Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bevan

Maddison

This is in no way me blaming Maddison for our recent form or laying in to him as he has barely played. I just hope when he is back fit he can really pick up some form. Last season he was as good as Grealish at points and going toe to toe with him and was around the england squad. Now though Grealish has gone to another level and i just wonder if Maddison is capable of taking it up another level. On form he is definitely better than Mason Mount but Grealish i am not sure about. Just wondered what people thought?

• Like 1

I thought he was better than Grealish up to about half way through last season. Something seems missing from his game, he's never had much pace but it seems more evident now, same for Praet and Perez, too pedestrian. When we are relying on these to create its no wonder we are not scoring goals and drawn so many blanks this year. If Vardy is out we only have Barnes who can drive forward and not play safe.

That's not to say Maddison doesn't try to do that, he offers far more than Praet and Perez do. But he hogs the ball and his weight/timing of the pass is rarely right hence not a single assist this year.

He's been hindered by injury. Grealish has played a lot more than him in 2020 so is bound to look a bit better. Also the loss of Ricardo and Wilf isn't good for his game (or ours for that matter). 

Grealish is more intergal to Villa's play than Madders is to ours. He's more like Vardy in a way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, frany104 said:

Grealish has and always had been a better player. He makes things happen. Maddison is a good player but over rated. He’s nowhere near the levels of Grealish.

Don't agree with that. Grealish has pushed on in the last 10 months or so whereas Maddison has been a part of a struggling team and has had numerous knocks himself.

When they're both fit and firing I think Maddison is more than his equal.

• Thanks 1

I've said this before on here, madders was on par with Grealish last season but this season Grealish has taken it to a new level and madders hasn't, not sure if this is due to injuries etc but like someone else mentioned, Grealish lives and breathes Villa, he gives 100% every game, madders seems more interested in the social media game at the moment rather than actual football. He needs to rein in some of that social persona a little and concentrate on getting fit and catching up with Jack on footballing terms. We need Madders on top form desperately, to have that something extra in the final 3rd. Unfortunately Youri is very much hit and miss, once his head goes down its hard for him to get back up. 

• Like 1

Sometimes, I watch us play and think our midfield is the best in the league. Other times; like last night I just feel like we need a revamp and suddenly wouldn’t mind selling most of them and moving onto new signings. Maddison is one of those players for me.

Although... I do think it’s obvious we’re probably gonna sell him this summer. No doubt about it.

• Like 1

I think this is a fair post from the OP. He's not criticising Maddison, rather just pointing out something that is pretty clear to see - Grealish is currently a level above Maddison and he's done so from a position where they were both equal not so long ago. For me, there are two differences:

1. Fitness - pretty self explanatory and when Madders gets back playing again will sort itself out
  2. Bite - Grealish is far more aggressive than Madders and he carries this into his game. Even though they're both likely to play up for the free-kick, Grealish is able to mix it up a bit more and is just as likely to leave one on an opponent as he is to buy a free-kick out of nothing. Like it or not, this rubs off on the players around him and makes AV quite a difficult team to play against
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I think Grealish is quite clearly better than Maddison.

Yep, no doubt about it.

Carries the ball better and is much more direct/forceful.

I said last season I thought Grealish was better than Maddison. Grealish got more goals and assits in a side that spent the majority of the season in the bottom 3. Maddison played for a side that finished 5th and got about 3 assists all season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frany104 said:

Grealish has and always had been a better player. He makes things happen. Maddison is a good player but over rated. He’s nowhere near the levels of Grealish.

He's class. I mean he is a ****ing bellend, but you can't deny his quality. 

• Like 1

Madders has been much better under BR than he was Poohell, but he still has not really got going. I don't even think the lad is anywhere near fit, but we just can't afford to not have him on the bench. He's a different player to Grealish, Grealish has more pace and power about him Madders whilst not slow probably has similar technical ability, he just can't match Jack for pace and power, which is always a valuable asset to have. 

I just think we are still in a bit of a slump, even with the good opening to the season we had, we need key players back, and fit so we can get the cylinders firing and start to work as a tam again. This season is all going to be about the second half unfortunately, at the moment we have too many injuries to compete, I just hope we don't get sucked into a battle for survival so we can at least make a push for the top 6 in the last few months.