Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

39 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I think when Rodgers eventually moves in we could do a lot worse than Graham Potter. 

It would be very interesting to see what he can produce working with a group of players who don't shit themselves every time they get into the box

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Guest said:

That is lovely. The perfectly weighted pass, the look of resignation on Dunk's face as he realises it's gone straight through to the best finisher the league has ever seen, the audacity to make the keeper step to the right and then dink it into the top corner. Unbelievable

Was it just me that thought Nacho had waited too long to shoot?! Good sign that he has so much confidence to do what he did. Very nice, composed finish.

• Like 2

That was a gut-check 2nd half.  Very lucky to get the 2nd on a howler by the keeper, but nice finish by Big Dan just the same.  A huge three points.

Truthfully, I think it would be hard to point at anybody besides Kelechi and say they had a really good game.  Vardy was better but still lacking any touch, Tielemans still looks spent but made the key pass, Amartey was grim on the ball as usual most of the night, Wilf was pretty awful yet again, Fofana had a couple of howlers but he and Cags both started some attacks with deft touch from the back, Tavares showed flashes but was largely invisible.  But it shows the power of work rate and commitment.  Too many times we've lost points because we just didn't seem to have any sense of urgency (especially late last season).  We didn't do anything great in the 2nd half but he kept driving, kept moving the ball, at least trying to make something happen.  And as a result managed to shlthouse three points against a side that's clearly better than their record indicates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baldeagle said:

Make no mistake that  was a massive win . We’ve had a run of injuries and poor results we had a  bench that was full of the youth team and we had a young lad make his Premiership start . We went 1-0 down and looked dead-and buried we were terrible first half . Second half the lads dug in and kept going and got better and better . Was it pretty no but I’d like to see another team with so many first team  injuries with such a hectic schedule do what we’re doing . 

Keep hearing 'all teams have had injuries, look at Liverpool and Southampton'. 

How may points are they behind?

2 hours ago, turlo said:

That bitter Forest Fan made a complete tit out of himself as usual

He's a Man United fan

Edited by hackneyfox
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

Is any one else getting sick of this game Rodgers is playing , all we seem to do in the 1st half is play backwards and it has cost us two early goals against . In the second half we played more go forward and looked much better but still shit . 
also we are lacking attacking players at present yet UNDER does not even get a run , he must be wanting to leave the way he’s been used , yes he has to pick up his work rate but he is the best we have going forward at present.

You do realize that Under is injured don't you ?

Brendan plays the cards he is dealt & usually does quite well. You on the other hand don't seem to understand what has happened even when it's over

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

You do realize that Under is injured don't you ?

Brendan plays the cards he is dealt & usually does quite well. You on the other hand don't seem to understand what has happened even when it's over

In aust mate we don’t get updated information , like under been injured 

55 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Was it just me that thought Nacho had waited too long to shoot?! Good sign that he has so much confidence to do what he did. Very nice, composed finish.

If Vardy had done that you'd never hear the last of it (in typical broadcast style).

On watching the whole match again:

• The 6-2-2 formation has to go tonight.  The entire point of having Wilf is that he is the extra man in the middle, you don't need another.  Which leads to
  • Tonight was a 6-1-3 because Tavares played so high that Kel changed his shorts at half and had to punt Tavares aside to do so.  Which leads to
  • Youri getting trashed tonight in all corners until "the" pass.  Tavares playing so high left Youri alone so often he was covering for two. Madds, baby, come back.
  • Tavares was lost. He's a domestic cup sub.
  • BD must be very uncomfortable on the left. Little Wes should be on the right and Cags in the middle of a back three.  Little Wes was a mess in the middle tonight.
  • Lastly, Kel is fine.  4-4-1-1 until we're through the injuries and let Kel sit in the hole.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bptiger said:

Is any one else getting sick of this game Rodgers is playing , all we seem to do in the 1st half is play backwards and it has cost us two early goals against . In the second half we played more go forward and looked much better but still shit . 
also we are lacking attacking players at present yet UNDER does not even get a run , he must be wanting to leave the way he’s been used , yes he has to pick up his work rate but he is the best we have going forward at present.

First question - we are second in the league with 10 games to go and in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup - in a season where almost every first team player has had a period in the treatment room. I’m not sick of anything Brendon does- in fact I quite like it.

Second point - Under was injured hence not in the squad today.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Keep hearing 'all teams have had injuries, look at Liverpool and Southampton'. 

How may points are they behind?

He's a Man United fan

And how many actual first team players do they have out in one go . At one point we had 10 first team players out we're doing incredibly well 

3 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

I get what they're trying to do but that conflict of subjectivity and objectivity with VAR feels problematic at times. It's why I'm presuming they initially wanted any touch of the arm in the box considered handball. It stopped any subjectivity. Knowing they'd call that Vardy foul a pen' but not give it just makes people ask the question, what's the point. And we've seen decisions that have been far more egregious than that tbf. And within that we have to also interpret that they haven't seen too much wrong in the on pitch ref's initial decision. There's this series of disconnects. In rugby they don't do this right?  

