Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Liverpool (A).. early thoughts.

There are some eerie similarities with the start of the 2000/01 season under Peter Taylor. City went top of the Premier League for the first time ever and top of the league for the first time since the 1930s after 8 games. I still have the league table clipping from a newspaper at the time because I had never seen us in that position before and did not expect to see us in it again. But in that season, like this one, the 8th game was followed by a 2 week break for international football and the next game was Liverpool away, which City lost. I think Heskey got the winner. 

Taylor managed to hold things together for a few more months and we were still 4th in March after beating Liverpool at home, But then came the Wycombe match in the FA Cup and the club went into a tailspin from which it took more than a decade to recover.

I'm not saying that history will repeat itself. I don't think it will but I don't like the parallels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

There are some eerie similarities with the start of the 2000/01 season under Peter Taylor. City went top of the Premier League for the first time ever and top of the league for the first time since the 1930s after 8 games. I still have the league table clipping from a newspaper at the time because I had never seen us in that position before and did not expect to see us in it again. But in that season, like this one, the 8th game was followed by a 2 week break for international football and the next game was Liverpool away, which City lost. I think Heskey got the winner. 

Taylor managed to hold things together for a few more months and we were still 4th in March after beating Liverpool at home, But then came the Wycombe match in the FA Cup and the club went into a tailspin from which it took more than a decade to recover.

I'm not saying that history will repeat itself. I don't think it will but I don't like the parallels. 

Yes I remember that time too. I think in that post Wycombe season we lost 11 out of 12 in that run in beating only Spurs and losing heavily to all the clubs in the relegation zone at home. I was there for most of that!

I think we could nick it with a bit of luck 0–1 recalling the same result in the FA Cup semi at Hillsboro in 1963 when we got an early Stringfellow goal then got battered by Shanklys Liverpool but kept them out thanks mainly to Gordon Banks. I didn’t go to that one but my Grandad did 😊

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, yesterday was the first time they've started their usual front 3 and Jota and I don't think it'll be a very regular line-up for them. In some ways, I think they were worse for their setup yesterday - even with Jota's great start they're having to learn to play a slightly different way. One thing I've learnt watching a lot of Liverpool these last couple of years is that Mane, Salah and Firminho have a fantastic understanding of each other, particular in terms of movement. Everyone knows exactly what they are doing in that 4-3-3, and the importance of that is not talked about enough (in the league in general) I think.

As good as we've been I think we've been a little fortuitous not to have conceded more goals early on in games than we have at this point but this Liverpool team is just a completely different challenge to what we have faced so far with the forward line they have, and the fact they've got the international break before hand. They will come out at us like shit off a shovel.

I would love to have the bragging rights for this more than most what with being a resident of Liverpool, and I think we'll give them a good game but ultimately I think they'll have too much for us and I can't see past us losing this.

56 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

If we play 343 we have a chance not only to nick something but to win the game. From the tactics thread earlier:

Against Man City Liverpool played a 4231 that transitioned into a 424 yesterday, playing both Firmino and Jota:

image.png.44d4ab034703d395d87989b0ca5c98f7.png

They left acres of space in behind their front line, but that is as terrifying a front 4 as you are going to see in world football right now. I thought Jota would be a good player but the start he has made for them has been absurd, you can see that the defensive nature of Wolves held him back a lot, and he's tormented us many times down the years. But if we have Castagne back then I think between him and JJ we should be able to give their wide players a good battle. There's even a rumour that Ricardo could be back for this one, but for me he is too important to risk bringing back early.

I suspect we will play Barnes instead of Praet and have him stand on Wijnaldum when we don't have the ball. We will have to ride the pressure, but just like against Man City, Arsenal and Leeds if our attacking players are on it there are goals to be had against Liverpool, who do not look as strong as they did last season.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, foxinyourbox said:

Liverpool just equalled their club record of 63 games at home without loss... will they make it to 64?

Nope

Celtic-723974.jpg.bc2a76d3c286f2538832aec9816c4ef3.jpg

If I recall correctly wasn’t it us that ended their last record undefeated home run under Jock Wallace (1981 I think) We won 2-1 Melrose getting the winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've got a feeling we'll win and Liverpool won't know what's hit them. Plus we'll do it 'clean', no controversies.

We'll end their huge unbeaten at home run like we did in 81. In fact if they avoid defeat against us in this match they will break that record, 63 consecutive home league matches undefeated  - we won't let that happen.

Klopp will be left lost for words and from this point on people will sincerely take us seriously.

