europa League.

I think its a case of him being very disjointed from injuries and us changing systems but he was looking much sharper recently, last night he was anonymous like a lot of them. He needs a strong season and he has to use last nights no show as fuel to keep improving.

• Like 2

Like the team in general, he's a bit too easy to intimidate. Not saying he's a luxury player, but too often he fades from sight when things are not going well. 

Not the only one of course - as Liverpool so painfully emphasised last night. 

The nature of last season's collapse is more evidence of our fallibility which unfortunately our good start does not really disguise. 

I find it slightly worrying, but still think we'll have a decent season. 

23 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It's not unfair to say we looked better without him starting though. You might want to debate it but it's not an unreasonable assertion.

Just seems like a case of correlation =/= causation for me, i remember at the start of the season when people were going on about how we were inexplicably better when perez starts then we did fine without him and now it's the same for maddison/praet, but the reality is that people are just lumping our entire struggles on one change in the side when we were poor all over the pitch and it's not like we even looked great against wolves and arsenal when praet was starting either, i might understand it if it was the difference between domination and a poor result but we actually had more chances against liverpool than the other two.

On 23/11/2020 at 11:20, GingerrrFox said:

Don’t think the 3-4-3/5-2-2-1 whatever you want to call it suits him. We look much better with either Praet or Under playing in the role opposite Barnes, flanking Vardy. Maddison is a player who needs to be in the centre of the pitch and constantly touching the ball and being in and around it. 

He’s a central midfielder in a 4-1-4-1 or a Number 10 in the 4-2-3-1 for me. Anytime he has responsibilities out wide he’s poor in my opinion. 

Absolutely agree with that and the bonus is, whatever formation we play, Rodgers has a range of options of who to play and where. Sometimes you just have to accept that to have a well balanced team in a particular formation, you have to pick the best players for that formation which sometimes means that you have to leave one or two of your better individual players out. A prime example would be trying to pick Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard in the same team and sticking Scholes on the left wing, it just doesn't work. It's a particular flaw of Rodgers and he needs to snap out of it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Absolutely agree with that and the bonus is, whatever formation we play, Rodgers has a range of options of who to play and where. Sometimes you just have to accept that to have a well balanced team in a particular formation, you have to pick the best players for that formation which sometimes means that you have to leave one or two of your better individual players out. A prime example would be trying to pick Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard in the same team and sticking Scholes on the left wing, it just doesn't work. It's a particular flaw of Rodgers and he needs to snap out of it. 

..the classic being the change of formation he has had to adopt due to players not being available!!!

Having great results and having to bring Maddison on slowly introducing him in the last 20 minutes of games,  suited us perfectly. Then that, being heralded as a masterstroke was ridiculous, it is not as if he conceived this formation or innovated the style of play.

If there was a team you would want to play every week it would be Man. City as Pep will not change and we play them with a block and on the counter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

..the classic being the change of formation he has had to adopt due to players not being available!!!

Having great results and having to bring Maddison on slowly introducing him in the last 20 minutes of games,  suited us perfectly. Then that, being heralded as a masterstroke was ridiculous, it is not as if he conceived this formation or innovated the style of play.

If there was a team you would want to play every week it would be Man. City as Pep will not change and we play them with a block and on the counter.

1 hour ago, adam95581 said:

What’s the link to Praet here? Are you saying the Praet has bulked up or that he also needs to? 

Genuinely curious. 

I meant it in the context that Madders needs to bulk up a bit more and not be so easily pushed off of the ball. I know he draws fouls but it does annoy me sometimes seeing him sitting on the floor waving his hands around when play has carried on. I just think he needs a bit more grit about him sometimes 😊 Praet is one of the more grittier players we have.

• Thanks 1