Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

6 hours ago, Nalis said:

When foreign teams sound like English words such as 'Braga' 'Deportivo Wanka' 'Basel' 'Nice', etc, does Leicester translate or sound like into anything mildly amusing in a foreign tongue?

I think about the phonology/etymology of Leicester semi-regularly. It’s not clear exactly how the name came about but it’s thought to be Brythonic so it’s quite an ancient name with no obvious link to modern languages. 

On a loosely related note, it’s claimed (dubiously) that Leicester was the birthplace of modern English 

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

I think about the phonology/etymology of Leicester semi-regularly. It’s not clear exactly how the name came about but it’s thought to be Brythonic so it’s quite an ancient name with no obvious link to modern languages. 

On a loosely related note, it’s claimed (dubiously) that Leicester was the birthplace of modern English 

This from Wiki:

The name of Leicester comes from Old English. It is first recorded in Latinised form in the early ninth century as Legorensis civitatis and in Old English itself in an Anglo-Saxon Chronicle entry for 924 as Ligera ceastre (and, in various spellings, frequently thereafter). In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is recorded as Ledecestre.[7]

The first element of the name is the name of a people, the Ligore (whose name appears in Ligera ceastre in the genitive plural form); their name came in turn from the river Ligor (now the River Soar), the origin of whose name is uncertain but thought to be from Brittonic (possibly cognate with the name of the Loire).[7][8][9][10]

The second element of the name is the Old English word ceaster ("(Roman) fort, fortification, town", itself borrowed from Latin castrum).[7]

A list of British cities in the ninth-century History of the Britons includes one Cair Lerion; Leicester has been proposed as the place to which this refers (and the Welsh name for Leicester is Caerlŷr). But this identification is not certain.[11]

Based on the Welsh name (given as Kaerleir), Geoffrey of Monmouth proposes a king Leir of Britain as an eponymous founder in his Historia Regum Britanniae (12th century).[12]

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Fly season in rural WA is a total fvcking pain

Does this coincide with massive spider season? How do you cope with the giant spiders? The conker size spiders here in the UK are enough to give me a heart attack.

13 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Does this coincide with massive spider season? How do you cope with the giant spiders? The conker size spiders here in the UK are enough to give me a heart attack.

:) spider season is all year round.

We dont often come across huge ones here, just the occasional large huntsman. The smaller ones are quite often more concerning as they are venomous and live in/around homes :)

This little chap is the local redback (Black Widow) which live in and around outdoor furniture and wood piles etc. pretty much everywhere

2. Redback spider - The world's most dangerous spiders (WARNING GRAPHIC  IMAGES) - CBS News

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

We dont often come across huge ones here, just the occasional large huntsman. The smaller ones are quite often more concerning as they are venomous and live in/around homes :)

This little chap is the local redback (Black Widow) which live in and around outdoor furniture and wood piles etc. pretty much everywhere

2. Redback spider - The world's most dangerous spiders (WARNING GRAPHIC  IMAGES) - CBS News

Black widows look terrifying but I think I could cope with the small but deadly. I just can’t imagine how scared I’d be if I saw a large huntsman running along the wall. They’re like bigger than a hand right? 😩

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Don’t know if this is a stupid question or not but say you were to find one of those god-awful bastards above in your garden/home, or even worse, a huntsman, what do you do? 

I doubt you have the luxury (not that I can go near them anyway) of getting the Kleenex out and throwing them out of the nearest window. 

30 minutes ago, Manini said:

Don’t know if this is a stupid question or not but say you were to find one of those god-awful bastards above in your garden/home, or even worse, a huntsman, what do you do? 

I doubt you have the luxury (not that I can go near them anyway) of getting the Kleenex out and throwing them out of the nearest window. 

The Huntsman is harmless, ill always catch and release. (They very rarely get super big)

If i see a redback anywhere that is likely a threat, ( eg Outdoor Chairs, Toys, Table etc), then i will kill. If its just in my shed or around the garden, ill generally just leave it. They have an anti venom now and no one has died from a bite for many years.

Same applies for snakes etc, if they are away from the house and not looking like a threat, ill just ignore and let people know ive seen one, so they can be aware, they are a protected species, so technically its illegal to kill them :)

Edited by ozleicester
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone else finding working from home a bit boring now?

I quite liked when I had my wife and kids about, but, I’m on my tod now and the dogs don’t say too much…. 

I thoroughly enjoy my own company, but, would like to see people more often…!

On 31/10/2020 at 17:32, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I lost half a stone on the throne last night, didn't even have to push, scandalous form.

To get back on topic in this thread .... I'm surprised no one has mentioned an enema 

If anyone has had one they'll know this is really serious shit !

12 hours ago, Ecdysiast said:

Anyone know how to change the font size here... Mine is somehow set now to a huge shouty magnifiying glass and light combo. Fully expect to be sent bed tray and hearing aid after reaching 100 rep points

image.thumb.png.e7e318b89f71cf101de20976ecaf336a.png

• Thanks 1

On 06/11/2020 at 07:46, Buce said:

This from Wiki:

The name of Leicester comes from Old English. It is first recorded in Latinised form in the early ninth century as Legorensis civitatis and in Old English itself in an Anglo-Saxon Chronicle entry for 924 as Ligera ceastre (and, in various spellings, frequently thereafter). In the Domesday Book of 1086, it is recorded as Ledecestre.[7]

The first element of the name is the name of a people, the Ligore (whose name appears in Ligera ceastre in the genitive plural form); their name came in turn from the river Ligor (now the River Soar), the origin of whose name is uncertain but thought to be from Brittonic (possibly cognate with the name of the Loire).[7][8][9][10]

The second element of the name is the Old English word ceaster ("(Roman) fort, fortification, town", itself borrowed from Latin castrum).[7]

A list of British cities in the ninth-century History of the Britons includes one Cair Lerion; Leicester has been proposed as the place to which this refers (and the Welsh name for Leicester is Caerlŷr). But this identification is not certain.[11]

Based on the Welsh name (given as Kaerleir), Geoffrey of Monmouth proposes a king Leir of Britain as an eponymous founder in his Historia Regum Britanniae (12th century).[12]

Read something recently (can't remember where unfortunately) that casts some doubt on that 'Ligor' or 'Legore' root being to do with the river name (and there is a river Leire in Leicestershire - down Lutterworth way, I think).

The Caerlyr link in Welsh seems to point to King Lear - why would the Welsh otherwise have a name for Leicester, unless it's Britonnic ie pre-Roman? 

JB Priestley,  in his 'English Journey', certainly favoured the King Lear explanation. 

And it just sounds more likely. And quite often the more likely sounding explanation is the correct one. 

Maybe King Richard isn't the only monarch buried beneath our streets? 

(I've always thought he might be under the Holiday Inn).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Friday the 13th today. Did anyone have anything weird happen ?

Yeah.

There was some bloke on a football forum I frequent who was implying a random configuration of day and date has some kind of mystical meaning...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Friday the 13th today. Did anyone have anything weird happen ?

My brother got married to his gf at his own home and i wasnt invited because of covid restrictions.  Its not the covid restrictioma that are weird,  its the getting up in the morning and then walking into your living room and getting married part. Just odd lol

On 06/11/2020 at 17:14, ozleicester said:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Why has the "Miss Universe" competition only ever been won by contestants from earth?

Fraudulent mail-in votes ignored by the lamestream media.

If you take away the illegal votes, Miss Alpha Centauri wins by a landslide.

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1