Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

SK Slavia Prague (A) - Pre Match Thread.

Eurgh, that's a team that would probably lose the away leg given how potent these seem to be at home. If we're planning to try and grind out a draw or narrow loss then I'd rather Choudhary played than Tielemans. No point having Youri wasting energy in a game where we're planning to be very limited.

I actually don't mind if we go for this tactic, I just don't want to see a half way house where we play a team that won't be a cohesive attacking unit and then waste our best players energy.

25 minutes ago, Bert said:

I dunno why we are resting players for a tournament where we have a chance of winning especially when we are short on players! 

It’s nailed on 3 centre halves tomorrow for. 

Are we resting?

or are we accepting that players who have been out for a long time cannot play  twice in a week ??

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Eurgh, that's a team that would probably lose the away leg given how potent these seem to be at home. If we're planning to try and grind out a draw or narrow loss then I'd rather Choudhary played than Tielemans. No point having Youri wasting energy in a game where we're planning to be very limited.

I actually don't mind if we go for this tactic, I just don't want to see a half way house where we play a team that won't be a cohesive attacking unit and then waste our best players energy.

Given the huge importance of away goals I've never liked the strategy of playing for a scoreless draw on the road in the first leg.  Makes more sense to try and play an open game and score at least once.  Of course, many of our lineup decisions are going to be based on who's healthy enough to play.

15 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Are we resting?

or are we accepting that players who have been out for a long time cannot play  twice in a week ??

If we’re resting it’s madness. What’s the point of entering every competition? 

If we are accepting players that have been out for a long time cannot play twice in a week then that’s fine. I.E Ricardo. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

If we’re resting it’s madness. What’s the point of entering every competition? 

If we are accepting players that have been out for a long time cannot play twice in a week then that’s fine. I.E Ricardo. 

Couldn't disagree more tbh.

With the three games after this this first leg is all about staying in the tie. We need a fully fit squad for Sunday - play our strongest sides Sunday and Thursday rest key players for Arsenal if necessary. Weve got to utilise the squad and can't afford more injuries to Ricardo Or Castagne.

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think our Academy has one of the highest percentages of people coming through playing in the football league, so it isn't that bad. 

Weve just sold Chilwell for £50m(with add ons it'll go into the £60m mark)

Barnes, Thomas, Hamza are regular starters.

What does a good Academy look like if ours isn't great 🤷‍♂️ 

The guy hasn't done any research whatsoever. Our 23s are also in the top division too whilst we have 3 academy players in the first team, 5 on loan in the championship and 3 on loan at lower levels. Its a bizarre opinion.

Sorry if already posted  - https://www.lcfc.com/news/2032208/preslavia-prague-fitness-update-ricardo-justin-castagne-fofana--prez?fbclid=IwAR0ehYvr5z6l3fotoIqaFHlsxA4X_JsCN7QL5q8cXxhY6Y9DbTVliD8IPSA

Fitness Update: Ricardo, Justin, Castagne, Fofana & Pérez
FIRST TEAM
Published 1 hr 29 mins ago
2 MinutesReading time
Ricardo Pereira will not be part of the travelling squad for Leicester City's UEFA Europa League Round of 32 first leg tie against Slavia Prague as part of a planned phased return from injury, says Brendan Rodgers.
More on this story...
LCFC Radio To Deliver Live Slavia Prague Coverage
The Lowdown: Czech Leaders Slavia Prague
Leicester City's Europa League Group Stage Journey
- Brendan Rodgers provides an injury update ahead of Leicester City's latest UEFA Europa League outing
- The Foxes travel to Sinobo Stadium to face Slavia Prague in the Round of 32 on Thursday 
- Ricardo Pereira will be absent for City in the Czech Republic as part of a phased return to action 
- Rodgers also elaborates on James Justin, Timothy Castagne, Wesley Fofana and Ayoze Pérez

Portugal international Ricardo initially suffered an ACL injury in March 2020 before a further groin strain delayed his return to first team action for the Foxes over the winter months.

The former FC Porto full-back has starred in City's last four Premier League outings, but as he did against Brighton & Hove Albion in the Emirates FA Cup, the 27-year-old will sit out Thursday's clash at Sinobo Stadium (5:55pm GMT kick-off) in order to ease physical loading.

"Most of the players that are fit will travel," Rodgers confirmed inside the King Power Centre at LCFC Training Ground on Wednesday, ahead of the squad's flight to Prague later in the afternoon.

[Ricardo] felt a bit of tightness after the game the other day. He’s coming back from a long injury, As much as we’d love him to play every minute, we have to be conscious of the games and his physical condition.

Brendan Rodgers
"Ricardo won’t be involved. Naturally, he’s coming back from a long-term injury, so we have to be protective of him in games and in terms of how often he’s playing, but apart from that, everyone who’s fit will travel.

"After being out for such a long time and working his way back in, you’ve got to be really careful with the loading [Ricardo] has.

"He felt a bit of tightness after the game the other day. He’s coming back from a long injury. As much as we’d love him to play every minute, we have to be conscious of the games and his physical condition.

"He’ll miss this game, but he should be fresh and fine for the game at the weekend."

Expand photoJames Justin
Full-back James Justin is set for an operation on Thursday.

James Justin, meanwhile, picked up an ACL injury of his own in that FA Cup victory over Brighton and the England Under-21s full-back will undergo an operation to start his recovery later this week.

Rodgers also provided an update on the condition of defenders Timothy Castagne and Wesley Fofana, who are in the process of recuperating from hamstring issues.

Forward Ayoze Pérez, on the other hand, also will not travel and is likely to be out for a number of weeks after picking up a knock against Liverpool.

"James will have an operation on Thursday so he’ll start his recovery process from there," the Northern Irishman explained.

"Timothy is training with the squad and should be okay for the weekend, all being well, and Wesley is still a few weeks away. Ayo [Pérez] will be a couple of weeks, so he’ll be out for the near future."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I don't see it as "resting" as such but managing.

We have a heavy schedule coming up and our three first team full backs are all injured with an ACL, just back from an ACL and the other one has been out for a month.

Resting Ricardo against Slavia is a calculated risk against an opponent who we should be superior and have 180 mins to beat them. We can't play the same players all the time.

Yep, thank god someone gets it. 

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I don't see it as "resting" as such but managing.

We have a heavy schedule coming up and our three first team full backs are all injured with an ACL, just back from an ACL and the other one has been out for a month.

Resting Ricardo against Slavia is a calculated risk against an opponent who we should be superior and have 180 mins to beat them. We can't play the same players all the time.

Yep over 180 we should have enough. But I don’t want us to be in the position next Thursday of being 2-0 down having to chase the game from the off. I’m more talking about Jonny Evans than Ricardo. 

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Reckon it might be

Amartey - Soyuncu - Fuchs

I see most aren't putting Evans in.

Unless I'm missing something the back three should be Amartey, Evans and Soyuncu. We need a solid defence for this one and I'd probably flog Evans until Fofana came back and then look to rotate unless the medical team are advising Evans needs to rest.

Of course it might be a back four of Amartey Evans Soyuncu Thomas

Edited by Gerard

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think our Academy has one of the highest percentages of people coming through playing in the football league, so it isn't that bad. 

The journo probably just went and googled our U23 and U18 results this season :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I agree, but our U23 team is a bit shit and we often have players still on the books, when it's obvious they won't make it.

It's probably because in Czech football, they're more reliant on ready-made stars, because they won't have the scouting network that we have and will lose their best players every season.