Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I'm not sure Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid can be classed as underdogs. 

At least not in the same vein as the other teams, especially us! 

They can be in the sense that aren't the prominent team, like you'd expect Juve and Barca/Real to walk their leagues. 

But you're right, they can't be compared to Villareal, Lille and ourselves

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They can be in the sense that aren't the prominent team, like you'd expect Juve and Barca/Real to walk their leagues. 

How’s the 5th best team in England winning the FA an underdog story?

Edited by OhYesNdidi

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

I'm not sure Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid can be classed as underdogs. 

At least not in the same vein as the other teams, especially us! 

I never realised till the other day but Villarreal until yesterday have won naff all. Shocked me because living in Spain in the mid 2000s I remember hearing about them and Valencia a lot. Couldn't actually believe it's taken till now. Fair play though, cracking first major trophy to win!

49 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

How’s the 5th best team in England winning the FA an underdog story?

Because we're not the 5th biggest team. What's your reasoning for calling us the 5th best team in the country? If it's the fact that we finished 5th, then you could argue that Lille are the best team in France because they won their league, and in that sense them winning the league isn't an underdog story either

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TiffToff88 said:

Because we're not the 5th biggest team. What's your reasoning for calling us the 5th best team in the country? If it's the fact that we finished 5th, then you could argue that Lille are the best team in France because they won their league, and in that sense them winning the league isn't an underdog story either

We finished 5th last year? The only reason we ended up 5th is due to relegation form for the last third of the season two years in a row. I didn’t say we were the 5th biggest, I said we were the 5th best. 

4 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

We finished 5th last year? The only reason we ended up 5th is due to relegation form for the last third of the season two years in a row. I didn’t say we were the 5th biggest, I said we were the 5th best. 

But the fact we are doing it on the 10th biggest budget makes us overachieving underdogs which is the whole point.

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But the fact we are doing it on the 10th biggest budget makes us overachieving underdogs which is the whole point.

Unlike Spurs, who are underachieving overdogs. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Just sounds patronising - don’t ever remember seeing Spurs get labelled with the underdog tag when they were finishing in the top 4? We’re the 5th best team in the league, so winning the FA Cup isn’t that far fetched I wouldn’t say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Just sounds patronising - don’t ever remember seeing Spurs get labelled with the underdog tag when they were finishing in the top 4? We’re the 5th best team in the league, so winning the FA Cup isn’t that far fetched I wouldn’t say.

But my point was that by the same logic, Lille are the best team in France so why is them winning the league an underdog story?

Maybe the fact this is the 1st time since 1884 that we've won the FA Cup after failing four times at the final hurdle as opposed to Man Utd 12 times winners and Chelsea 8 times winners who we beat on the way to winning it.

Not sure what I’m reading here, (often happens on FT).

Are we saying that because we won the Premier League we weren’t the under dogs?  Or that we weren’t the underdogs winning the FA Cup?  Mind, blown. 

Until we can compete financially with the bigger clubs, (never happening), we will ALWAYS be the underdogs. That the way aha aha, I like it, that’s the way aha aha I like it. Sing it brothers and sisters. 

• Like 4

We were underdogs in the final especially financially but it didn’t feel that way on the day, on paper there were a number of our players I’d prefer over theirs. Doesn’t devalue the achievement in anyway. Villarreal last night felt more like an underdog win to me.

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I’d disagree on Atletico again though, they’ve won the same amount of leagues as Real Madrid since they won their previous title (2 each) and since 2017 they have finished above Real Madrid 3 times in the league. I think they are far more competitive and less of an underdog than people realise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

But my point was that by the same logic, Lille are the best team in France so why is them winning the league an underdog story?

But we’ve finished 5th two seasons in a row, if we finished 5th last year and dropped to 10th you’d say, they overachieved!? But to do it back to back suggests that where our quality places us within this division.

2 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

I’d disagree on Atletico again though, they’ve won the same amount of leagues as Real Madrid since they won their previous title (2 each) and since 2017 they have finished above Real Madrid 3 times in the league. I think they are far more competitive and less of an underdog than people realise.

And they were in the Big Wallets League for special little boys. Underdog Card revoked!

9 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Well we are the 5th best team in the country. Lille obviously were the best team in France. Pretty much anyone winning ligue 1 other than PSG is an underdog story. 

• Like 4