Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Instant reaction , Well done team and Brendan but Jesus don't put me through that again. Thank God the HT talk seemed better than the prematch send out and the subs although still a bit late for me were OK. Thank you Mr Flair Ric Flair and bless you , your boy did n't disgrace himself and for a debut he did well. I'm only sorry BR did n't use the opportunity to grow some bigger ones and rest JV., we would n't have struggled so much. Love JV and he,ll always volunteer if he feels he can help the team. I don't think he can at the moment but after all he's done I can't really blame him ,or BR for feeling he's indispensable . He' s not and no one ever will be but he will come close again and the longer he is the more blessed we'll be. He's not even scaring the opposition at the moment as the match proceeds. Brighton  certainly are n't gash as some claimed unless you think we are as well . Fan hubris , a deadly rot.if it spreads.The team you play in the NM are never Gash. and its always the most important match. BR, like Pep , should n't be looking for good, we need him looking for perfection. You can't by definition ever get that against gash. 

Thank god we have a week for training  in some of the basics ,Not diamonds , triangles, shape and other bullshit. Just basics , set pieces,accurate passing ,pressing. defending with less players. That definitely improved 2nd half,8 dropped to 6 and we looked better for it .JV sadly, for now is not even pressing well and iheanacho is the obvious man to take up the slack. He's much better but I saw him shirk at least 2 opportunites after he'd scored, probably no coincidence. Castagne, Ndidi, Tielemans , obviouly Vardy, Soyuncu all below par first half, but I did manage to preserve a couple of fingernails second half.. One thing I did notice today. its good to press in packs but once you've caught one agree who.s going to bite their leg. One biter with two or one standing another yard and a half further away to step in two paces before he/they bite   , while the other two/one recover and resharpen their teeth. You're all getting in each others way, like defending with ten or 8 men at a set piece. Looks ugly and is wasteful and believe it or not less effective.

Player ratings tomorrow there 's a few bits in that first half I need to look at again.

Edited by Alan Frost
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

sorry I was wondering who was supposed to be playing left wing in the 442.

To be honest, I didn't read it as a conventional 442 personally with 2, more traditional type wingers. I merely saw it like the commentators in that defensively we went from a 3 (with 2 wing backs) to 4 at the back which added some solidity in real terms I thought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finn Claw II said:

Not great but let’s not pretend Brighton were any good

We won the game on xG if you like that sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

How good is Wesley Fofana btw?

Thought he was a calamity tonight. Twice ballwatching which led to their goal and then an offside goal. Lost the ball on the edge of own box which he thankfully made 

58 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Week rest is massive to be honest.

Also don't underestimate the fact there will likely not have been a proper catch up and tactical session as we've been playing all the time.

Going out of Europe saddened me, but now it might become an asset, directly and indirectly, as we get more times to prepare (and recuperate) physically and mentally and get more time on tactical considerations.

I've been a bit annoyed by the criticisms of BR during our injury crisis as he's had such little time to adjust our approach with the players.

I don’t think people quite understand this - we’ve had very little tactical preparation over the last few weeks and very little time to do proper organisation stuff on the training ground. 

34 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

When Vardy is fit (and he shouldn't even be back yet at all) we will be some proposition.

I though he looked far more on it tonight. 

Cracking story about Castagne tonight. Pre match he got told rather than zonal, he was one of the man markers tonight. He was fuming when he got told it was Dan Burn he was up against 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

To be honest, I didn't read it as a conventional 442 personally with 2, more traditional type wingers. I merely saw it like the commentators in that defensively we went from a 3 (with 2 wing backs) to 4 at the back which added some solidity in real terms I thought. 

weather or not we played 3 or 4 at the back 2nd half we certainly put a lot more effort into the game, ps over the moon for Amartey who gets so much unfair comments on here because he is not the greatest on the ball but he made a great interception for our 1st goal and then scored the winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Dunk did catch him first, he fell and as he fell he did put his leg back into Dunk. But the first contact without touching the ball should be enough. Seen much lighter touches given by VAR. This one was actually pretty clear a penalty. The fact that the ref was not even called to see it was baffling. Even amongst VAR controversies this is way up there to be honest. If we didn’t win we will be talking about it for a week.

As usual you talk much sense. I'll have another look at that. I missed it but did think it was a penalty. As I've recently posted we cheat a bit less than most but we do cheat a bit sometimes. I'm going to excuse Vardy . I think since joining LCFC , meeting Vichai and BR, Claudio and others he's become one of the good guys, very much so by football standards.He's also older of course which helps as you and I would agree. I am prepared to believe he's currently well aware he's not contributing as much ,or even much and felt an irresistible urge to contribute a goal. I'm glad it did n't work. He'd have undoubtedly have taken it and probably would have been tempted into hitting it at near supersonic speed . I don't think that .while understandable would have been wise for him at the moment.

