Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Liverpool (A).. early thoughts.

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

If they have most of their defence out injured I don’t think we should be quite so passive defensively. We still have to be aware of Mane, Salah, Jota and Firmino but put them under pressure rather than letting them dictate the game on their terms

Basically copy paste the Man City game plan. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, shen said:

Basically copy paste the Man City game plan. 

Yes but we can't make the same mistake we made against Wolves. There's got to be more pace up front than just Vardy. 

It was great against Man City and Leeds because we actually posed a counter threat. 

• Like 2

This should be the line-up 

Schmeichel

Justin      Fofana/Fuchs   Evans 

Castange     Mendy   Tielemans Thomas

Praet/Maddison Vardy      Barnes.

Under might be out which is a shame. 

Fofana obviously starts but it depends on whether he is injured. 

If Amartey is back I would like to see him at CB again he was quality as a CB. Never should have been used as a Rightback or Midfielder. 

Playing back 5 is good since in order for liverpool to press it they need to over commit leaving them vulnerable to a ball in behind since their first team defence is injured. 

If there was ever a chance of beating Liverpool it's this game.

Edited by Fightforever

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yes but we can't make the same mistake we made against Wolves. There's got to be more pace up front than just Vardy. 

It was great against Man City and Leeds because we actually posed a counter threat. 

Yeh. I think we have to have Barnes up there with Vardy so one of Praet or Maddison has to give.

• Like 2

If we loose , it is not such a big deal in the scheme of things, but we should go there to win, we have a great chance of beating them.

ANFIELD | SAT 31 JAN 1981 AT 15:00 I was at this match, we never had a chance according to the media, but we won a hard game and their big winning run ended. The scousers were not happy, we were lucky to get back to the coach and get home with all the windows in tact, as they were throwing bricks!!!

• - Average age of the Liverpool starting lineup: 28.04
  • - Average age of the Leicester City starting lineup: 22.6
  • - Liverpool league position after match: 3
  • - Leicester City league position after match: 21
  • - Liverpool lose at home for the first time in three years, a run of 85 games without defeat in all competitions has ended.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

We sacrificed Barnes/Ünder in the starting line up for an extra ACM because we knew that Wolves would sit back regardless and we have been horrid at creating much from open play against them at home. At Man City he picked Barnes alongside Vardy and will vs Liverpool IMO.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Perez seems to be the forgotten man now. £30m (possibly?) and can't get into the team unless we have an injury crisis up top like we've had at the back. Perhaps a contractual appearance fee about to be triggered? 

Very much so. But he showed his talent against Braga, and if we carry on playing 3421, he has to be in with a shout of at least bench time. I thought, for example, he’d have been comfortable in the role Praet had against Wolves.

But as I’d still like us to sign another no.8/10, his days might be numbered soon enough?

I'd fvcking love it if we shithoused a win through VAR. Liverpool must be one of the teams that have benefited from some terrible decisions in favour of them over past few season, especially against us. Would be bliss if we could beat them by normal means but if we can do so with VAR favouring us for once against them then that'd be even better. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'd fvcking love it if we shithoused a win through VAR. Liverpool must be one of the teams that have benefited from some terrible decisions in favour of them over past few season, especially against us. Would be bliss if we could beat them by normal means but if we can do so with VAR favouring us for once against them then that'd be even better. 

I'd much rather we won 7-1, with their only goal being a VAR decision that goes against us

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Don't agree it was a mistake against Wolves. Countering was not on the agenda for that game as Wolves always sit deep. We needed technical players who could keep the ball and work openings to pull their deep block out of position. It worked really well until the players understandably ran out of steam in the second half after so many games recently. Agree that against a team playing a high line like Liverpool usually do it makes sense to have Barnes up front with Vards, to try to get behind them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It worked really well

We created **** all and won because we scored a penalty. 

It didn't work well and it was a poor idea. 

Playing the likes of Barnes and Under doesn't just benefit the team because they're fast on the break, playing with width also helps you move the opposition around, get aorund them, get behind them. 

Why do you think every successful possession side in the world is playing with some form of wingers? 

I can't think of a single team in modern football that's had any noteworthy, certainly not long term success playing with four central midfielders at once. Its a complete fantasy that throwing on "more technical players" is suddenly going to make the team more creative. 

Rodgers has had a good season so far tactically, he got it right against Leeds and Man City just as he got it right against West Brom and Burnley. 

Wolves, however, smacked of giving a side far too much respect - again. 

That said, given the frantic nature of the schedule and the injuries left, right and centre - Rodgers should and does get credit for simply every win on the board unscathed. So don't take this as "moaning" or "disrespecting" the manager, certainly neither are my intention. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

We created **** all and won because we scored a penalty. 

It didn't work well and it was a poor idea. 

Playing the likes of Barnes and Under doesn't just benefit the team because they're fast on the break, playing with width also helps you move the opposition around, get aorund them, get behind them. 

Why do you think every successful possession side in the world is playing with some form of wingers? 

I can't think of a single team in modern football that's had any noteworthy, certainly not long term success playing with four central midfielders at once. Its a complete fantasy that throwing on "more technical players" is suddenly going to make the team more creative. 

Rodgers has had a good season so far tactically, he got it right against Leeds and Man City just as he got it right against West Brom and Burnley. 

Wolves, however, smacked of giving a side far too much respect - again. 

That said, given the frantic nature of the schedule and the injuries left, right and centre - Rodgers should and does get credit for simply every win on the board unscathed. So don't take this as "moaning" or "disrespecting" the manager, certainly neither are my intention. 

I share some of the same football principles as you but we've never been any good vs Wolves with far more attacking line ups. They are a pig of a side to play against and break down, like a pound land Atletico from a few years ago. I can see why Rodgers did what he did, we gave them absolutely nothing and looked to over load them in front of their defence rather than have wingers completely marked out the game by them dropping deep.

I still think we could have done what we did better with Ünder in that ACM role than Praet or Maddison and created more but I'm not going to criticise it as it worked. We were far the better side and did create a few chances, we got the goal and knew that they would have to open up if they wanted to properly come at us and they cowardly went at it half arsed and we got the win comfortably. Fcuk um, horrible at times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I share some of the same football principles as you but we've never been any good vs Wolves with far more attacking line ups. They are a pig of a side to play against and break down, like a pound land Atletico from a few years ago. I can see why Rodgers did what he did, we gave them absolutely nothing and looked to over load them in front of their defence rather than have wingers completely marked out the game by them dropping deep.

I still think we could have done what we did better with Ünder in that ACM role than Praet or Maddison and created more but I'm not going to criticise it as it worked. We were far the better side and did create a few chances, we got the goal and knew that they would have to open up if they wanted to properly come at us and they cowardly went at it half arsed and we got the win comfortably. Fcuk um, horrible at times.

"Pig of a side" lollollol Exactly.

12 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Looks like Gomez will be out for them.  Possibly TAA as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54919505

Gomez has had knee surgery, and would be lucky to return before the end of the season.

On a human level, I am gutted for the lad as he's had injury issues that have somewhat stunted his development. However, from a competitive aspect, Gomez always seem to have the odd relatively significant miscue/mistake in him. Accordingly, in Van Dijk's absence, Matip (who's retired from international football) is probably a steadier presence in Liverpool's central defense.