Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Liverpool (A).. early thoughts.

7 hours ago, ceredigion said:

There are some eerie similarities with the start of the 2000/01 season under Peter Taylor. City went top of the Premier League for the first time ever and top of the league for the first time since the 1930s after 8 games. I still have the league table clipping from a newspaper at the time because I had never seen us in that position before and did not expect to see us in it again. But in that season, like this one, the 8th game was followed by a 2 week break for international football and the next game was Liverpool away, which City lost. I think Heskey got the winner. 

Taylor managed to hold things together for a few more months and we were still 4th in March after beating Liverpool at home, But then came the Wycombe match in the FA Cup and the club went into a tailspin from which it took more than a decade to recover.

I'm not saying that history will repeat itself. I don't think it will but I don't like the parallels. 

The huge problem was losing Neil Lennon. It’s always talked about that the Wycombe defeat crushed us and that was the reason but the reality was we were not the same without a Lennon.

He was vital to how we played, we lost our heart and lost our engine room.

I don’t see many parallels here but could happen should we lose one of our irreplaceable players to injury or in January(Forfana, Vardy and Tielemens equivalent to say Lennon Izzet and Heskey back then).

• Like 2

I think Liverpool are there to be got at. No AA VVD and Fabinho, injuries that are crucial and give us a genuine sniff.

Our formation will be perfect for this game I think and I’m sure BR will stick to it. Hopefully no more injuries over the next 2 weeks!

My line up would be:

Kasper

Albrighton Forfana Evans Justin Castange

Mendy Tielemens
    Maddison    Vardy       Barnes

I think Albrighton has to play, he will be more experienced and disciplined at dealing with Robertson’s runs. Forfana RCB that side will help more than Justin imo so put Justin LCB and Evans in CB.

Castange lwb because he could cause havoc vs the Trent replacement.

Same middle although Praet on for Mendy 2nd half when he usually gets over run around 60 mins.

Id of liked to get Madders in the hole but RWF it has to be. He has to play in this game, he can buy free kicks and twist and turn which will be needed here. Under to come on either around 60 or earlier if losing earlier.

Vardy and Barnes both have to play.

We have enough to actually win the game and make a real statement. Ricardo and Ndidi in this team for Albrighton and a Mendy and your starting to look like a Premier league winning team with an incredible spine, combination of strength, pace, youth and deadly finishing.

Making my mouth water thinking about Ndidi, Tielemens and Forfana in the spine with Ricardo and Castange as our flying wing backs. Impenetrable!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Set up like we did at MCFC. Frustrate them. Counter.

We'll get chances because they're not the Liverpool of last season right now.

Being pragmatic, I'd take a draw.

This is the only way we can play them right now. They will be very confident after last season where they not only beat us but frankly completely embarassed us. The gap in quality was simply enormous. Yes they have a couple of key injuries but they have the squad to cope with it.

Last season we allowed them far too much time on the ball and they dominated the midfield. You just can't give them any space and you have to get in their faces a bit too.

I'd be delighted with a draw but it is hard to see past a Liverpool win. Ok they had that freak result  against Villa but that apart have looked very good again this season.

Edited by reynard

9 hours ago, ceredigion said:

There are some eerie similarities with the start of the 2000/01 season under Peter Taylor. City went top of the Premier League for the first time ever and top of the league for the first time since the 1930s after 8 games. I still have the league table clipping from a newspaper at the time because I had never seen us in that position before and did not expect to see us in it again. But in that season, like this one, the 8th game was followed by a 2 week break for international football and the next game was Liverpool away, which City lost. I think Heskey got the winner. 

Taylor managed to hold things together for a few more months and we were still 4th in March after beating Liverpool at home, But then came the Wycombe match in the FA Cup and the club went into a tailspin from which it took more than a decade to recover.

I'm not saying that history will repeat itself. I don't think it will but I don't like the parallels. 

Just to correct a few things, our first game after the international break was the 3-0 home defeat to Manchester United. Then we lost at away at Liverpool.

That team had really were not very good and I couldn’t believe they were top of the league, we mugged off West Ham I remember th Rey battered us for 90 mins despite being down to 10

men and we stole it 1-0 - they missed some brilliant chances that day.

After that we lost Lennon, and that was that for that team we replaced him with Lee Marshall and Junior Lewis.

Other than being top going into the international break I can’t see any parallels.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ceredigion said:

The difference now is we have a great team and squad, a manager that has a focus and a striker in Jamie Vardy who scored goals

With Peter Taylor, he quickly dismantled O’Neill’s team, pretty much lost the dressing room, signed a load of shit, and had a striker called Ade Akinbiyi.