I think we have many admirable and good guy players , not just JV but most of them and I'm relying on BR to get a bit uglier and put a little , not much , devilment into several of them .

Barnes is OK, and Choudbury thay at least eventually get angry. OK if they control it. Under's far too nice  . If Roy Keane had been treated the same we'd be looking for a new manager. I don't think Keane would have killed him but he'd have been severely disabled, probably "accidentally" in training but Keane would have let him know why the "accident" regrettably happened. As you probably know Keane had a very long memory and was happy to wait for years. To Keane's credit imo he never claimed to be anything else.. and when he deserved punching to the ground , as Clough famously did, the incident was immediately forgotten. All Keane had done was give an important goal away with a loose pass . Unforgiveable to both of them.Its all in print ,written up by RK.and verified, but maybe a little exaggerated altho Clough certainly put him down..

Edited by Alan Frost

15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We won the game on xG if you like that sort of thing. 

Thought he was a calamity tonight. Twice ballwatching which led to their goal and then an offside goal. Lost the ball on the edge of own box which he thankfully made 

I don’t think people quite understand this - we’ve had very little tactical preparation over the last few weeks and very little time to do proper organisation stuff on the training ground. 

I though he looked far more on it tonight. 

Cracking story about Castagne tonight. Pre match he got told rather than zonal, he was one of the man markers tonight. He was fuming when he got told it was Dan Burn he was up against 

Yeah, first half we were all over the place, I meant just the last 30 minutes tbh

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Tielemans is just unbelievable, I don't think he's even been allowed to sleep in the last 12 months or so and he just oozes absolute class even though he must be absolutely fvcked 

That pass to Kelechi was just class. Brilliant 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, dormelcfc said:

Brighton really must hate playing us. Not beat us since 2014, only scored three goals against us since they got promoted.

We've scored five goals alone after 80+ minutes, including two winners (both of those being this season) 😂

So it's offical we're actually a bogey team for someone.

20 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

weather or not we played 3 or 4 at the back 2nd half we certainly put a lot more effort into the game, ps over the moon for Amartey who gets so much unfair comments on here because he is not the greatest on the ball but he made a great interception for our 1st goal and then scored the winner.

Absolutely, he always gives of his best and after a long lay off has had to play in different positions with different players due to injury. Certain others will make similar mistakes and get away with it. Thought he was certainly one of our better performers today. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Always Next Year said:

Watch Rodgers make himself look good in the post match interview, by telling everyone we controlled the game.

Why the dig at the manager? Who would you rather have leading the team? 

Great win in the circumstances. I thought we would lose the last 2 games. 8 players out and the regulars running on empty. 4 points is a great return. 

If we can get top 4 I see a golden era for Leicester. We have the best manager and squad we have ever had in 40 years of supporting us. We are a couple of signings away from giving anybody a game in world football. That top 4 will enable us to keep the talent we have and add to it. 

• Like 4

Excellent win. Had to dig deep for it and manage good spells from Brighton but getting that over the line is a real shot in the arm and makes the point at Turf Moor a better result imo. With all of the injuries, and the disappointment of going out of Europe before being outclassed by Arsenal, avoiding defeat at Burnley was essential and we did that. Building on that tonight with 3 huge points is credit to the squad.

Tielemans' no-look pass had me out my seat, dripping in sauce and utterly world class. A second excellent finish from Iheanacho in as many games. Also pleased for Amartey to have had his moment. He's done his bit this year so was good to see.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Already posted as a video, but even better in GIF form!

giphy.gif

That is lovely. The perfectly weighted pass, the look of resignation on Dunk's face as he realises it's gone straight through to the best finisher the league has ever seen, the audacity to make the keeper step to the right and then dink it into the top corner. Unbelievable

• Like 3

I've watched Brighton a few times this season, this was typical of them. There's been a lot of games they could have won and haven't. They're not far off being top half finishers with more lethal finishing

Is any one else getting sick of this game Rodgers is playing , all we seem to do in the 1st half is play backwards and it has cost us two early goals against . In the second half we played more go forward and looked much better but still shit . 
also we are lacking attacking players at present yet UNDER does not even get a run , he must be wanting to leave the way he’s been used , yes he has to pick up his work rate but he is the best we have going forward at present.

That pass from Youri for the first goal?!  Unreal pass. To think that little old Leicester have a player in midfield capable of doing that.

Immense second half performance from the boys, absolutely huge win. 

Hope Brighton stay up, it's a good away day, nice stadium and they play attacking, open football, unlike many down there with them.

• Like 1