Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Liverpool (A).. early thoughts.

We played right into their hands on Boxing Day, the setup (which seemed to involve letting TAA have the freedom of the pitch) was absolutely suicidal.

Rodgers has shown he’s not afraid to adopt a more reactive approach now in these sorts of games. 

Liverpool should still win but I would be very surprised if they steam-rollered us.

31 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

well that was really positive Fox 92 - well done.

I like to think I'm honest tbf. Sometimes I'm positive, sometimes I'm negative. I don't think we'll go to Anfield and win which is my honest opinion.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

well that was really positive Fox 92 - well done.

To be fair, before the season the started he was one of the few that wasn't having a meltdown and suggesting that we'd be in a relegation battle. Can let him off the hook for this one ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we'll give them as much of the ball as boxing day. I think the way we are playing will help us cope with moments of pressure. Hopefully our back three will counteract their front free, with Mendy breaking them down further up. Their defence isn't as stable, and Vardy will thrive against their high line. I'm always prone to optimism and while it will be a struggle, I believe we have a good chance to get a decent result.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gravy Fox said:

I don't think we'll give them as much of the ball as boxing day. I think the way we are playing will help us cope with moments of pressure. Hopefully our back three will counteract their front free, with Mendy breaking them down further up. Their defence isn't as stable, and Vardy will thrive against their high line. I'm always prone to optimism and while it will be a struggle, I believe we have a good chance to get a decent result.

So you think we will have more possession than at Man City and arsenal?  I suggest brendan will play exactly the same way and challenge klopp to break us down without conceding. can they do what Man City and arsenal failed to do? 

their performance Boxing Day was the best athletic display I’ve seen at our place ....they were physically phenomenal that evening - they saw us as a threat to their title dream and in the end, they firmly put us in our place. 

given that we will still be missing many first choice players, I don’t see brendan being anything other than pragmatic ....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So you think we will have more possession than at Man City and arsenal?  I suggest brendan will play exactly the same way and challenge klopp to break us down without conceding. can they do what Man City and arsenal failed to do? 

their performance Boxing Day was the best athletic display I’ve seen at our place ....they were physically phenomenal that evening - they saw us as a threat to their title dream and in the end, they firmly put us in our place. 

given that we will still be missing many first choice players, I don’t see brendan being anything other than pragmatic ....

I completely agree. If we try and take them on in a possession game, it won't end well. 

Although we have drew up some brilliant results, we haven't been on fire for the full 90 minutes and both the Wolves and Leeds games could easily have been different results.

We will need every single player playing their best game when we play these although with the confidence we have currently, if we are ever going to get anything from these, its now.

Even with a loss,  we need to pick ourselves up and move on to our next victim.

Three things we need to happen in the next two weeks if we are to ‘get a result’ at Anfield.

1) no more injuries on international duty

2) ‘Lawro’ to get back to predicting Liverpool wins

3) Rodgers to mention in his pre-match press conference (and therefore start a media narrative that is guaranteed to influence the match officials ) that Mane and Salah “go to ground too easily”.

49 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Our fifth sub, Hamza comes on in the 91st minute, slides straight through Mane, getting the ball, where it trickles through to Youri to play a perfect ball to Barnes who rinses Milner and lays it on a plate for Vardy to head across the grass and it slow death rolls into the net

it is known 

Then it's rolled back through VAR for the 'foul' on Mane which is actually a legit tackle and a penalty is given even though it's quite clearly outside the box.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Then it's rolled back through VAR for the 'foul' on Mane which is actually a legit tackle and a penalty is given even though it's quite clearly outside the box.

This also is known :(

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, whitlock said:

I see the fixture is on a Saturday, 3pm KO currently.

I presume nothing has been announced for TV scheduling and this will get moved?

Yes - there is talk that PPV will be gone after the break so the games will need to be stretched out although can’t be Monday ....

If we play 343 we have a chance not only to nick something but to win the game. From the tactics thread earlier:

Against Man City Liverpool played a 4231 that transitioned into a 424 yesterday, playing both Firmino and Jota:

image.png.44d4ab034703d395d87989b0ca5c98f7.png

They left acres of space in behind their front line, but that is as terrifying a front 4 as you are going to see in world football right now. I thought Jota would be a good player but the start he has made for them has been absurd, you can see that the defensive nature of Wolves held him back a lot, and he's tormented us many times down the years. But if we have Castagne back then I think between him and JJ we should be able to give their wide players a good battle. There's even a rumour that Ricardo could be back for this one, but for me he is too important to risk bringing back early.

I suspect we will play Barnes instead of Praet and have him stand on Wijnaldum when we don't have the ball. We will have to ride the pressure, but just like against Man City, Arsenal and Leeds if our attacking players are on it there are goals to be had against Liverpool, who do not look as strong as they did last season.

• Like 1