Ps. I think the reason I've never heard Graeme Souness say a good word about us is because we ended that previous run, his team back then of course.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

If I'm not mistaken, yesterday was the first time they've started their usual front 3 and Jota and I don't think it'll be a very regular line-up for them. In some ways, I think they were worse for their setup yesterday - even with Jota's great start they're having to learn to play a slightly different way. One thing I've learnt watching a lot of Liverpool these last couple of years is that Mane, Salah and Firminho have a fantastic understanding of each other, particular in terms of movement. Everyone knows exactly what they are doing in that 4-3-3, and the importance of that is not talked about enough (in the league in general) I think.

As good as we've been I think we've been a little fortuitous not to have conceded more goals early on in games than we have at this point but this Liverpool team is just a completely different challenge to what we have faced so far with the forward line they have, and the fact they've got the international break before hand. They will come out at us like shit off a shovel.

I would love to have the bragging rights for this more than most what with being a resident of Liverpool, and I think we'll give them a good game but ultimately I think they'll have too much for us and I can't see past us losing this.

That's the thing though, that approach can definitely blow teams away inside the first 20 minutes, but it also leaves a lot of space in behind, and we are currently the best team in the division at hitting teams on the break. So I wonder how much respect Liverpool will give us? If Thiago is fit I think they will play him as he was brought to help break down teams with a low block, but otherwise it can play into our hands.

Liverpool recently thrashed Atalanta 5-0 away from home and they are a superb side. But they dared to meet them head on and every time they lost a 1 on 1 duel Liverpool were through on goal. So we can't go for that sort of approach. That's why our current style has a real chance against them, even if they are rightly favourites for the game.

We wont just throw Ricardo straight back into the team after being out for so long. I'd imagine he would get a few sub appearances under his belt before we throw him in. Castagne possibly could return though and hopefully little Wes' injury isnt serious. Liverpool haven't lost at Anfield in a very long time so I would be delighted with a draw but we have shown this season that Rodgers can mix it up a bit and get results against the "big teams". Villa showed just how weak Liverpool's defence can be and without VVD and TAA they are severely weakened. 

We need to play a mixture of the games we seem to play against the better sides, like we did against Man City. We cannot go toe to toe with them, but we have to do something other than just sit back. 

We can sit in, but we need an outlet to capitalise on the space they’ll allow us. Barnes and Vardy are a must. Without VVD they are certainly there for the taking. We need to be as resolute as ever at the back and be clinical going forward. That might sound obvious, but it’s the only way to beat Liverpool. With the defence looking so tight (even as depleted as we thought we were), and with Vardy and Barnes, we can do it. 

If they score early it could be hiding. 

1 hour ago, ceredigion said:

The next game was actually Man Utd at home, which we lost 0-3. I was there, as I remember us being top as I turned 30 some days before. There are so many paralells that are NOT there, and I want to also point out that circumstances now are very different indeed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoyalBlueGaz said:

I've got a feeling we'll win and Liverpool won't know what's hit them. Plus we'll do it 'clean', no controversies.

We'll end their huge unbeaten at home run like we did in 81. In fact if they avoid defeat against us in this match they will break that record, 63 consecutive home league matches undefeated  - we won't let that happen.

Klopp will be left lost for words and from this point on people will sincerely take us seriously.

Ps. I think the reason I've never heard Graeme Souness say a good word about us is because we ended that previous run, his team back then of course.

souness was very complimentary after the man city win 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The next game was actually Man Utd at home, which we lost 0-3. I was there, as I remember us being top as I turned 30 some days before. There are so many paralells that are NOT there, and I want to also point out that circumstances now are very different indeed. 

You're quite right. Having checked the results from that year, the next game was Man U. Liverpool away was the game afterwards. I should have fact checked before posting but I thought ai remembered it clearly. It was 20 years ago though. But I'm delighted to have been detected in an error as it means that the parallel I was worried about does not in fact exist.

Just now, ceredigion said:

You're quite right. Having checked the results from that year, the next game was Man U. Liverpool away was the game afterwards. I should have fact checked before posting but I thought ai remembered it clearly. It was 20 years ago though. But I'm delighted to have been detected in an error as it means that the parallel I was worried about does not in fact exist.

Good. It's always worth remembering that even close paralells are no guarantee of the same outcomes - I know we all have rituals and superstitions, and I guess that's why the ever obliging LCFC thread exists - I guess it's a reassurance of sorts, even if it's totally beyond all reason :) 

56 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Good. It's always worth remembering that even close paralells are no guarantee of the same outcomes - I know we all have rituals and superstitions, and I guess that's why the ever obliging LCFC thread exists - I guess it's a reassurance of sorts, even if it's totally beyond all reason :) 

Wow

• Haha 1

Liverpool won't play into our hands like MC and Arsenal did - they'll try and force us into some possession too.  I'm not against setting up the same way as we did in those matches (which I still think was a mistake against Arsenal, despite the lucky result) but we're going to have to be a lot more resourceful and adaptable after the whistle.