Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Liverpool (A).. early thoughts.

21 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Good. It's always worth remembering that even close paralells are no guarantee of the same outcomes - I know we all have rituals and superstitions, and I guess that's why the ever obliging LCFC thread exists - I guess it's a reassurance of sorts, even if it's totally beyond all reason :) 

Been in several fan forums, and each one seems to have some version of the “ever-obliging” thread. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

All I wanted from this run was 4-6 points. To be on 9 and in with a chance of double figures is great.

For me - free hit. Keep everyone fit and get EL group sewn up ahead of a very winnable run.

Lessons have to be learned from watching our heads drop last year.

I think you’ve contradicted yourself there. If we see this as a ‘free hit’ and get hammered our heads will drop. If we play our game and come out with something (even if that is just some pride) then we’re much more likely to shrug it off. 

The lessons learned from last season would be to play in a way where we don’t get absolutely schooled. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

All I wanted from this run was 4-6 points. To be on 9 and in with a chance of double figures is great.

For me - free hit. Keep everyone fit and get EL group sewn up ahead of a very winnable run.

Lessons have to be learned from watching our heads drop last year.

Don't half read some pony on here but this takes the biscuit.

With that mentality we'd never have won the league. 

What's the point in even bothering with that attitude?

• Like 1

Defensively this is a far weaker side than we squared up against last season. We will get joy if we play positive football in possession.

I'm tempted, however, to play in the same way we did against Man City and Arsenal, because neither seemed to have an answer for it and to see a team of their caliber let us have the ball on their own turf is a complete non-starter. We will have to be alert and defensively compact whatever happens, because the fact that Liverpool are shipping goals for fun is negated by them also remaining ruthless in attack for the most part.

This may be a game to go toe-to-toe and see if our midfield really does have the gonads to stamp authority on a big game, but that will depend entirely on how high a line Liverpool decide to play. We certainly aren't gonna get Demba Ba levels of space in behind, but it's feasible that Vardy could get joy if they do get complacent in possession. 

Put simply, there's no simple answer. What's important, however we set up, is that we are defensively sound but play with the understanding that the end goal will be to score enough goals to win. Personally, I think we'll get more joy in offense in this one with a measured build-up, but who knows? A rope-a-dope could work wonders again if our back 3-4-5-whatever play out of their skins. :whistle:

Just realised I've written a short novel and said absolutely nothing so

TL;DR: winnit
:brendan:

Edited by OntarioFox

2 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

We will be humbled. Can’t see us beating Liverpool with 7 or 8 defenders that Rodgers will put out there and Liverpool still keeping clean sheets.

Keeping clean sheets? They've only managed 1 clean sheet in the league and conceded 16 goals against (second-worst to Leeds' and WBA's 17). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

The international break doesn’t necessarily help them. They’ll have virtually every fit member of their squad (sans Milner and Nathaniel Phillips, I think) engaged in international games during the break, with the likes of Mane and Salah traveling to Africa for AFCON qualifiers and Alisson to South America for WC qualifiers.

and we have quite a few that might normally be away but aren't.

Be an interesting tactical battle. I think we'll keep it at 5 at the back as partly our players available dictate this.

However, Villa pushed right up wide against their full backs with their wide midfield players/wingers and created a lot of problems doing that to stop the Liverpool fullbacks getting forward and then exploiting any space behind them if they did. It also spread their back four creating space for Villa midfield runners who weren't tracked by the Liverpool midfielders. If Castagne and Ricardo were playing i would have liked to see us play a 433/451 formation.

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Keeping clean sheets? They've only managed 1 clean sheet in the league and conceded 16 goals against (second-worst to Leeds' and WBA's 17). 

You are right re Liverpool cleansheets. I was like a TV pundit who didn’t know what he was talking. I read somewhere the Liverpool was still doing well defensively. Apologies.

In fairness, many of the against goals Liverpool conceded came in the Villa game.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Don't half read some pony on here but this takes the biscuit.

With that mentality we'd never have won the league. 

What's the point in even bothering with that attitude?

1 - still missing 4 first-teamers

2 - game coming off the back of international break

3 - we didn't have a very winnable European competition in the title season

This season will be unlike any other. If the choice is between a 3-0 loss but no injuries or 1-0 win and we lose more players, I'd take the hit. The league is a marathon, not a sprint. I absolutely don't want a repeat of last season. A win would be fantastic but not at the expense of knackering more of our already depleted squad. 

Plenty of teams drop points and are fine, long term. Look at Man City's 2012 title win - they practically stumbled over the line. But until Ricardo, Ndidi, Cags and Castagne are back regularly, we'll have to juggle and know when you to slow down and when to speed up.  

39 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

1 - still missing 4 first-teamers

2 - game coming off the back of international break

3 - we didn't have a very winnable European competition in the title season

This season will be unlike any other. If the choice is between a 3-0 loss but no injuries or 1-0 win and we lose more players, I'd take the hit. The league is a marathon, not a sprint. I absolutely don't want a repeat of last season. A win would be fantastic but not at the expense of knackering more of our already depleted squad. 

Plenty of teams drop points and are fine, long term. Look at Man City's 2012 title win - they practically stumbled over the line. But until Ricardo, Ndidi, Cags and Castagne are back regularly, we'll have to juggle and know when you to slow down and when to speed up.  

Unbelievable.

How many injuries are you expecting? lol

If we win 1-0 I'd happily take that if it meant another player being injured for an average length of time, which it goes without saying is by no means a guaranteed sacrifice we'd have to make anyway.