Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks for the scouting report!

I was delighted with that Brora v. Hearts result as I attended a match at Brora in 1989, while hitch-hiking back from John O'Groats. Brora lost 2-3 to Buckie Thistle in a Scottish Cup qualifier - great game including a fantastic Brora goal.

In the club "shop" afterwards, when he heard how far I'd come the bloke gave me a free Brora Rangers pennant and a large glass of malt. I've had a soft spot for them ever since.

I see they've now gone out of the cup to Stranraer. I'd have been torn over who to support in that match as Stranraer were the Scottish team I "supported" in childhood after taking the Stranraer-Larne ferry for a family holiday as a kid.

There was an ad in Shoot magazine offering badges of all the English & Scottish clubs for sale. I sent off for the Stranraer badge but got a reply saying they didn't stock that one......just one of life's little disillusionments! :D

Had our honeymoon in Edinburgh and stayed in Leith, too.....but we'll draw a veil over that one as I'm divorced now!

I can understand why Stranraer lie so lowly

They would save a lot of points by signing Hibs goalie 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

How many players have left liverpool and progressed/improved ??

Probably nobody since Sterling, and even Sterling wasn't a case of Liverpool discarding someone for over the odds because he's no longer up to it, that was just a stronger club at that time taking a player from them. Liverpool are one of the savviest operators in the market, probably the best club in Europe at selling players for over the odds, I think the worst thing we can do as somebody hoping to directly compete with them is give them £30mil for an injury prone player they've decided isn't right for them.

He's been a huge disappointment has Keita. I thought he'd be excellent as well, but he's been a letdown.

I wouldn't deviate from our transfer policy. Last summer was fine - maybe a player or two short, but all the right types of additions. I'd have no regrets on Under, it hasn't worked out but it's barely cost a thing and it was worth a go for that price. The other two have been good additions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Probably nobody since Sterling, and even Sterling wasn't a case of Liverpool discarding someone for over the odds because he's no longer up to it, that was just a stronger club at that time taking a player from them. Liverpool are one of the savviest operators in the market, probably the best club in Europe at selling players for over the odds, I think the worst thing we can do as somebody hoping to directly compete with them is give them £30mil for an injury prone player they've decided isn't right for them.

He's been a huge disappointment has Keita. I thought he'd be excellent as well, but he's been a letdown.

I wouldn't deviate from our transfer policy. Last summer was fine - maybe a player or two short, but all the right types of additions. I'd have no regrets on Under, it hasn't worked out but it's barely cost a thing and it was worth a go for that price. The other two have been good additions.

I'm always wary of taking players on the way down, it rarely works out well.

Much prefer signing the best players from teams lower down the food chai.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Tbh not even sure I'd take Aguero. Injury record is bad and he's 33 in a few months. 

Injury ridden and would want £350k a week. He’s got North London written all over him IMO. Levy will already be on the phone, with Arsenal no doubt sniffing around. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

In 12-18 months it's likely that Tarks would be ahead of Evans in the pecking order, I think he's 34 in January, so in 20 months he'll be 35, he'll end up being used like Morgan, kept around for experience and then gets the odd game when we're desperate or in the earlier cup rounds etc.

I think we've got to look at the fact it's likely one of Cags or Fofane won't be here in 18 months too, so we can start to bed someone in early, rather than buying someone and chucking them straight into the first team hoping for the best.

You make very fair points. The good thing about Evans is he plays with his head so I'd have no qualms over using him in the right situations when he's pushing 35+. The concern for me are the niggles he is picking up, which will only get worse as he gets older (and continues to play for NI).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

I'm always wary of taking players on the way down, it rarely works out well.

Much prefer signing the best players from teams lower down the food chai.

I think it's OK until you hit a certain level. Like a Palace signing Batshuayi type deal is fine. If we really want to kick on from here, the last thing we should be doing is giving our rivals good money for players they no longer need. I wouldn't be buying off Liverpool or Man City personally.

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not on his wages !

I may be underestimating where Aguero is at, he looks well past his best to me now, but I suppose at his best he's been probably the key player of the best team in the country over the past 10 or so years, so it's a high level to drop from.

Galatasaray and Fenerbahce do both love an ex Premier League player like that. Who knows. I think he'd be a mistake for Barcelona - who have been linked.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I may be underestimating where Aguero is at, he looks well past his best to me now, but I suppose at his best he's been probably the key player of the best team in the country over the past 10 or so years, so it's a high level to drop from.

Galatasaray and Fenerbahce do both love an ex Premier League player like that. Who knows. I think he'd be a mistake for Barcelona - who have been linked.

Barcelona love a good mistake and they’re skint. 

Gray, Ghezzal, Perez, Under - all signed to fill that tricky RW/RF spot. All given a chance, and all ultimately lost their places to Albrighton.

Reminds me of some years ago when each summer we’d sign a midfielder to provide an upgrade on Andy King. By October, Kingy’d be a regular starter again!

Fifth time lucky?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Barcelona love a good mistake and they’re skint. 

The two are largely linked. I dunno about this one with Barcelona, they've got their old president back now so it could change, but their transfer policy over the last 5 years has been by a mile the worst in Europe.