Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Players you forgot played for us

This gentleman ran on for Newport as a late sub against Brighton in the FA Cup the other night and his name rang a bell. 

Had to Google him, as I thought he might have played for us – and he did. But 20+ years ago!!

Had completely forgot about him. The only reason I remembered his name was that he was always the first player I put on a transfer list on Football Manager – and I remember that I could never get rid of him!

www.newport-county.co.png

13 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Stoke 0- leicester 0, Stoke Promoted to the Premiership, Leicester  Relegated to Division 1, | Kappa Sport Pictures

Name this former fox who joined us on loan from Luton Town in 2008.

David Bell?

Now, if anyone thought Maddison’s corners were bad, you should’ve seen this fellas. Don’t think I ever see him take a set piece that beat the front man, ever.

Another a player I haven't forgotten but I can't picture a single moment of his career for us is Colin Hill. I would have watched most of his matches for us but I can't picture a single thing he ever did. I can't remember at all what sort of defender he was, strengths/weaknesses etc.

My only memory of him is when I was mascot against Southend in 1993 and he was laughing hysterically after he asked me who my favourite player was and I replied Mike Whitlow!

2 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Another a player I haven't forgotten but I can't picture a single moment of his career for us is Colin Hill. I would have watched most of his matches for us but I can't picture a single thing he ever did. I can't remember at all what sort of defender he was, strengths/weaknesses etc.

My only memory of him is when I was mascot against Southend in 1993 and he was laughing hysterically after he asked me who my favourite player was and I replied Mike Whitlow!

Remember seeing him in a suit under Hillsborough before he final. 

Decent defender. Limited. 

One of the worst early parts of the post-Taylor meltdown was that we had no money to try and get players in to help us get out of trouble under Bassett and Adams. So we were stuck with trying to get anyone we could. It paid off occasionally- Deane and Dickov were good additions- but it also led to us bringing up washed-up hasbeens with the likes of Taggart injured

Jacob Laursen being the worst choice in this time. Out of shape, slow, an absolute carthorse who we quickly binned after 10 games.

2 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

David Bell?

Now, if anyone thought Maddison’s corners were bad, you should’ve seen this fellas. Don’t think I ever see him take a set piece that beat the front man, ever.

Yes indeed, he joined on loan in view to signing a permanent deal in the summer. However the deal was off following the foxes relegation to League One. He signed for Norwich City instead. Retired from football in 2017 after spell as player manager of Corby Town.

On 18/01/2021 at 11:39, RonnieTodger said:

One the things Iain Hume said about the 2007-08 signings is that a lot of them came through the same agent.

Like a shit version of the deal Wolves have with Mendes. 

Don Mackay had an in with someone iirc and had a big hand in us signing a lot of dross - he didn't last long

On 18/01/2021 at 10:04, HitchinFox said:

This gentleman ran on for Newport as a late sub against Brighton in the FA Cup the other night and his name rang a bell. 

Had to Google him, as I thought he might have played for us – and he did. But 20+ years ago!!

Had completely forgot about him. The only reason I remembered his name was that he was always the first player I put on a transfer list on Football Manager – and I remember that I could never get rid of him!

www.newport-county.co.png

Kevin Ellison 

• Like 1