I wouldn’t worry

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fox42 said:

Last time Liverpool lost at Anfield in the PL was back in April 2017 vs Palace. This record has to come to an end and I’m confident...

Wont be the first time we've smashed them on a long home run.

1-2 again will do.

1 hour ago, NewquayFox said:

Got a feeling Evans won’t be fit for this game, might just have Castagne ready though so a bit of a reshuffle required...:scarf:

Could well be the case if he plays 3 times for NI whilst carrying an injury. If Lil' Wes is also struggling we could have a problem. Fuchs must play given the form he's in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ceredigion said:

Can’t disagree with this anymore than I do. Whatever ‘eerie similarities’ you state fundamentally we were playing awful football and a few results went our way. Compared to now that team was utter dross and anyone who watched us play in that period wouldn’t have been surprised we capitulated so quickly once everyone realised how shit we actually were. 

As of now, this team deserve to be top as we are playing excellent football packed with a team of high achievers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I think Liverpool are there to be got at. No AA VVD and Fabinho, injuries that are crucial and give us a genuine sniff.

Our formation will be perfect for this game I think and I’m sure BR will stick to it. Hopefully no more injuries over the next 2 weeks!

My line up would be:

Kasper

Albrighton Forfana Evans Justin Castange

Mendy Tielemens
    Maddison    Vardy       Barnes

I think Albrighton has to play, he will be more experienced and disciplined at dealing with Robertson’s runs. Forfana RCB that side will help more than Justin imo so put Justin LCB and Evans in CB.

Castange lwb because he could cause havoc vs the Trent replacement.

Same middle although Praet on for Mendy 2nd half when he usually gets over run around 60 mins.

Id of liked to get Madders in the hole but RWF it has to be. He has to play in this game, he can buy free kicks and twist and turn which will be needed here. Under to come on either around 60 or earlier if losing earlier.

Vardy and Barnes both have to play.

We have enough to actually win the game and make a real statement. Ricardo and Ndidi in this team for Albrighton and a Mendy and your starting to look like a Premier league winning team with an incredible spine, combination of strength, pace, youth and deadly finishing.

Making my mouth water thinking about Ndidi, Tielemens and Forfana in the spine with Ricardo and Castange as our flying wing backs. Impenetrable!

Add Vardy/Barnes/Madders to that.  Thats not a just a spine mate thats a TEAM!!

Whilst all the news about Ricardo, Soyuncu and Castagne being much closer to a return is very positive and exciting, I'd expect only Castagne will be considered for this as he's missed the least amount of football and had the least serious injury which he's recovered from on schedule. Even just having one of those three back hugely improves our options at the back. 

Liverpool have ground out some good results this season but their aura of invincibility is lessened, they have dropped 7 more points than this time last year already, and have taken a vicious right hook in the 7-2 at Villa. With Trent joining VVD sat on the side lines, there is definitely goals in it for us. If Rodgers and his team can pull together another coherent game plan and the players come back from the break playing to the same level I think we've got every chance of getting something here. I suspect we'll hear all about 'injury stricken' and 'injury ravaged' Liverpool both pre-match and if we do get something, whilst conveniently ignoring we've had to manage without 3-4 first team starters per week since about July.

38 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I dreamt last night we won 3-2. Went 1 up, then behind before two late goals. Get your bets on. 

Funny you should say that. 

I had a dream last night where I was walking down Tudor Rd looking for a factory I was supposed to be working at. Couldn't find it, so I went into a corner shop to enquire.

On the counter was a Sports Mercury (!) With the headline: 'Anfield record broken'.

Don't think I'll be putting any money on it though. 

11 hours ago, ceredigion said:

That team makes me feel ill! Akinbiyi upfront compared to vardy. Come on cheer up! So far away from that team it’s scary! 

Any thoughts on when this will be? 

I'd assumed no games had been scheduled yet, but Premier League website is showing that the 12:30 and 5:30 slots on Saturday and the 2pm and 4:30pm slots on Sunday are picked already.

There won't be any Friday night fixtures as Internationals don't end until Wednesday, and there wont be a Monday night slot for this game as Liverpool play on the Wednesday.

Guessing we might be squeezed into Saturday 8pm?

Edited by AjcW

14 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'd assumed no games had been scheduled yet, but Premier League website is showing that the 12:30 and 5:30 slots on Saturday and the 2pm and 4:30pm slots on Sunday are picked already.

There won't be any Friday night fixtures as Internationals don't end until Wednesday, and there wont be a Monday night slot for this game as Liverpool play on the Wednesday.

More than likely yeah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Saturday 3pm.
According to US television schedule (10am NYC time).