In rugby they review everything have specifically designed rules for everything and is much poorer for it. Scrums are just joke and I have gone from being a massive rugby fan to finding it incredibly dull.

Var should have been brought in gradually and used to for the things it can define, did it hit the hand, yes or no, not did it hit the hand, was it deliberate, was it in an unnatural position, was it with in the silhouette if the body... Initially VAR should have been used in cases like today Arsenal vs Burnley clearly hit his shoulder, not handball ref made a mistake. Or when Liverpool got a pen for the ball hitting Morgan in the head. It should also be used for off the ball incidents or any on the ball incident that the ref didn't see, let the ref have a look. The other yes no question in football is offside, and look at the balls up they have made of that.

The problem with awarding a penalty for the Vardy incident is those tackles happen and go unpunished every game as long as they happen outside the box, suddenly in the box everything becomes a major incident. The main reason the ref didn't give it was because it was a genuine attempt to get the ball against a forward who will go down easily. From his position he can't see when the split second contact was or wasn't made with player or ball, he can sense the intent of the defender was to win the ball cleanly and he's a good honest defender and Vardy is known for looking for contact and not making a huge effort to stay in his feet. The rules around fouls are so badly written anything could be a foul and is if the ref thinks it is.

Is it right? Not all the time, but it is better than what football has become. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

And how many actual first team players do they have out in one go . At one point we had 10 first team players out we're doing incredibly well 

You sure about that? Don't we pull up claims about Liverpool having 8 out and the name the goalie, 3 forwards and a midfielder?

You're right though, unbelievable to be where we are right now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

That was a gut-check 2nd half.  Very lucky to get the 2nd on a howler by the keeper, but nice finish by Big Dan just the same.  A huge three points.

Truthfully, I think it would be hard to point at anybody besides Kelechi and say they had a really good game.  Vardy was better but still lacking any touch, Tielemans still looks spent but made the key pass, Amartey was grim on the ball as usual most of the night, Wilf was pretty awful yet again, Fofana had a couple of howlers but he and Cags both started some attacks with deft touch from the back, Tavares showed flashes but was largely invisible.  But it shows the power of work rate and commitment.  Too many times we've lost points because we just didn't seem to have any sense of urgency (especially late last season).  We didn't do anything great in the 2nd half but he kept driving, kept moving the ball, at least trying to make something happen.  And as a result managed to shlthouse three points against a side that's clearly better than their record indicates.

People keep saying we were lucky or shithoused a win, but in truth although we were far from our best, we were comfortably the best team in All bar the first 30 mins.

We created 4/5 decent chances and should have had a penalty- in return, we gave them a goal and for the rest of the game they had one shot which was a pretty routine save for Kasper.

Brighton play nicer on the eye football than Burnley and are tighter at the back than Leeds but all in all offered nothing to that game. 
I can easily see them going down.

Fantastic and a much needed win and confidence booster! 

I think we are still far too easily opened up in defence and I am not sure why, maybe a combination of Soyuncu and N'didi still not at their very best. I also don't like 3 at the back, as it seems to cause confusion on who should be where or tracking who. 

We showed glimpses of our old selves in attack though, especially after we scored. Everything was snappier and slicker and we cut them open a few times. Need to see much more of that, if we are to continue winning games. Brighton could have been 2-0 up with the post and Kasper saving us again. A much needed rest will help massively though. Pressing with intensity is absolutely key to our success and something Rodgers remarked on in his interview. 

I think we can now go into the next game with a huge amount of confidence and if we win that, then we are very much back in a great position to get over the line! 

Ups and downs Foxes fans! Enjoy the ride :scarf:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 18to18 said:

On watching the whole match again:

• The 6-2-2 formation has to go tonight.  The entire point of having Wilf is that he is the extra man in the middle, you don't need another.  Which leads to
  • Tonight was a 6-1-3 because Tavares played so high that Kel changed his shorts at half and had to punt Tavares aside to do so.  Which leads to
  • Youri getting trashed tonight in all corners until "the" pass.  Tavares playing so high left Youri alone so often he was covering for two. Madds, baby, come back.
  • Tavares was lost. He's a domestic cup sub.
  • BD must be very uncomfortable on the left. Little Wes should be on the right and Cags in the middle of a back three.  Little Wes was a mess in the middle tonight.
  • Lastly, Kel is fine.  4-4-1-1 until we're through the injuries and let Kel sit in the hole.

Don't over do the positives! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

You sure about that? Don't we pull up claims about Liverpool having 8 out and the name the goalie, 3 forwards and a midfielder?

You're right though, unbelievable to be where we are right now.

I may be wrong but I am sure I read a couple of their so called injured players had never even made it into the first team or made an appearance. 

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Don't over do the positives! 

Flip the script:

• Wilf is massive enough to create a back 3 any time.  Let Wilf be Wilf.
  • Very encouraging that Tavares wants to get forward.
  • Youri was so good, Tavares felt he could get forward with abandon.
  • Tavares has advanced to the point that BR should be comfortable with him as a cup sub.
  • BR can test Little Wes in the middle of a 3 and still win matches.  Wonderful.
  • Kel should be slotted into the hole. His link-up is excellent.