Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

SK Slavia Prague (A) - Pre Match Thread.

38 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Eurgh, that's a team that would probably lose the away leg given how potent these seem to be at home. If we're planning to try and grind out a draw or narrow loss then I'd rather Choudhary played than Tielemans. No point having Youri wasting energy in a game where we're planning to be very limited.

I actually don't mind if we go for this tactic, I just don't want to see a half way house where we play a team that won't be a cohesive attacking unit and then waste our best players energy.

..... a learning curve for Rodgers....!!!

He doesn't have a great record in Europe, struggled with Celtic and I am not convinced tactically he can compete in Europe. Being at Celtic he was guaranteed European football every year and competing with managers who play the game in various ways and he continually came up short.

Sensible with Ricardo, even though we have very few options at full back right now.

Luke Thomas is the bollocks though, he has been brilliant in the EL this season and I'm glad he is likely to start. I'd rather it be in a back 4 as he has done well when played there and he can then link up better with Barnes in a 4-2-3-1 than with a back 3 but the squad going there ought to have enough to get a result.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

He doesn't have a great record in Europe, struggled with Celtic and I am not convinced tactically he can compete in Europe. Being at Celtic he was guaranteed European football every year and competing with managers who play the game in various ways and he continually came up short.

Perhaps because the Celtic players at his disposal were pretty much of a poor standard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

May be a case of the players he had at his disposal coming up short - rather than His tactics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

I get why Ricardo is being left at home, that’s fair enough but absolutely nobody else should be rested for this game. All the work put in last season was to allow us to play in competitions like this, plus we have a genuine chance of winning it.

If we are going to start playing a weakened side at this stage of the competition we might as we of done it earlier and got knocked out in the group stage 

Nobody else should be rested? What about players who may have picked up knocks vs Liverpool or just come back from injuries?

This notion we rotate because of long term protection of players is not strictly true, maybe in that 2-3 games over Xmas we do each year but other than that it's as a result of giving squad players a game in early rounds of Cup games or because we've players injured or on their arse.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sensible with Ricardo, even though we have very few options at full back right now.

Luke Thomas is the bollocks though, he has been brilliant in the EL this season and I'm glad he is likely to start. I'd rather it be in a back 4 as he has done well when played there and he can then link up better with Barnes in a 4-2-3-1 than with a back 3 but the squad going there ought to have enough to get a result.

Optimism? This is a football forum, not a self-help chit-chat.  Get a grip.

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think we could play a back four if we wanted to Ric. Our RB are options are all unavailable (Ricardo, Castagne, Justin, Fofana, Daley-Campbell). So not only does it look nailed on that Albrighton will start at RWB, he'll play the full 90, and God help us if he picks up an injury!

I had expected Albrighton to play in front of Amartey on Sunday to double up on Grealish as we did so well at the KP last March. I wonder if now the plan will be to play Ricky there (in front of Dan) and play Castagne at LB, assuming Albrighton can't play two games in three days?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Be a back five I reckon - I don’t think he trusts Fuchs or Thomas to play left back 

Strange choice of word. Thomas has been exemplary when fielded this season, and it seems he has a stronger rapport with Barnes than Chilwell did. It also appears that he has greater self-belief than Chilwell - who, in spite of his loss of confidence last season, was always Rodgers first pick. As to Fuchs, he is the consummate professional, past his best but still trustworthy in the decisions he makes, if lacking the speed necessary against the better right-sided attackers.

2 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Strange choice of word. Thomas has been exemplary when fielded this season, and it seems he has a stronger rapport with Barnes than Chilwell did. It also appears that he has greater self-belief than Chilwell - who, in spite of his loss of confidence last season, was always Rodgers first pick. As to Fuchs, he is the consummate professional, past his best but still trustworthy in the decisions he makes, if lacking the speed necessary against the better right-sided attackers.

The point is most times this season when Thomas has played it’s been as part of a back 5 

I would prefer a back 4 really

Kasper

Amartey Evans Cags Thomas

Youri  Mendy Madders

Cengo Nacho Barnes

Relieved to hear that Timothy will be returning soon, and hoping that Praet will make a much speedier recovery than initially expected.

• Like 1

We've managed injuries so well to be fair and that's not by fluke. Each player waiting in the wings knows their role which is testament to Rodgers' fine tuning and detail. It's never felt like square pegs in round holes at all like it had in the past, especially through those dark years around 12 years a go.

I trust whatever team he chooses will all know exactly what to do to get the win and I'm sure there'll be a back up plan if things aren't going to plan.

14 minutes ago, gerblod said:

As Bert has pointed out, it appears Rodgers prefers to play Thomas as a wing-back. Equally Fuchs spent most of his time playing this season as the left-sided centre back to a three. 

Slavia's main danger man Sima plays on the right wing in a Scowcroft esque style likes to use his height. Hence I forsee the five at the back alongside the personnel available to us 

43 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Celtic are shite that’s why. 

Weve spent millions on a playing squad in order to compete on all fronts. Rodgers has continuously trusted the whole squad and it’s repaid his faith so far. No reason why a weakened side tomorrow can’t go there and win, bare in mind it’s likely to still have key players involved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Tell us the last Celtic manager who had a good record in Europe.;)

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Nobody else should be rested? What about players who may have picked up knocks vs Liverpool or just come back from injuries?

This notion we rotate because of long term protection of players is not strictly true, maybe in that 2-3 games over Xmas we do each year but other than that it's as a result of giving squad players a game in early rounds of Cup games or because we've players injured or on their arse.

If someone has picked up a knock against Liverpool then they would be injured and not being rested. As I said the Ricardo situation is fair enough but apart from that we should be at full strength for this.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes looked at his best in back 4 when he's played there IMHO. Palace, Brentford and Athens were all as a back 4.

Not disputing that, was just backing up more what CF said. 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Nonsense comparison....Celtic always come up short...Too many mercenaries , who just Dont  get it,  Or understand  Celtic & Scottish football...

"   and he continually came up short. ".   Weird Way to have a dig at any Manager.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

Disagree and strongly so, and until you (or MORI) take a poll, asserting that hypothesis is fanciful and completely unreliable.

I've never been interested in who's won the Europa Cup - seems like a consolation prize for those teams that are never going to really compete in the CL. Of course, it would be fantastic if City were to win it, however, it's like any other Cup - a lottery. We came close to winning the First Division in 28-29 and 62-63 - that was always the prize I thought would elude us for good. That's now been 'fixed' and now we have a long-running sore to heal in the FA Cup.

Oddly enough, winning the FA Cup probably has more merit in it - those clubs we will have to meet and vanquish if we're to win the trophy are all tougher or as tough as those we'll meet in the EC.

Can I get back to you on that poll please?

It won't be MORI and certainly not a poll on here.

Give me about 10 years or when Leicester win the FA Cup, whichever comes first and I'll have this cracked. 

In the meantime stay firm in your disagreement and I hope your belief and hope can fix that long running sore. 

I wish all Leicester fans that desire the FA Cup the best of luck again and again and again, I want that to be clear. 

I'm still gutted about that 28-29 campaign, so close.

• Haha 3

I’m sure Rodgers will be extra keen to knock out Slavia given that he has lost all four previous Europa League round of 32 ties he has been involved in as a manager - two with Liverpool, two with Celtic. I expect his team selections for both legs to reflect this.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Nonsense comparison....Celtic always come up short...Too many mercenaries , who just Dont  get it,  Or understand  Celtic & Scottish football...

"   and he continually came up short. ".   Weird Way to have a dig at any Manager.....

...I think Jock Stein would have begged to differ!!!