Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adejo92

AEK Athens (A) Europa League

52 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Surprised by how many people want to rest players.

I'd rather we rested players for the Leeds if they need a rest.

We can recover from dropping 3 points vs Leeds and still have a good season. Lose to Athens and we have a fight on our hands to qualify from this group. If we win and assuming Braga beat Zorya that sends out the message that Zorya and AEK are just fighting for 3rd. Psychologically it is massive for the group and allows us to rest players closer to Christmas. Lose and pressure is on against Braga and could come down to a showdown with Athens as we go into the busy festive period.

As strong as we can without risking anyone's fitness. Rest against Leeds if needed then strong team for Braga, win them both and qualification is virtually guaranteed.

Absolutely this. Said it earlier in the thread. Much rather drop a few points in this tricky run - especially having secured 3 against Arsenal - but get the EL group sewn up in time for 3 winnables against Brighton, Fulham and Sheffield. 

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Destroyed myself I see.  :facepalm: At 5:30 am after not much sleep.

The morning coco pops were tidy and delicious though, I’m relieved to report.

Everyone has done it mate. Move on and laugh it off nobody's been hurt.👍

53 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Destroyed myself I see.  :facepalm: At 5:30 am after not much sleep.

The morning coco pops were tidy and delicious though, I’m relieved to report.

Admirable recovery post.  

Don't trust muesli.  Rabbits might have got in.

• Haha 1

Thinking about Leeds game?

"No. We see it as an important competition. All of the players who are available are fit and have travelled."

Rodgers on last trip to AEK with Celtic

"The last time I was here it was a fantastic atmosphere. We were just disappointed. I spoke about the great atmosphere the last time I was here and it’s a shame they won’t get to sample that. But we’re here to do a job and we have full focus on that.”

Rodgers on Vardy

“He’s available. The plan was to play him in the last 30 minutes of the game. You saw the dynamic change when he was on the field. He’s travelled and is available to play if selected.”

Rodgers on team selection

“There’s absolutely no doubt that all the team that are playing in Europe, it’s a hectic schedule. There’s no way on Earth that 11 players could get through every game. That’s the same thinking for tomorrow. Specific positions will require change but we want to keep the fluency. However, we need the energy in the team.”

Rodgers on what to expect from AEK

“Luhansk played 4-4-2 diamond and they were aggressive in their game. AEK play a 4-3-3 or a 5-3-2 too. You expect a big test here. Whichever system they play, it will be a big test for us.”

Rodgers on his best 11

“When you have one game a week, it’s a lot easier picking teams, but when you’re in European football, you’re best 11 is the 11 you pick for the game. I’ve been delighted with how the guys have performed. What we’re finding in this period with players who haven’t played so much, like Papy Mendy and James Justin, they were sat outside a lot last year. Now you can see the importance of them. When we get the guys back, like Ricardo, Ndidi, and Cags, we will be much better as a squad, because a lot of the other guys are getting a lot of game-time/ You’re picking the best 11 foe the next game and I have a trust in the whole squad. That feeling is redundant when you’re in a competition with so many games. All of the players are getting up to speed.”

9 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Is Mendy injured?  The BBC says he is...

"Full-back Ricardo Pereira is out with an Achilles injury while Caglar Soyuncu and Wilfred Ndidi (both groin) and Nampalys Mendy (thigh) are also out."

I just noticed this. First I've heard of it. If so he will be a big miss after his performances so far. Suppose Hamza will have to play if true. 

37 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

"Full-back Ricardo Pereira is out with an Achilles injury while Caglar Soyuncu and Wilfred Ndidi (both groin) and Nampalys Mendy (thigh) are also out."

Rodgers was quoted saying we have no fresh injury concerns. Don’t know where this has come from. 

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1879185/vardy-in-contention-for-aek-test-says-rodgers

Edited by EverybodyDannsNow
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Well, it's not Ricardo's Achilles for a start, which casts some doubt on the accuracy of the report

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

"There’s absolutely no doubt that all the team that are playing in Europe, it’s a hectic schedule. There’s no way on Earth that 11 players could get through every game. That’s the same thinking for tomorrow. Specific positions will require change but we want to keep the fluency. However, we need the energy in the team.”

Whilst I know Rodgers is not an idiot, it's still very reassuring to hear that we aren't going to just play our best 11 in every Europa game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Absolutely this. Said it earlier in the thread. Much rather drop a few points in this tricky run - especially having secured 3 against Arsenal - but get the EL group sewn up in time for 3 winnables against Brighton, Fulham and Sheffield. 

star-wars-the-last-jedi-admiral-ackbar-raddus-rogue-one-1068764-1280x0.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Would love it if Thomas started tomorrow, really deserves it too IMO.

Looks like Rodgers will be resting 3 or 4 as predicted then, they can always come on at HT or a bit later if needed.

Not being funny here, but on what basis does he deserve to start? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

he may have been brilliant in training ??

i reckon he needs a start ..... when did he last play in a competitive domestic game at any level ?? 

Last game of last season wasn’t it. 

7 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It'd be great for his development.

Yeah look at how those young players careers have taken off after they were hammered by Porto in the Champions League...

Edit - actually after checking the lineup again we went for a quite experienced side with the only young player thrown on being Harvey Barnes. His career rocketed after that, which kind of defeats my point. 

Also they had Jota upfront that game. Forgot he played for them...

Edited by Collymore
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Yeah look at how those young players careers have taken off after they were hammered by Porto in the Champions League...

Barnes, Chillwell and Gray? 

Barnes is one of our most dangerous players at the moment.

Chilwell just bagged the club 50 mill 

Gray had potential at the time.

You can't compare one result away to a regular champions league team who still had something to play for, when we didn't - to a europa league away game where you are rotating the squad sensibly because of the fixture congestion. 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike