Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Liverpool (A).. early thoughts.

There's no way Brendan is not going to play to keep this tight with men behind the ball, given we've beaten Wolves, Arsenal and Man City playing this way.

If he comes out and commits men forward vs Liverpool then he has learnt nothing, and all the evidence this season suggests he has learnt and is working on us being more adaptable depending on who we are playing.

I think we will score first, they will get frustrated and come at us, leading to us getting another with a ball over the top to JV, they get one back from a long ranger from Fabinho or Wijnaldum, and then we will finish them off on the break.

37 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Saturday 3pm.
According to US television schedule (10am NYC time).

Yeah that's just because it hasn't been scheduled yet. There's currently 4 games scheduled for 3pm.

But as we know all games will now be televised so you'd imagine there will be one moved to an 8pm, and then one moved to lunchtime so that there's no more than two televised options at one time. 

18 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

There's no way Brendan is not going to play to keep this tight with men behind the ball, given we've beaten Wolves, Arsenal and Man City playing this way.

If he comes out and commits men forward vs Liverpool then he has learnt nothing, and all the evidence this season suggests he has learnt and is working on us being more adaptable depending on who we are playing.

I think we will score first, they will get frustrated and come at us, leading to us getting another with a ball over the top to JV, they get one back from a long ranger from Fabinho or Wijnaldum, and then we will finish them off on the break.

sounds good.

18 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

VAR and a Mane dive will screw us over.

Tend to agree.  The Germans were very competent undersea Mariners and excellent at 'diving'.   We will get picked off if the game is close.

21 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Looks like Cags and Timmy Chestnuts should be available.  May be even Ricardo?

i'm certain that cags and ricky wont feature 

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

we didn't beat wolves playing that way ??

Edited by st albans fox

The last 3 wins in the league has sort of allowed this to be a bit of a free hit, no one will expect us to get anything really, as has been said the system we are using at the minute and allowing other teams the possesion and being defensively the most solid we have for quite a while, means we may well come away from this with a point, potentially all 3, however this is going to be the biggest test for us should we stick with 3 at the back and wing backs, if we can manage to get something from this with the same formation it would give me all the confidence in the world going into every matchday from here on in

1 hour ago, squarez said:

Are you perhaps confusing Mane with Sane? Mane isn't German.

There's silly me thinking Liverpool were coached by a 'German'.  I must try harder.

1 hour ago, copunk said:

The last 3 wins in the league has sort of allowed this to be a bit of a free hit, no one will expect us to get anything really, as has been said the system we are using at the minute and allowing other teams the possesion and being defensively the most solid we have for quite a while, means we may well come away from this with a point, potentially all 3, however this is going to be the biggest test for us should we stick with 3 at the back and wing backs, if we can manage to get something from this with the same formation it would give me all the confidence in the world going into every matchday from here on in

I disagree, We are expected to give them a game and potentially beat them. It’s not like we’re little underdogs anymore.

Depends on our injuries, if Forfana and Evans are ok, Castange back and Vardy Madders and Barnes in attack, combined with their key injuries, there is absolutely no reason we can’t make a statement that we’re here to stay this year.

21 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Unpopular opinion but would not play Fuchs in this game. Would have fofana, Evans and Justin as the 3 cb. Pace needed against their forward line. Hopefully Ricardo and castagne will be back. If Ricardo isn’t would start albrighton. 

The who will play as LB/LWB instead of Justin?

Last year I sat in a Bar in Spain thinking we got this, only to see us get battered, so if we come away with any sort of repectable result this time around I'll be happy and 11 games from Nov 26 - til - Jan 2 is absotute madness for a squad our size  :mad:

7 hours ago, AjcW said:

Any thoughts on when this will be? 

I'd assumed no games had been scheduled yet, but Premier League website is showing that the 12:30 and 5:30 slots on Saturday and the 2pm and 4:30pm slots on Sunday are picked already.

There won't be any Friday night fixtures as Internationals don't end until Wednesday, and there wont be a Monday night slot for this game as Liverpool play on the Wednesday.

Guessing we might be squeezed into Saturday 8pm?

Or Sunday 7.15pm like we've had a couple of times already...

23 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Or Sunday 7.15pm like we've had a couple of times already...

Get the feeling they might cave to Liverpool moaning and give them more time to recover for their Wednesday game 

10 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Could well be the case if he plays 3 times for NI whilst carrying an injury. If Lil' Wes is also struggling we could have a problem. Fuchs must play given the form he's in. 

Fuchs is playing like he did in 2016, brilliant... :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

Salah and Mane get sent off for diving 1st half and Firminio goes early in the 2nd half for an elbow. 

We hang on for a 0-0

Haha lol

You still have to account for Jota, who’s looking a top signing for them.
But if they go down to 9 men (even 10), it’ll be criminal not to smash ‘em!

22 hours ago, twister said:

that mane will dive for a pen again

wont forget why marc didn't smash it into the stands last year.

22 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

not the Brendan way, smashing it into the stands. He should have done it though 😉

I think Kasper should have called for it and claimed it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ajthefox said:

If I'm not mistaken, yesterday was the first time they've started their usual front 3 and Jota and I don't think it'll be a very regular line-up for them. In some ways, I think they were worse for their setup yesterday - even with Jota's great start they're having to learn to play a slightly different way. One thing I've learnt watching a lot of Liverpool these last couple of years is that Mane, Salah and Firminho have a fantastic understanding of each other, particular in terms of movement. Everyone knows exactly what they are doing in that 4-3-3, and the importance of that is not talked about enough (in the league in general) I think.

As good as we've been I think we've been a little fortuitous not to have conceded more goals early on in games than we have at this point but this Liverpool team is just a completely different challenge to what we have faced so far with the forward line they have, and the fact they’ve got the international break before hand. They will come out at us like shit off a shovel.

I would love to have the bragging rights for this more than most what with being a resident of Liverpool, and I think we'll give them a good game but ultimately I think they'll have too much for us and I can't see past us losing this.

The international break doesn’t necessarily help them. They’ll have virtually every fit member of their squad (sans Milner and Nathaniel Phillips, I think) engaged in international games during the break, with the likes of Mane and Salah traveling to Africa for AFCON qualifiers and Alisson to South America for WC qualifiers.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Thanks 1