Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Leeds (Away) Match Thread - 02/11/2020

2 minutes ago, 1964w said:

Our three Spanish international signings unavailable 

Rodrigo (Covid protocol)

Raphinha & Llorente both injured

Fortunately from a Leeds point of view Pablo Hernandez (class) replaces Rodrigo & our captain Liam Cooper returns

Pablo looked quality in the doco 

I'm hoping, like Sheffield United at the end of last season, a weaker/ decimated defence brings out the best in the rest which is still strong.

We seriously need to look at our methods though, far too many injuries currently.

Type of lineup my useless assistant on Champ Man would come up with after I'd gone on holiday and forgot to tick "keep the current lineup and formation" box. Think it was retaliation for the endless friendlies I asked him to arrange last minute. 

• Haha 2

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

What other choices do we have? Look at the state of that defence!

I'm sorry but this is horse shit tbh. 

As a "tactics aficionado" you should know you defend collectively as a team, you don't play three, four or five defenders you play eleven. 

Defending isn't only what personnel are on the pitch it's the entire way you approach the match, it's how you set your shape, it's where the space is, it's how you press, it's how familiar the squad is with operating how you envisage. 

If we keep trying to park the bus and invite pressure with a "back five" that's made up of four full backs, a nitneen year old and a winger we're going to be inviting danger. 

Maddison and Under playing in a 4231 with Mendy and Tielemans shielding the back four not only gives you the protection to cover a centre back pairing of Morgan and the kid it also gives you the presence in the midfield and further up the pitch to actually retain possession and minimise their opportunities by doing so. 

Moreover, a typical 4231 set up to play "tiki taka" has typically worked defensively because of the even distribution of players all round the pitch ready to press and win it back. 

Like I said, I absolutely think it could work, I absolutely think we can probably shut Leeds out and get away with fluking a Vardy win on the counter, especially if Barnes is up for it. 

We might win this and Rodgers will be celebrated as a genius again (while this forum continues to call Nuno a flukey fraud) but its definitely not the only choice we have and I don't begrudge anyone being disappointed by it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I like the lineup and think it's the sensible way to play, with Braga being the biggest game of the week. Always want to win in the Premier League, but 3 points at home to Braga and we are probably through already in Europe.

As we proved against Arsenal and Man City, we can hit teams on the break and still win games, but conserve energy and manage our injuries at the same time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

The Fof is going to have to boss it. I fear this is another behind the ball job and pray for a fast break. Brendan has regressed so much in his tactics.

I think injuries are affecting the tactics, I could be wrong though.