Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adejo92

AEK Athens (A) Europa League

9 hours ago, Craig said:

Doesn’t top miss a side dropping out of the CL? Could be quite significant.

I don't think so.

The CL 3rd placed sides are seeded (4 best, 4 worst). 

So we would still play a CL 3rd placed side, just not one of the 4 best ones if we finish top. Obviously if we finish runners-up, we could play one of those 4 best...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't think so.

The CL 3rd placed sides are seeded (4 best, 4 worst). 

So we would still play a CL 3rd placed side, just not one of the 4 best ones if we finish top. Obviously if we finish runners-up, we could play one of those 4 best...

Could be some really good teams dropping into Europa, and thats if all the big boys sort themselves out and go through, usually get at least one that bottles it and comes 3rd

Group A: Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Salzburg, Lokomotiv Moscow

Group B: Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Shakhtar, Borussia Monchengladbach

Group C: Man City, Marseille, Porto, Olympiakos

Group D: Atalanta, Liverpool, Ajax, Midtjyland

Group E: Chelsea, Sevilla, Rennes, Krasnodar

Group F: Dortmund, Zenit, Lazio, Club Brugge

Group G: Barcelona, Juventus, Dynamo, Ferencvarosi

Group H: Leipzig, Man Utd, PSG, Istanbul Basaksehir

In all of those teams there are probably only 5 that I would be confident in us being able to beat: Club Brugge, Dynamo, Ferencvarosi, Istanbul Basaksehir, Midtjyland

Realistically we really want every team listed last in their group above to finish 3rd

Got to play the best XI or near as damn it, win this game and we're almost certain to finish above Athens.

With five subs we can rotate depending on the game situation. I'd start Iheanacho and the best of the rest unless there is a player or two in badly in need of a rest. The group could look as good as done after these games so go for the win and put qualification to bed ASAP.

• Like 3

Rarely a fan of wholesale changes but would rest those that didn’t get much of a rest during the international break (Castagne, Evans, Tielemans) and vardy.

Schmeichel 

Justin

Fofana 

Morgan

Fuchs

Praet

Mendy

Maddison

Ünder 

Iheanacho

Barnes

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

The one player we should be resting is Youri.

His fitness has come on leaps and bounds since we first loaned him however, he still looks leggy and blowing after about 80mins. 

He's played throughout the international break so I would be resting him if we can.

You got a like, then I remembered what happened on 80 minutes last night.

I'll leave the like, I'm always generous. :D

Albrighton Iheanacho Under

Maddison Mendy Praet

Thomas Evans Fofana Justin

Schmeichel

Vardy, Barnes, Tielemans, and Castagne all get much needed rests, then we can rest Evans midweek next week. If we grab a solid early lead, chuck off Maddison, Evans, and Under for Choudhury, Perez, and Morgan, and shut up shop.

15 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I know and understand why people want Vardy to be rested for this but I really hope we get to see more of him in the Europa League.

He deserves to be playing on the european stage, even if it's the odd cameo.

He’ll play every game after (I hope) we qualify. Think he should be rested for Leeds this time though as he had a knock and we need him 100%.

Id play:

Kasper

Justin Forfana Morgan Fuchs

Hamza Mendy Praet

Maddison

Ianacho Perez

Think we need to rest Barnes, Youri, Evans, Castange and Vards.

JV is so crucial in how we play that I feel we need to change formation to get some creativity into it. If we’re resting YT(which I hope we do) we lack much creativity when just 1 up top, so relies on Vardys unique ability to make it work and wonder why we struggle if Barnes, Nacho or Perez play that role.

So instead I’d get them up top as a 2 together and see how they work. Maddison in the free role gives his chance to prove how he can do in Europe in his role.

Tight in midfield to cover better as I believe in a 2 both Mendy and Hamza would struggle so get Praets energy aside them.

Then at the back think it plays itself to rest Castange with a knock and Evans due to his age. Forfana is young and it’ll be good for him to work with the boys more and see how he adjusts and Morgan’s experience can help him, which in turn Forfanas engine can cover for aging Morgan. Fuchs in to allow Justin to move to cover for Castange.

A bench of : Vardy, Barnes, Albrighton, Under, Evans, Tielemens and Castange gives us great options if we need them, although I’d probably leave the 2 Belgians at home.

You have to rotate the squad if you're in Europe.  It doesn't mean you aren't taking the competition seriously - it means you're using common sense.  Kelechi can start up front and Vardy come on at the hour if needed.  I would think Evans and Castagne need a break - I wouldn't even have them travel.  And Praet can play Tielemans' role easily enough.  Under should probably start and play about an hour.

• Like 2

I think Athens have got a fair few injuries and they would be happy with a point according to one of there supporters, who was on Radio Leicester, he also thinks AEK will sit back and defend.

If true we have a great chance of winning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

You have to rotate the squad if you're in Europe.  It doesn't mean you aren't taking the competition seriously - it means you're using common sense.  Kelechi can start up front and Vardy come on at the hour if needed.  I would think Evans and Castagne need a break - I wouldn't even have them travel.  And Praet can play Tielemans' role easily enough.  Under should probably start and play about an hour.

Unfortunately, we already only have 18 players available for this game and three of them are goalkeepers. 
If 2 players were left behind we would only be able to name 3 outfield players on the subs bench.

Edited by Aus Fox

9 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Rarely a fan of wholesale changes but would rest those that didn’t get much of a rest during the international break (Castagne, Evans, Tielemans) and vardy.

Schmeichel 

Justin

Fofana 

Morgan

Fuchs

Praet

Mendy

Maddison

Ünder 

Iheanacho

Barnes

Morgan and Fuchs together far to slow.

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Unfortunately, we already only have 18 players available for this game and three of them are goalkeepers. 
If 2 players were left behind we would only be able to name 3 outfield players on the subs bench.

As much as this is true, I didn’t understand why I our short bench last week wasn’t supplemented with youngsters and the likes of Tavares or Fitzhugh who I presume are on the B list?

also is Thomas back for this one??

5 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

As much as this is true, I didn’t understand why I our short bench last week wasn’t supplemented with youngsters and the likes of Tavares or Fitzhugh who I presume are on the B list?

also is Thomas back for this one??

I believe it’s all to do with the bubble - first team players and the youth teams are kept separate. 

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I agree with everything you said other than Evans and Castagne not travelling. Our available players numbers is small as it is, plus you can always get an injury in the warm up, so we need Evans and Castagne there incase we need them at some point in the game.

Looking forward to seeing Under start too.

Hopefully Perez and Albrighton have decent games too.